March ECR Roll Call

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Re: March ECR Roll Call

Post by Rhino » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 am

Miles, I don't know why you feel nervous going out there. Get your body position down and you'll be way faster than Fixxer. You were up his ass all day through 9 and 10, you actually corner a little faster than him but he takes back off in the straights with the power advantage he has. Seriously, get your technique down and you'll be *fast*.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:19 am

After this track day i do feel more confident and i think on the next track day i'll be more mentally prepared(i think that has a lot to do with how you ride). Like the instructor said, if i would get my head down my upper body would follow and things would be all good. Fixxer mention that he uses 1st gear in a lot of turns, i rarely did that because it was afraid i would spool up the rear with all the power. When i did i stuck with him on the straights, but for the majority of the day i decided just to use 2nd gear and not get myself in trouble with first. Next time i will put a lot of focus on using 1st gear more. Thanks for the advice
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:24 am

I'm not sure a 675 will spin up the rear on corner exit. I know my 600 wouldn't with my fat butt on it, so I never worried about dropping the hammer on corner exits.

Your real advantage though is that you have good corner entry speeds. Even if you don't power out hard, you're carrying a lot of speed through the corners, which is a good thing. Getting your body position right will let you carry even more speed, and let you get on the throttle harder on exit because the bike will be more upright. You'll also stop dragging your toes.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:27 am

Hahah i've never dragged my toes until i stepped out on that track, both sides! I did and i was like WTF, after awhile i started picking them up more and that took care of things, but before i've never had a problem with that.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 am

I think he is already *fast* - regardless of technique.

He's the one guy on this board I feel comfortable with going out on a back road and going wfo with.

Don't let that 675 fool you, it's not under powered compared to the 750, I was shocked at how close they were when we did a quick bike swap. It pulls in the middle like a fucking mule.

The 750 has never spun up the rear on exit with hot pavement and hot tires but it has lifted the front up on exit.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 am

It's not only spinning up the rear i'm worried about, but with all that power it just takes a hair of movement to make things go bad. I'm pretty good at feathering things and being smooth with the wrist, but i had other things i want to work on.
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:45 am

milesmiles wrote:It's not only spinning up the rear i'm worried about, but with all that power it just takes a hair of movement to make things go bad. I'm pretty good at feathering things and being smooth with the wrist, but i had other things i want to work on.
I'm scared of 1st gear too, its too damn touchy. I don't use it at cresson because I can keep my speeds up high enough to stay in my powerband of 2nd gear there.

at ECR is full throttle flat out in 5th gear madness then a 90 degree turn so I try to use 1st as much as I can, helps me get the drive out on those liter bikes.

WHICH I must say, I PASSED a few liter bikes this time, WHO WHOOO.

I also have video of me leaving my instructor behind, he later told me he didn't feel comfortable with my pace in the double apexs without slicks and tire warmers. :)
K1600

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 am

Sounds like you guys are getting fast! Sucks I can't get out there with you all to play. Just be cautious of exceeding the limits of your equipment. Problem with tires is you won't know when you exceed the lean angle on a rear tire... One moment you'll be leaned over and the next you'll be sliding on your ass wondering what happened. The instructor has a point about the equipment. Street tires have a lean-angle limit on them that is much lower than race tires... race tires (DOT and slicks) have a higher lean-angle limit. You won't believe how much your game will improve with a good set of sticky race tires. You only need DOT if you're racing superstock, so try out some real slicks. Tire warmers are only necessary for tires that aren't designed to heat up / cool down quickly (most race compounds).

I promise you won't regret trying them out, and it'll definitely take away the equipment worry aspect.

Example of a situation where two guys (Jeff in the lead) was talking smack with Ricky (guy hauling to catch up to him), and with friendly banter went out to try and prove something. In his effort to catch up, he exceeded the limits of his tires trying to carry too much speed through a corner, and washed it out. Don't let this happen to you!

"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:14 am

I still have about 1/16" of a chicken strip, and i figure if i get my upper body off more that will help too. if i could find a set of slick that don't require tire warmers i would buy them. but to be honest i don't think i am fast enough to need them, its not my tires holding me back right now, its me.
K1600

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:19 am

See if you can find a set of Michelin Power One 2CT. I loved those tires on the track. I felt much more confident with those on and didnt worry about spinning up the read tire as much on my 1k bike.

Power One 2CT
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 am

photos are up,

http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a few of my better ones....
http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1574833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The world needs Miles

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:23 am

milesmiles wrote:a few of my better ones....
http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1574833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dude where are the pink sunglasses? That picture is just lame without them. :-)
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:26 am

lol i had a pair in my bag, but i went with the black ones so i wouldn't have to hear so much bitching all day :)
The world needs Miles

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:33 am

You should have worn them.

There was you and one other guy in L2 on grey Daytona 675s. The other guy was wearing a silver helmet. I wasn't sure who was who until I saw the glasses. The pink would have been even more of a giveaway.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Dude miles holy crap! I remember not too long ago when you had just really started riding. I'm impressed.

I've only got two observations for you. 1 observation you said you already addressed (your toes being into the pavement). Second, one is try and practice getting your torso lower... i.e. move your head further down, like, try to get it down to where it would be directly behind your mirror if your mirror were still on the bike. That will help get your CG lower still.

That being said, holy crap you're looking good out there. Shoulders squared, you're not twisting your body, and no deathgrip on the throttle from what it looks like. Seriously dude, looking good!!! My baby boy is all growed up!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Firewa11 wrote:My baby boy is all growed up!
:SideSplittingLaughter: :-)
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Firewa11 wrote:Dude miles holy crap! I remember not too long ago when you had just really started riding. I'm impressed.

I've only got two observations for you. 1 observation you said you already addressed (your toes being into the pavement). Second, one is try and practice getting your torso lower... i.e. move your head further down, like, try to get it down to where it would be directly behind your mirror if your mirror were still on the bike. That will help get your CG lower still.

That being said, holy crap you're looking good out there. Shoulders squared, you're not twisting your body, and no deathgrip on the throttle from what it looks like. Seriously dude, looking good!!! My baby boy is all growed up!
:rockout: Thanks man, a huge compliment coming from you! The instrutor said the only thing i really needed to work on is bring my head down. He even had tape over his speedo that said "head down" to remind him because he has the same problem. It's just sooooo hard to do! Thanks again!!! :-D
The world needs Miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:13 pm

When Shaun and I were talking yesterday after everything was said and done, he mentioned something that his instructor had him do back in the day when he was racing. I think I am going to try that this time around. Everyone says my body position is good (so I don't think I need to work on that) and everyone says I hit the lines every time (you know where I am going everytime...I'm predictable), so I want to work on something different this time. :D I hope Shaun is teaching level 1 that day, so I can tell him what I want to do and have him work on that with me.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Telomere wrote:When Shaun and I were talking yesterday after everything was said and done, he mentioned something that his instructor had him do back in the day when he was racing. I think I am going to try that this time around. Everyone says my body position is good (so I don't think I need to work on that) and everyone says I hit the lines every time (you know where I am going everytime...I'm predictable), so I want to work on something different this time. :D I hope Shaun is teaching level 1 that day, so I can tell him what I want to do and have him work on that with me.
More throttle
K1600

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Yeah, well we talked about that yesterday and the problem behind it. I want to get over that problem.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Telomere, have you read A Twist of the Wrist?

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Rhino wrote:Telomere, have you read A Twist of the Wrist?
Watched it :D does that count???

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:43 pm

The TOFW books have way more info than the video. You may want to give them a shot.

Edit: Just don't be as cheesy as those guys in the video. :)
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Telomere wrote:
Rhino wrote:Telomere, have you read A Twist of the Wrist?
Watched it :D does that count???
Yeah, not really.

I've got a copy you can borrow. The entire book is all about how you mentally approach the track.

Also, care to share the big secret technique that Shaun told you about? Some of us may have heard of it also, or will want to research it for ourselves.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 pm

Not a secret technique. It is about not touching the brake at all. I am thinking about trying that to help me over come the mental "more throttle" issue going into corners. Just thinking about not using the brake skeers me so I will just request Shaun as instructor and have him work with me :D