Scorpion EXO500 or O'Neal tirade??

jnobles06
Achievement count: 0

Scorpion EXO500 or O'Neal tirade??

Post by jnobles06 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Just got my first sport bike; 02 CBR 600 F4i, and the guy gave me an AFX helmet which is a piece of junk. I don't want to spend a ton of $$ for a nice helmet. I was looking at the O'Neal Tirade bluetooth helmet because I thought it would be nice to have some tunes while I ride, but a guy at work was showing me his Scorpion EXO1000, and I really like the features it has so I was looking at the updated lighter version; the EXO500. Both are in the $250 price range, and that's where I want to keep it. I don't ride crazy or race. I just picked up the bike for commuting around town while getting 40mpg, but I will admit it's hard to keep that bike the speed limit. lol

So if you have had and experience with these brands let me know what you think. Thanks.

exo500
http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D9C0 ... B9DC453B28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tirade
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by jnobles06 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
95' F150 XL 300 I6
2000 Mustang GT 10psi
02 CBR 600 Full D&D, Undertail kit w/ LED signals, busted ebay fairings.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Scorpion EXO500 or O'Neal tirade??

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Congrats on the bike.

I don't know about either of those helmets, but you may want to check up on the bluetooth, ones I have looked at are proprietary so that if you ever want to change helmets in the future, or link up com's with someone that has a different kind of helmet you'll be SOL.

That's why I sprung for the Scala, I can stick it on any helmet, works with other scala's (on any helmet) and if I get a new helmet, I just move it.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:30 pm

I have the O'Neal bluetooth and i HATED it! Heavy, didn't fit right and the shield ended up coming off at 80mph! The blue tooth feature was cool when it worked, but after 60mph i couldn't hear anyone(they could hear me). Also while listening to music it would stop syncing to my phone and then i was without music. No way i would recommend this helmet. With that being said i believe mine was the older one. For $250 you can get a much better helmet and i totally agree with fixxer about the Scala, i've heard first hand how great those are
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:38 pm

The scorpions are nice. I like my exo 700, but it has a wierd whistle noise. Not sure about the 500 or 1000 though. Also check out http://www.motorcyclegear.com I got an e-mail from them today and they have the exo-1000s on sale for $160.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

jnobles06

Post by jnobles06 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:42 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:Congrats on the bike.

I don't know about either of those helmets, but you may want to check up on the bluetooth, ones I have looked at are proprietary so that if you ever want to change helmets in the future, or link up com's with someone that has a different kind of helmet you'll be SOL.

That's why I sprung for the Scala, I can stick it on any helmet, works with other scala's (on any helmet) and if I get a new helmet, I just move it.
cool i'll have to look into that. if i get the scorpion i was looking at the blinc m2, but that is because that is the only bluetooth system i have really read about so far while doing research.
milesmiles wrote:I have the O'Neal bluetooth and i HATED it! Heavy, didn't fit right and the shield ended up coming off at 80mph! The blue tooth feature was cool when it worked, but after 60mph i couldn't hear anyone(they could hear me). Also while listening to music it would stop syncing to my phone and then i was without music. No way i would recommend this helmet. With that being said i believe mine was the older one. For $250 you can get a much better helmet and i totally agree with fixxer about the Scala, i've heard first hand how great those are
damn. looked like a kick ass helmet, but i knew it was too good to be true. lol. like i said above i'll probably just get the scorpion and just add the audio stuff later. i heard the speakers suck in the o'neal, but i also read where a guy took some old skull candy headphones he had and swapped the speakers, but the faceshield flying off is a deal breaker.
95' F150 XL 300 I6
2000 Mustang GT 10psi

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm

yeah nickS has the Scala and speaks very highly of it, it's is one of the loudest ones out there. Also it's very motorcyle friendly, with gloves and all. We would love to see the bike, post some pics and bring it out to bike night next time
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

jnobles06

Post by jnobles06 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:47 pm

WillK675 wrote:The scorpions are nice. I like my exo 700, but it has a wierd whistle noise. Not sure about the 500 or 1000 though. Also check out http://www.motorcyclegear.com I got an e-mail from them today and they have the exo-1000s on sale for $160.

i know the exo1000's are on sale everywhere now becuase the exo500 is the same but lighter. i really thought about the 1000, but i don't plan on buying helmets very often so i'll probably go ahead and spend the extra $$ for the 500 or the 750. more likely the 500 though because i like the ardent graphic.
95' F150 XL 300 I6
2000 Mustang GT 10psi

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:53 pm

milesmiles wrote:yeah nickS has the Scala and speaks very highly of it, it's is one of the loudest ones out there. Also it's very motorcyle friendly, with gloves and all. We would love to see the bike, post some pics and bring it out to bike night next time
NickS has the Sena, not the Scala. Same as me. It's awesome and cheap.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:55 pm

doh i take all that back, sorry it's the Sena that i've heard such great things on
The world needs Miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:05 pm

milesmiles wrote:doh i take all that back, sorry it's the Sena that i've heard such great things on
It begins with an S so that is all that matters :D

Congrats on the bike purchase. Your first bike or just first sport bike? Welcome to the boards and you might want to go to the Intro section and post up a little about yourself so we can get to know ya :) Stick around long enough and you will find that we are a cool to hang with and if you hang long enough, you will really get to know us!!

jnobles06

Post by jnobles06 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

got the bike for $2750, 12k miles, been down and has slightly off color ebay fairings on it that are missing some screws and have broken eyelets. going to repair the eyelets, sand it all down, and paint it. i'll probably paint it flat black and possibly do the honda graphics in gloss black.

might come out when i get it looking decent.

Last edited by jnobles06 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95' F150 XL 300 I6
2000 Mustang GT 10psi

jnobles06

Post by jnobles06 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Telomere wrote:
milesmiles wrote:doh i take all that back, sorry it's the Sena that i've heard such great things on

Congrats on the bike purchase. Your first bike or just first sport bike? Welcome to the boards and you might want to go to the Intro section and post up a little about yourself so we can get to know ya :) Stick around long enough and you will find that we are a cool to hang with and if you hang long enough, you will really get to know us!!
i was on here about a year ago when i bought a 78 cb750ss but sold it soon after because i was changing engines on the mustang and didnt have time to mess with the bike.
95' F150 XL 300 I6
2000 Mustang GT 10psi

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm

jnobles06 wrote:
Telomere wrote:

i was on here about a year ago when i bought a 78 cb750ss but sold it soon after because i was changing engines on the mustang and didnt have time to mess with the bike.
My bad. I didn't look at post count. So....you need to be on here more then :D

jnobles06

Post by jnobles06 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Telomere wrote:
My bad. I didn't look at post count. So....you need to be on here more then :D

probably will be. i just can't get enough of riding this thing! i have only driven my truck once in the past two weeks and that was because it was raining.
95' F150 XL 300 I6
2000 Mustang GT 10psi

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:39 am

I think I remember when you was on here last. Anyway on the helmet you might want to check out the Bell Vortex. It is in that price range.... or a little less really and I think it is a better helmet than either of the other 2. Plus you can get a transition lense so you dont have to change it out for day or night riding. Should be able to pick one up for 130 or maybe a little less. Also there is the SPARX but I like the Bell better.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:39 pm

DemonDuck wrote:I think I remember when you was on here last. Anyway on the helmet you might want to check out the Bell Vortex. It is in that price range.... or a little less really and I think it is a better helmet than either of the other 2. Plus you can get a transition lense so you dont have to change it out for day or night riding. Should be able to pick one up for 130 or maybe a little less. Also there is the SPARX but I like the Bell better.
:icon_whs0be: I loved my vortex. Definitely a great "cheap" helmet :)