MSRC in May Role Call

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
El Diabro
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 18

Re: MSRC in May Role Call

Post by El Diabro » Tue May 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Dave wrote:Diabro and the attack Hayabusa

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1262639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After my Scottish instructor told me I need to start shifting my body and my knee out, I'll have to decide how to bridge the gap. The reasoning behind Slavek's explanation makes sense, however I think that also a reasoning to a Lvl 1 person who's still learning, and especially on a minotaur with two wheels! I managed to get better in the last couple of sessions with bridging that gap between the two schools of thought. All in all, I felt a world of difference between this track day, and my first one last year at Cresson. I no longer felt like that slow person who looks like I'm crapping my pants and the smallest of lean angles. I physically and visibly felt more relaxed, and riding the busa like a motorcycle on a track. I would come up on people and just ride behind them imagining passing them at anytime if I wanted to (safely I might add) but I would follow to see what line they were using compared to mine and figured I could learn something new, or I could see something that I'm doing right and they aren't. Scottish was impressed at my handling of the busa so I'll take it. I was impressed with my handling of the busa and I'll take that too! I can't wait to get better! Damn, I'm thirsty!!!!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 25, 2011 6:52 am

El Diabro wrote:After my Scottish instructor told me I need to start shifting my body and my knee out, I'll have to decide how to bridge the gap. The reasoning behind Slavek's explanation makes sense, however I think that also a reasoning to a Lvl 1 person who's still learning, and especially on a minotaur with two wheels! I managed to get better in the last couple of sessions with bridging that gap between the two schools of thought.
I think I missed something here, what's the second school of thought that you're trying to bridge the gap between?
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Wed May 25, 2011 7:14 am

:HeadScratch: :icon_whs0be:
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 am

DarcShadow wrote:
El Diabro wrote:After my Scottish instructor told me I need to start shifting my body and my knee out, I'll have to decide how to bridge the gap. The reasoning behind Slavek's explanation makes sense, however I think that also a reasoning to a Lvl 1 person who's still learning, and especially on a minotaur with two wheels! I managed to get better in the last couple of sessions with bridging that gap between the two schools of thought.
I think I missed something here, what's the second school of thought that you're trying to bridge the gap between?
...my bad, got confused as i was answering a pm at the same time...slavek had told me that i shouldnt worry so much about sliding my butt off as long as i get my upper body far enough pass the center of mass since guys our size have a lot more upper body mass it is just as effective in turns...that being said i can still stand to get my head and shoulders further past that line, and i have seen him leaning off the bike so i will still work on that too!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 25, 2011 9:12 am

getting your butt off is still a good thing, and some what necessary, but the focus for anyone, should be getting the upper body shifted. To many people shift their butt but keep the upper body over the center of the bike. In general, if you move the upper body overy correctly, your butt will follow.

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am

El Diabro wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:
...my bad, got confused as i was answering a pm at the same time...slavek had told me that i shouldnt worry so much about sliding my butt off as long as i get my upper body far enough pass the center of mass since guys our size have a lot more upper body mass it is just as effective in turns...that being said i can still stand to get my head and shoulders further past that line, and i have seen him leaning off the bike so i will still work on that too!
I'm in the exact same boat. Last month I was just moving my upper body, and my instructor said I really needed to work on getting off the seat. So I spent a month working on getting off the seat, and the instructor this time tells me I just need to move my upper body. Unfortunately I've already gotten more comfortable moving my butt.

Sunday I think I wore my legs out, my body position is straight upright and my instructor Sunday said my arms were way too straight. I agree, I was death-gripping the grips for some reason, I've never done that on the track before. I'm much happier with my body position from Saturday, even though I totally lack the flexibility to get my knee out. I'll be working on that and getting lower on the bike next. Both are flexibility issues for me at this point. Time for yoga class!

I'm kind of torn at this point, I didn't really want to do mid-summer track days because Texas summers suck, but I really don't want to wait until fall to work on body position either, and I'm not willing to ride that hard on the street. Tough call, I might need to sign up for Cresson in July. I'm going to be on vacation when the June one rolls around. I'm definitely the most comfortable working on skills on the Cresson 1.7, that track is just super confidence-inspiring for me. It's dead simple, nice and grippy (by lunchtime at least), and I know I can push the turns a *lot* harder than I have been. Especially turns like Big Bend, where the track just feels a mile wide.
Last edited by Rhino on Wed May 25, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 am

Dave wrote:I'm in the exact same boat. Last month I was just moving my upper body, and my instructor said I really needed to work on getting off the seat. So I spent a month working on getting off the seat, and the instructor this time tells me I just need to move my upper body. Unfortunately I've already gotten more comfortable moving my butt.

Sunday I think I wore my legs out, my body position is straight upright and my instructor Sunday said my arms were way too straight. I agree, I was death-gripping the grips for some reason, I've never done that on the track before. I'm much happier with my body position from Saturday, even though I totally lack the flexibility to get my knee out. I'll be working on that and getting lower on the bike next. Both are flexibility issues for me at this point. Time for yoga class!
Probably fatique
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 am

fixxervi6 wrote:
Dave wrote:I'm in the exact same boat. Last month I was just moving my upper body, and my instructor said I really needed to work on getting off the seat. So I spent a month working on getting off the seat, and the instructor this time tells me I just need to move my upper body. Unfortunately I've already gotten more comfortable moving my butt.

Probably fatique
Yep. But on the upside, even doing two track days my legs are almost back to normal today. I'm recovering a *lot* quicker than I did last month.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 am

And by the end of the season they won't even be sore.

I wouldn't worry too much about the summer trackdays and the heat. It's really not that bad, espeically if you're doing the classes. The only time you're really feeling hot is when you're off the track and out of the classroom.

NickS
Achievement count: 0

Post by NickS » Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 am

'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'10 Kawasaki Z1000

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 am

Excellent find NickS, I'm going to put that in a separate post and sticky it.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 am

DarcShadow wrote:And by the end of the season they won't even be sore.

I wouldn't worry too much about the summer trackdays and the heat. It's really not that bad, espeically if you're doing the classes. The only time you're really feeling hot is when you're off the track and out of the classroom.
It's a tough call. Saturday I thought I was going to die, Sunday wasn't so bad. I think Saturday was my first real all-day activity in the heat this year, and for some reason the first one is always hard for me, then my body starts getting used to it.

It also helped that I figured out how to get my whole upper body out of my leathers while sitting in class. I think I'm going to find something to use for a belt so I can be one of the cool kids walking around with my leathers half off.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 11:38 am

NickS, what's that from?

I didn't realize that raising your center of gravity in-line with the bike means you need less lean angle.

If that's the case, then maybe I just need to work on getting my center of gravity moved over just a bit more. I'd like to see the center line of my bike pointed about at my shoulder.

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1259859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: More like this:

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1262626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not so great for getting a knee down, but according to that pic I'm doing a lot right to keep the bike's lean angle to a minimum.

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Wed May 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Dave wrote:NickS, what's that from?

I didn't realize that raising your center of gravity in-line with the bike means you need less lean angle.

If that's the case, then maybe I just need to work on getting my center of gravity moved over just a bit more. I'd like to see the center line of my bike pointed about at my shoulder.

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1259859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: More like this:

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1262626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not so great for getting a knee down, but according to that pic I'm doing a lot right to keep the bike's lean angle to a minimum.

You are looking a lot more confident on that ZX, than you did at ECR.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Yeah, it was a combination of things:

1. Higher clip-ons so I'm not looking over my glasses on every turn
2. New rear-sets to give me more leg room
3. More than 50 miles of experience on the bike

It really was that new to me when I went to ECR. Also, I had just started riding again after my crash a couple weeks before. Whereas for Cresson I had a track day and a couple club rides under my belt on the Ninja, plus random riding around, and I'm not healing, I'm healed.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Wed May 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Dave wrote: I'm healed.
praise the good Lord!!!!!!!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 2:12 pm

milesmiles wrote:
The good lord should have struck down whoever decided that every square inch of road in downtown Ft. Worth needed to be covered in sand on Superbowl Sunday. :evil:

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Dave wrote:
milesmiles wrote:
The good lord should have struck down whoever decided that every square inch of road in downtown Ft. Worth needed to be covered in sand on Superbowl Sunday. :evil:
He was trying to strike them down by putting ice on the roads. But they went out and put down sand to spite him. :-)
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Here is why I wasn't getting my right down, look at my inside hand

When I went off the right side I have a regular -and tight - grip on the throttle, that locks up my inside arm, which locks up the elbow, which in turn locks up everything else. I had planned on trying that exact same grip with my right hand on the next sessions but we got rained out.
knee.JPG
knee.JPG (63.02 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Heres a new video of the t-bone incident. I got the native video file and took this closeup.

The still-frame at 0:17 is pretty amusing!
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:13 am

woW !