ATC2K Sport Video Camera

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:39 am

digi wrote:This is what I get for riding something designed like the stealth fighter... no flat surfaces whatsoever to mount anything to.
Ummmm, the Stealth Fighter is nothing but flat surfaces :-(
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

digi
Achievement count: 0

Post by digi » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:52 pm

Well, angled... the fighter is sorts of small flat surfaces .... jagged...

I have flat surfaces, but they are all curved or angled... it's not just FLAT..

Bah... you know what I meant, you do planes for a living!
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Aviconus
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by Aviconus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:41 pm

Now see keids, this is why we dont tap the brakes at anytime during a turn. . . tsk tsk tsk.

~ in reference to the crash on vid #2. ~
IM ALWAYS LOOKING TO RIDE PM ME

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Aviconus/Family%20Pics/Angel.jpg[/img]

R.I.P. "Angel" some dick couldnt afford you legit so they stole you.

digi

Post by digi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:15 pm

Round #2 with this infernal device...

I finally said screw it, and used velcro under the nose of the bike. Velcro has never failed me in my other highspeed endeavors, so I thought, what the hell, just do it.

So I did. The velcro held to 130 at least, although traffic was too heavy to push it any faster. I was happy to have had a full 26 minutes of video, with no camera shut off. Unfortunately, the shaking makes me want to throw up when I view the video.

I tried again, velcroing to the gas cap. The angle was okay, you could actually see out the windscreen, with a decent view of the tach. Again, the video is shaky. Not as bad, but not viewable either.

I'm pretty much at wits end with this thing, because I want a good mountpoint, but I don't want my bike looking like a tard. I have seen the tank mounts from cycle gadgets or whereever, but they are just too dorky. The under nose angle was awesome, as you could see the road, and everything in front of the bike... which would perfectly convey what I tend to deal with in Dallas traffic.

So... I suppose I might be able to fab a hardpoint under the nose, but it has to be off to the side, else the front fender would smack the camera. I might be able to go with the velcro again if I ditch the supplied mount and use something a bit more solid, but I don't really know what to use yet.

No video from me until I can figure this thing out....
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:59 am

I read an article on Wired yesterday regarding Aerogel. That is EXACTLY what we need for insulation. Too bad it's so stupid expensive.

Regarding the camera, it's not the camera's fault, it's your crappy Yamahammer! Just because you can't find a good place to mount it that doesn't rattle it all to hell :-)
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:32 am

:shock:

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:53 am

Psot up a video so we can see how shakey it is.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:06 am

how about mounting it in the ram air in take? Yeah, I know it'll hurt the air intack volume, but you don't use the full power anyway. :grin:

digi

Post by digi » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:56 am

hahah

I actually did look at the intake, but it won't fit with the rear cap (the part that covers the SD slot)....

I might post the video... this weekend maybe.

dz

Post by dz » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:04 am

That looks really neat. I'll have to see if I can pick one up. Where'd you get yours from locally Firewa11?

Also, http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/200 ... ash_1.html

For those that want to record longer :)

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:55 am

oooohhhhh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy! I cant wait to get home to watch the footage. I hope this is what ive been looking for.

Don, sounds like you didnt have much trouble mounting to your gixxer. How many good mounting points have you found?

:shock:
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:37 am

Ive just emailed the supplier to see if they will ship to Australia. If they don't Don I might have to ask a favor.....
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:16 am

I'd be happy to pick one up for you and send it your way :grin:

As far as mounting points, I've found at least two, but both are pretty warm on the camera. I'm looking at some others, but I'd rather have it mounted on the frame itself to reduce shaking and vibration... Just have to find a clever way to deal with the heat, while looking good :grin:
ImageImageImage

Edmond_Dantes

Post by Edmond_Dantes » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Maybe if you got a piece a flat aluminum and made a heat shield. Just about the same size as the camera. Maybe the heat would hit it and then dissipate saving the cam?
Just a thought.
1990 ZG1000 Concours
"...They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:52 pm

you don't want aluminum as a heat shield, it'll just transfer the heat right from the frame to the camera. You need something that doesn't transfer heat, like a 2x4. lol I don't really think there's anything you could do to stop the heat transfer though, slow it down maybe but stop, no. You have to look into slowing it down and providing cooling so that it stays low enough to work.

Wrapping it will help but it'll just slow the heating, not stop it. Now if you build an aluminum heat sink with lots of fins that the camer fits in, that might provide enough cooling for mounting the camera to the frame.

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:55 am

When I first read firewall's comment RE heat sink, I envisaged something more like a heat sink on electronics - eg aluminium fins between the frame and the camera (so air rushes through and dissipates the heat).

Hey firewall, have you tried the helmet attach position yet?

I just founf it advertised for AUD$200 at a local retailer. Will do some more research then let you know. Thanks for the offer.
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:24 am

I haven't tried the helmet mount yet, I might do that today. I also was thinking of something more along the lines of a PC heat, like a gigantic Pentium 4 heat sink or something like that. Heck I could even wire up the fan if I wanted to. But after changing my radiator coolant yesterday, I found that my radiator fan blows out right where I had it mounted, so I don't think a heat sink will help much, the hot air is still going to cook it.

I'm now thinking attaching it to the underside of the frame slider. As long as I tuck it in close enough to the fairing, there shouldn't be an issue if I crash, or at least the camera should break off pretty quickly and not contribute to the sliders not doing their job...
ImageImageImage

digi

Post by digi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:06 pm

So, we went to the hardware store.

I bought stuff. I built a mount. Connects on the front shock, sticks out in front of the bike (thing midair refueling nozzle). The angle is great, the video is pretty steady.

Too bad the camera shuts off every few minutes. I don't think the problem is heat, because its no longer attached directly to the bike. It's in front, and there should be plenty of wind.

I think it has something to do with the vibration. It might be the secure digital card losing contact for a second. If you are recording, the camera will shut off if the card is pulled out.

This thing is frustrating.

Edmond_Dantes

Post by Edmond_Dantes » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Have we considered mounting it up on the bars looking through the windshield? Do you have any unused threaded holes in the master cylinders maybe? Look into RAM mounts. I would need to have the cam and bike on hand to get a better picture on mounting options. Nothing can't be done with a good hardware store and some imagination.
1990 ZG1000 Concours
"...They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"

digi

Post by digi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:36 am

I think I have the mounting issue solved... it's just the camera.

I am going to try to reinforce the SD card, and see if that helps.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:44 am

If you think it's vibration, why don't you solve that problem? Your bike must seriously vibrate really bad if that's the case.
ImageImageImage

digi

Post by digi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:50 am

You bet it vibrates. It's only a problem for the camera.

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:19 am

I was reading elsewhere about cameras - bikes - bad vibrations. One guy solved this by putting a lot of foam padding in the tank bag and using small bungee's, tying the camera to the bag. NO vibration problems anymore.
You need some sort of an insulator to absorb the vibrations - a chunk of foam with zip tie thru the middle of it, tied firmly to the bike. another chunk attached the same on the camera mount, then those two foams zip tied together?
I think too much sometimes.
-
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:45 am

My bike is fine with the vibrations. It's just a well-tuned, well-built machine, that doesn't vibrate like crazy. At least not enough to shut off my camera :-)
ImageImageImage

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

Post by armedandinsain » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:44 am

My bike is fine with the vibrations. It's just a well-tuned, well-built machine, that doesn't vibrate like crazy.
thats cuz it's a SUZUKI :grin: