Cresson 1.7 August 17 & 18

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Re: Cresson 1.7 August 17 & 18

Post by Firewa11 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I only got faster and better on the track with each major progression.... I think there is a lot of truth to it... (L1 - L2- L3 - Racing)
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:02 am

Telomere wrote:I appreciate the input and your insight but L2 still scares the hell out of me :D I give y'all badasses kudos for that shit.
I like L2 SOOOO much more than L1. I see much fewer people on the track. In L1, you're always either stuck behind somebody looking to pass them, or getting your doors blown off. In L2, the pace is much closer. I don't get passed as much and I don't pass as many people, since we're all running a much more similar pace.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:48 am

Telomere wrote:
Firewa11 wrote:I'll be with in you in L2 Fixxer! Thanks Telomere :-) Can't wait to get back on the track again!!! Going to get new shoes on the girl this week, going with the Q3's as well. I really like the D211's and they are supposed to be a lot of the same compound.
You welcome!!! Someone told me that I have a mental block that I need to get past (I think he was hinting at me riding L2 but he won't admit it).
Two questions, are you having fun in level 1 and would you say your level of anxiety towards level 2 is greater than your level of anxiety towards your first ever trackday or about the same?
If you're not having fun in level 1 and getting stuck behind people it's time to try level 2, you can always drop back down if it doesn't feel right?
If youre anxiety it's about the same as your first td, you should be able to make the move to level 2.

While level 2 does have a rather wide range of riders it doesn't feel as hetic as level 1 does on most days. For the most part level 2 usually feels more controled/safer, and just because you're in a higher level doesn't mean you have to run at a pace faster than you're comfortable with. To me and I think most of us, it's about having fun and if I'm not having fun, what's the point?
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:13 am

At some point I'm going to have to get new leathers. Just for grins I put on my AGVSport leathers, I think I can fit two of me in them. The Alpinestars suit I have the waist is about 3 sizes too big, and the ass is about 4 sizes too big, but I think the jacket is about right (loose enough that I can get my back protector in and it doesn't feel painted on, feels like a jacket should). But all together all of the armor and pad stays where it should so they will work. Too bad CycleGear doesn't do a trade-in program for gear.
ImageImageImage

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 am

Firewa11 wrote:At some point I'm going to have to get new leathers. Just for grins I put on my AGVSport leathers, I think I can fit two of me in them. The Alpinestars suit I have the waist is about 3 sizes too big, and the ass is about 4 sizes too big, but I think the jacket is about right (loose enough that I can get my back protector in and it doesn't feel painted on, feels like a jacket should). But all together all of the armor and pad stays where it should so they will work. Too bad CycleGear doesn't do a trade-in program for gear.
What size are the AGV leathers?
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 am

Firewa11 wrote: Too bad CycleGear doesn't do a trade-in program for gear.
No but http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ basically does, with their customer closet.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:33 am

DarcShadow wrote:
Telomere wrote:
Firewa11 wrote:I'll be with in you in L2 Fixxer! Thanks Telomere :-) Can't wait to get back on the track again!!! Going to get new shoes on the girl this week, going with the Q3's as well. I really like the D211's and they are supposed to be a lot of the same compound.
You welcome!!! Someone told me that I have a mental block that I need to get past (I think he was hinting at me riding L2 but he won't admit it).
Two questions, are you having fun in level 1 and would you say your level of anxiety towards level 2 is greater than your level of anxiety towards your first ever trackday or about the same?
If you're not having fun in level 1 and getting stuck behind people it's time to try level 2, you can always drop back down if it doesn't feel right?
If youre anxiety it's about the same as your first td, you should be able to make the move to level 2.

While level 2 does have a rather wide range of riders it doesn't feel as hetic as level 1 does on most days. For the most part level 2 usually feels more controled/safer, and just because you're in a higher level doesn't mean you have to run at a pace faster than you're comfortable with. To me and I think most of us, it's about having fun and if I'm not having fun, what's the point?
Riding track is no longer fun. It hasn't been fun for the last few of my track days. I did have fun following Rick on the 250 with Jon in tow (that was my last track day). I would say that my level of anxiety is not like what I experienced on my first track day. It is more like having people stuff the shit out of me causing me to slam on the brakes while going into a corner. Getting passed doesn't bother me. I need to learn how to do that. What bothers me is the getting stuffed by people who like to hammer down the straights just to stuff you at the last second and go slower then a turtle stuck in molasses through the corner. The level of anxiety I feel about going to L2 is exponentially higher then the level of anxiety I feel at every trackday (because of the aggressive arseholes that stuff at the last minute and don't know how to ride a donkey)!
Rhino wrote:
Telomere wrote:I appreciate the input and your insight but L2 still scares the hell out of me :D I give y'all badasses kudos for that shit.
I like L2 SOOOO much more than L1. I see much fewer people on the track. In L1, you're always either stuck behind somebody looking to pass them, or getting your doors blown off. In L2, the pace is much closer. I don't get passed as much and I don't pass as many people, since we're all running a much more similar pace.
I don't mind getting stuck behind someone that I caught up to as opposed to being stuck behind someone that stuffed me in a corner. L1 has a lot of maniacs in it and I imagine as you progress, the maniacs just multiply. L2 seems to have the most wrecks or run offs then L1 or L3. That is another reason I am apprehensive about L2.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am

Telomere wrote: The level of anxiety I feel about going to L2 is exponentially higher then the level of anxiety I feel at every trackday (because of the aggressive arseholes that stuff at the last minute and don't know how to ride a donkey)!
Had to do it didn't ya? :SideSplittingLaughter:
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:59 am

DemonDuck wrote:
Telomere wrote: The level of anxiety I feel about going to L2 is exponentially higher then the level of anxiety I feel at every trackday (because of the aggressive arseholes that stuff at the last minute and don't know how to ride a donkey)!
Had to do it didn't ya? :SideSplittingLaughter:
You know me :D so you should not have to ask. :)

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Telomere wrote: Riding track is no longer fun. It hasn't been fun for the last few of my track days. I did have fun following Rick on the 250 with Jon in tow (that was my last track day). I would say that my level of anxiety is not like what I experienced on my first track day. It is more like having people stuff the shit out of me causing me to slam on the brakes while going into a corner. Getting passed doesn't bother me. I need to learn how to do that. What bothers me is the getting stuffed by people who like to hammer down the straights just to stuff you at the last second and go slower then a turtle stuck in molasses through the corner. The level of anxiety I feel about going to L2 is exponentially higher then the level of anxiety I feel at every trackday (because of the aggressive arseholes that stuff at the last minute and don't know how to ride a donkey)!
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. It can definitely be frustrating when the behavior of other riders is impeding your learning process. Once you're ready to give it another go, you may want to try riding with LSTD or 3Ts, as their levels are not nearly as packed as RS, which gives you a lot more breathing room. The one event that I will especially recommend is one of the Eurosport-hosted track days at MSR. Not only are the groups tiny (10-20 bikes per level), but the sessions are long (30 mins), and there are only two groups (riding school and the open track group). The riding school is excellent for L1 riders, whereas the open track group is an absolute hoot for L2/L3 riders. They usually do this twice a year, once in May and once around October/November. This is always my favorite track event, and I'd be willing to bet that you would have a blast again.

Also, if you ever want some pointers as to how to approach passing bikes that are parked in the turns, I'd be more than happy to run a few laps with you at the appropriate pace.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:56 pm

I will be hitting the Eurosport track day again when it comes back around ... even if I gotta sell a kid to do it. I loved that track day.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:14 pm

DemonDuck wrote: ... even if I gotta sell a kid to do it.
With Eurosport usually hosting two track days per year, that should cover you for the next 2-3 years. Win - win. :D
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:09 pm

How hard is it to move up to L3 since I'm signed up for L2? I am thinking by the afternoon I'll be warmed up and ready to haul ass...
ImageImageImage

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor

Post by shilka99 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Firewa11 wrote:How hard is it to move up to L3 since I'm signed up for L2? I am thinking by the afternoon I'll be warmed up and ready to haul ass...
Come find me when you're ready and we'll do a little check ride in L2 then again in L3. It would help if you have a Sena fitted.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:39 pm

K I'll charge it and bring it along
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:08 am

Telomere wrote:L1 has a lot of maniacs in it and I imagine as you progress, the maniacs just multiply. L2 seems to have the most wrecks or run offs then L1 or L3. That is another reason I am apprehensive about L2.
I wouldn't say that, if anything the maniacs decress in the higher levels. It's also natural for L2 to have the most run offs as they ar eth epeople that are good enough to go fast, but not quite good enough to know when they've gone past the limit. The run offs and wrecks rarely involve a second rider, it's usually just the one guy. I would also say L2 doesn't stuff people in the turns as baddly as level 1. Yes it does happen occastionally, but not as often as in L1. L1 you have to many people on big bikes that want to go fast in the straights but don't know how to go fast in the turns. As you move up to level 2 and 3 people's corner speeds get better so getting stuffed and stuck behind big bikes becomes less of an issue.

If you're not having fun in L1 you really should try L2, or as striple suggested, give a different TD provider a try.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 am

I agree with DS, L2 feels much more safer than L1. I never got stuffed or cut off as much in L2-L3 as I did in L1. Racers are aggressive, but they have the experience to be able to pull off passes. And if they stuff you they sure as hell don't cut the gas in the corner.
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 am

If nothing else you could start in lvl 2 and if you're not feeling it drop down to lvl 1 after the first few sessions. I think you'll be surprised at how comfortable you will feel in lvl 2 though. Kind of like when I went to lvl 3. Sure, I got my doors blown off a few times but I never felt uncomfortable.

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:27 pm

DarcShadow wrote:If nothing else you could start in lvl 2 and if you're not feeling it drop down to lvl 1 after the first few sessions. I think you'll be surprised at how comfortable you will feel in lvl 2 though. Kind of like when I went to lvl 3. Sure, I got my doors blown off a few times but I never felt uncomfortable.
What he said.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Yeah, Telo most certainly wouldn't be the slowest person in L2. She is a click or two off of my pace max (both of us on GSXR 600s), and I was not the slowest rider my first day in L2 on an SV650 that I had never ridden and a suspension that was not dialed in. So yeah, Telomere, you would be fine in L2. Like Miles told me "Get with Shaun, I'm sick of your shit". :-)
DR650
Have cool, will travel

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 am

For those of you interested in riding the track this weekend but are concerned about cost, I got an email from CycleCenter of Denton this morning:
TRACK DAY OFFER FROM RIDE SMART!

50% OFF FOR FIRST TIMERS!!!!

Cycle Center of Denton has teamed up with Ride Smart Motorcycle School* for two exciting track days on August 17-18 Motorsport Ranch, Cresson, TX. offer is for allCycle Center of Denton customers.

For all of you that haven't ridden with Ride Smart, we have arranged a 50% off special for your first time as a Level 1 rider. You pay only $70. (50% off the normal price of $140). In addition, Ride Smart will be offering free leather and boot rental for those of you without gear - an additional savings of $75.

We have a limited number of Level 1 50% off coupons for new Ride Smart customers on a first-come, first-served basis. You must be a new Ride Smart customer for the code to work! There's a limited number, so if the code doesn't work, it's all used up!

Motorsport Ranch Cresson, TX - August 17-18 2013

To Register as a new Level 1 Ride Smart Customer: just click the link below and follow the directions.

http://www.ridesmart.info/pr/MSRCa50.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a 10% discount for all other Cycle Center of Denton/Ride Smart Customers: please click on the link below and follow the directions.

http://www.ridesmart.info/pr/MSRCa10.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To find out more about Ride Smart please visit us at: http://ridesmart.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any questions about Ride Smart, registration or about the school, please call Dave Wonders at 512-469-9491 or email dave@ridesmart.info.

Have fun at the track!

Cycle Center of Denton
ImageImageImage

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 am

Funny that Cycle Center would send this seeing how no one in the store knew WTF a gauntlet was when I went to purchase a pair!!!

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:50 am

I bet it had nothing to do with CycleCenter and more to do with Dave trying to fill up his classes this weekend :)
ImageImageImage

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:01 am

Firewa11 wrote:I bet it had nothing to do with CycleCenter and more to do with Dave trying to fill up his classes this weekend :)
You are probably correct. If they do snag some new riders from Cycle Center, I hope they at least offer equipment for people to buy to use at the track.

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:02 am

The 50% off is their longstanding offer for first timers, and really has nothing to do with CycleCenter, even though they market it that way. You can even e-mail Dave directly and he will give you a 50% off code if you're a first timer.