Countersteer class!

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
Bailout
Achievement count: 0

Countersteer class!

Post by Bailout » Tue May 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Ok so i'm out enjoying the sun by lake Ray Roberts and run up behind a rice burner (hehehe) that is slowing me down on the corners, yeah I know go figure, so he stops at the next gas station and I pull in behind to chat the guy up and find out what is going wrong.

Yup first day on the new bike. He has Liscens and all but never went to a class.

Damn I forgot how hard it is to esplain countersteer to a newbie!

So for you that have taken the class do they go over that in the beginneer class??
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible

DLSGAP
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider

Post by DLSGAP » Tue May 15, 2007 3:46 pm

they did in the class i took but that was in Tennessee....but the roads in that area would require it to be used ALOT more than here....i still use it here... i jsut don't wear out my front tire here like i did back there...
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8

tracykyleharris

Counter

Post by tracykyleharris » Tue May 15, 2007 4:14 pm

They cover it in the MSF safety course. Send him to them.
- - - - - -
Tracy Kyle Harris
1998 KTM 620SX Street SuperMoto conversion

doughboy

Post by doughboy » Tue May 15, 2007 8:06 pm

yes they do!!!
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value!

Edmond_Dantes

Post by Edmond_Dantes » Tue May 15, 2007 9:17 pm

They still did when I took it 4 years ago at Honda in Irving.
1990 ZG1000 Concours
"...They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue May 15, 2007 9:42 pm

The MSF class covers it in detail for quick changes of lanes. They even have a drill that is part of the final called 'obstruction avoidance'. Not quite the same as using CS to set yourself up for a corner, but it's a good place to start. Using CS to weave in and out of cones at speed is a good drill to feel what the bike is doing under you. The bike can actually move a foot or two under you without your body really changing it's relative position to the direction of travel. Comes in real handy in avoiding potholes!
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Bailout

Post by Bailout » Wed May 16, 2007 5:43 am

Yeah I thought I remembered people saying they went over it. I told the kid he really should look into it. Hopefully he will show up here soon also. He needs some good advice.

I fear he may fall to the dark side of squidly ways!!
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250

DLSGAP

Post by DLSGAP » Wed May 16, 2007 8:24 am

yeah... i get asked all the time how i throw my 500lb brick around so quickly...

my first thought is.. hell she handles like a dream... then i realize they have no concept of counter steering. so i explain what i can trying to use words that are monosyllabic enough for them to understand and i tell them to try a simple slalom in a parking lot to get a feel for what it does... most are amazed at how well their bikes handle compared to what they had been experiencing....
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Counter Steering

Post by U-Turn » Wed May 16, 2007 9:31 am

Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 16, 2007 3:05 pm

I don't understand how you could ride a bike and not counter steer. Even if you don't know exactly what it is that you're doing, you can't help but do it. The bike just won't turn at speed if you try to turn like you do at slow speeds.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Bailout

Post by Bailout » Wed May 16, 2007 3:10 pm

it was literally like following a baby giraffe!! he was fighting the bike in corners instead of letting it do its thing which is why i brought it up with the guy.

like they say.....if at first you don't succeed.....you better have good insurance!
2004 V-Rod 1250

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Wed May 16, 2007 3:36 pm

I was actually doing that when I first started riding the Superhawk. I used to do it on the cruiser but never made the connection on the sportbike. Going into corners was scary.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

digi

Post by digi » Wed May 16, 2007 4:34 pm

I just lean and point with my face, everything just works.

Too weird when you actually think about it.
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 16, 2007 4:57 pm

yeah, that's my thing, I never thought about it, even after learning about it I just now had a name for what I already was doing naturally. I did think it a bit odd though when I was reading the book from the DMV before taking the test and it said to make a left turn you push left and to make a right turn you push right. I thought that was odd but never really realized that's what I was doing naturally anyway.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Wed May 16, 2007 5:43 pm

Just before I started riding with ya'll I would just lean into a turn and the bike only went so far on it's own. I couldn't make it lean more. I mentioned it to a friend and he said to push it more. I'm thinking faster? So I started to push and presto! the bike leans more. Still trying to get used to it because I push a little and it moves down a little, push a little more and it drops a lot ! Didn't know it's called countersteering until this thread.
Then last weekend I just started pushing it more and keep repeting Trust The Tires. I've shortened that to T's. Riding is a lot more fun now then it was just a month ago.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:34 pm

It certainly helps to get off the bike a bit when leaning, it not only lowers your center of gravity, but helps make the leaning / pushing easier.

Bird

Post by Bird » Wed May 16, 2007 8:43 pm

Karl817 wrote:Then last weekend I just started pushing it more and keep repeting Trust The Tires. I've shortened that to T's. Riding is a lot more fun now then it was just a month ago.
There's a really good article on 'Crash or GO for it' that I'll try to find and post up. It was written by a local racer from Eurosport Cycles and it's much better than repeating "T's". The jist of it is that you make only TWO decisions when you enter into a corner a little 'hot' ... either crash, or go for it. You'll be surprised what the bike can do if you ask just a LITTLE more of the tires, suspension and your ability.

I'll find it and post a link up. It was on the old boards and should be considered required reading.

FOUND IT! I'm going to start a new thread in General so everyone can see it. It's a long read, but worth the time. :grin:
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.