Bike Night - 10-25-12

Club bike nights and events other than rides here are here. Events usually posted on the calendar as well.
Teresa

Re: Bike Night - 10-25-12

Post by Teresa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Matt750 wrote:You'll just have to start coming out to events if you want to see mankini's
I'm interested in Pour House nights. That's practically stumbling distance.
I'm a Stardog, baby.
Redefining "respectable" since 1977.

MattStrada
Achievement count: 0

Post by MattStrada » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:03 am

Same here.
Current Rides.
2015 Multistrada 1200s
Past Rides
2013 Yamaha R1.
12 Gsxr 750

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:12 am

Pour House bike nights were always a blast!
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Striple wrote:Pour House bike nights were always a blast!
When you could the person you were talking to, talk. :D Or when there was enough tables for us :D
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Bewst
Achievement count: 9

Post by Bewst » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:33 pm

I'd make more Pour House nights!!

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:04 am

I liked the Pour house but they did not have as good of a setup for us as Fox and Hound. Sitting outside was better than inside though and that made it to where you could usually have a conversation. Parking really sucked at the Pour House as well.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:13 am

The Pour House actually has a much better atmosphere for bike nights, with us being able to hang out right by the bikes on the patio. There were usually good tunes being played, the food was better (which isn't saying much -- the F&H food is terrible), and people used to frequently stay much later when we were there. F&H has the usual boring strip mall atmosphere that is more like something that I'd expect for a bowling club than a bike club. The food is atrocious, and the service is inconsistent (it is decent when Nikki is around, otherwise it's a bit of a toss-up).

But the worst part about changing back to F&H was the way in which it was done. There were a number of us who were quite vocal about staying at the PH or at the very least alternating, but this was largely ignored by the staff. Not a good move, in my opinion.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:45 am

Striple wrote:But the worst part about changing back to F&H was the way in which it was done. There were a number of us who were quite vocal about staying at the PH or at the very least alternating, but this was largely ignored by the staff. Not a good move, in my opinion.
As a staff member who likes the PH better, I can 100% assure you this was not the case.

Just because staff discussions aren't public doesn't mean they don't happen. Or that they aren't vociferous. :D

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 am

Like I said the Pour house was good in some ways and bad in others. For example if you decide to cage it to bikenight you would have to park across the street and cross traffic. Not a huge deal but still not something I was happy about. When sitting outside I liked it a whole lot better than when sitting inside. I did like the food better. I do wish it would have had some kind of pool tables or something because it is nice to get my arse handed to me in pool from time to time. In any case I am having a hard time making it to much of anything right now.... working ALOT! I would hang with you guys anywhere just because you are there so its all good for me.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 am

Striple wrote:The Pour House actually has a much better atmosphere for bike nights, with us being able to hang out right by the bikes on the patio. There were usually good tunes being played, the food was better (which isn't saying much -- the F&H food is terrible), and people used to frequently stay much later when we were there. F&H has the usual boring strip mall atmosphere that is more like something that I'd expect for a bowling club than a bike club. The food is atrocious, and the service is inconsistent (it is decent when Nikki is around, otherwise it's a bit of a toss-up).

But the worst part about changing back to F&H was the way in which it was done. There were a number of us who were quite vocal about staying at the PH or at the very least alternating, but this was largely ignored by the staff. Not a good move, in my opinion.
What makes you feel that it was largely ignored by the staff? I've seen several discussions starting in one area and spilling into others, everything from a staff post saying "Lets discuss this thing the member posted" to "lets start a member thread and see what members say". When the topics traverse, there is no announcement that is happening, but I am curious what makes you feel it was ignored (or largely ignored). For the record I like the PH better for their food and I do like the porch, however there were lots of problems with the PH as some have pointed out, and I'm in the camp that favors moving away from the PH.

Also, the PH screwed us a lot, I guess everyone tends to forget that?
K1600

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:11 am

It's true that parking around there is terrible!
DemonDuck wrote:I would hang with you guys anywhere just because you are there so its all good for me.
^ That was a sweet thing to say, and I agree 100% :)
I'm a Stardog, baby.
Redefining "respectable" since 1977.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:40 am

DemonDuck wrote:Like I said the Pour house was good in some ways and bad in others. For example if you decide to cage it to bikenight you would have to park across the street and cross traffic. Not a huge deal but still not something I was happy about. When sitting outside I liked it a whole lot better than when sitting inside. I did like the food better. I do wish it would have had some kind of pool tables or something because it is nice to get my arse handed to me in pool from time to time. In any case I am having a hard time making it to much of anything right now.... working ALOT! I would hang with you guys anywhere just because you are there so its all good for me.
There's a sign up now at PH saying if you park across the street at Mongomery you'll get towed.

Apparently they're still having a full-on fight about the parking situation, because PH was allowed to have way higher occupancy than their parking lot supports. Basically nobody else (property owners) wanted PH to be allowed there, but the city gave them the permits and now it's a giant mess.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:43 am

I had no idea about that part. That makes it even harder. If my car got towed .... I would be soooooo upset.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:17 am

I go to bike nights (when I am able) to hang out with you guys NOT for the food. So, who cares where bike night is at? We go to see each other, right? Or, are we going for other reasons? :HeadScratch:

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:27 am

I go for the womenz
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 am

milesmiles wrote:I go for the womenz
But then why do you go home alone every evening? :))

sorry man, I had to!
K1600

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 am

You ride all the way down to south west Fort Worth for the womenz and not take any back home with you??? I think you are doing something wrong. :D

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:17 am

fixxervi6 wrote:What makes you feel that it was largely ignored by the staff?
The issue of the bike night location has repeatedly come up in threads and conversations, but ultimately it was disappointing that the decision was made without any compromise to alternating, or even an occasional bike night being held at the PH (or some other place with a better atmosphere than F&H). Perhaps this was in part an issue of poor communication, because several of us who were strong and vocal proponents of the PH were left without much insight other than the fact that F&H was preferred by staff members. It was simply one of those issues were some of us felt that our input was ignored. If this was not the case, then perhaps it was poorly communicated or maybe even misperceived by several of us. One of the staff members told me that he was going to push for alternating locations, but I never did hear anything else about it.
Telomere wrote:I go to bike nights (when I am able) to hang out with you guys NOT for the food. So, who cares where bike night is at? We go to see each other, right? Or, are we going for other reasons? :HeadScratch:
Just like any event, bike night is a package deal. While hanging out with everyone is certainly the most important factor, there are a number of other aspects to consider (otherwise we wouldn't have tried a couple of different places). I love you guys, but the day you're having bike night at Chucky Cheese I'll be drinking my brewskies elsewhere. Just sayin'. :D

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 am

Striple, I hear what you're saying brother, and we probably did a poor job of communicating back out about the decision after it was made. I can tell you that there was a LOT of discussion and argument on both sides, with the staff pretty evenly split. By the time it was all said and done, I think that particular horse had been reduced to a red pulp and nobody was particularly interested in talking about it anymore.

For the sake of not repeating the mistakes of the past, the staff has started another discussion on the topic. Most of us aren't particularly enamored with F&H, but we're also short on good alternatives.

I suspect the Pour House is pretty well off the list as a permanent home for a variety of good reasons:

- It's incredibly loud, particularly the music, so it's hard to have conversations.
- They have been unwilling to work with us on setting aside a space, so if there's a big game or something on we're kind of screwed.
- Parking is atrocious, and has actually gotten worse since we were there before thanks to fights with surrounding businesses.

Now all that said, I'm a fan of the PH when the weather is good. I love the patio, and I'd argue strongly for having bike nights there when the weather is good. However, the weather is turning not-so-good with winter coming, so for the next several months we need an indoor venue.

If anybody has suggestions, we're always happy to listen. You guys certainly have a voice. I don't want to speak for other staff members, but I will always listen to anything any member has to say and I'll bring it to the rest of the staff to discuss. I can also say that in general the staff cares a LOT about what the club thinks. Almost neurotically so. All opinions from the club get discussed, usually at length, because we try very hard to keep everybody happy.

So, if anybody wants to talk about bike night venues, and especially if you have suggestions of places to check out, we're definitely listening. And when the weather turns good again, I'll be in the staff forum campaigning for some bike nights on the PH (or some better place's) patio. :D

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:37 am

Telomere wrote:
You ride all the way down to south west Fort Worth for the womenz and not take any back home with you??? I think you are doing something wrong. :D
I'm open to suggestions :SideSplittingLaughter:
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:39 am

Try closer to home...long distance relationships do not work (for the most part). :D

Bewst
Achievement count: 9

Post by Bewst » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 am

Too much politics, lol.

You guys are a small riding group that makes it seem like decision making is handled by a corporate HR department that takes 50 sign offs and it to be notarized. Posts like this make me sit back and laugh, lol.

Is it really that hard to say "Hey, bike night is at this place this week" or "We might be trying several places for bike night, keep an eye out on the location and give us suggestions"
Last edited by Bewst on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:42 am

Bewst wrote:Too much politics, lol.
Your contributing to those politics, so welcome to that fold :whip:
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:43 am

Too much particulars too, I need a damn thesaurus.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:44 am

Rhino wrote:
Too much particulars too, I need a damn thesaurus.
:SideSplittingLaughter:
K1600