Club ride, this saturday, June 16th

Ride Leaders, post rides
Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Re: Club ride, this saturday

Post by Telomere » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Grinner wrote:Who the phuc is that ugly fat bastard in the stunter jacket? I dont remember seein him on the ride!
:D
:HeadScratch: I don't know either. He just decided to join up with us. Maybe he will take our advice, get a jacket on get on the boards :SideSplittingLaughter: :wheelie:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Bewst
Achievement count: 9

Post by Bewst » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Fun ride. Next time I vote we eat some place with inside dining/AC and beer!!

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Great ride Rick, i really needed that. Everyone did awesome and i'd like to thank all the newbs as well. It's always great to have new faces in the club! Good day all together!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Good ride Fixxer!
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:18 pm

It was good to get the cbr out and goof off.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Great ride Rick! And thanks to the new guys for coming out and joining us!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Fish R1

Post by Fish R1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks to Fixxer and Dragonfly for the lead and Milesmiles on the back end making sure everyone stayed together. I learned a lot today on the ride!!!!!

Thank you again FWMR for a great time!!!!!!

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Hate I missed it, and glad to hear everyone made it out safely. Congrats to the RLIT for leading the ride and to all the newbies for popping their FWMR group ride cherries :)
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:21 pm

El Diabro wrote:Hate I missed it, and glad to hear everyone made it out safely. Congrats to the RLIT for leading the ride and to all the newbies for popping their FWMR group ride cherries :)
Wait, wait now, did you expect everyone to not be safe cause of me?? :))

Bewst wrote:Fun ride. Next time I vote we eat some place with inside dining/AC and beer!!
Deal on the AC

Fish R1 wrote:Thanks to Fixxer and Dragonfly for the lead and Milesmiles on the back end making sure everyone stayed together. I learned a lot today on the ride!!!!!

:grin:
K1600

Haste

Post by Haste » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Fun times, need more rides!

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Haste wrote:Fun times, need more rides!
There is another one tomorrow
K1600

Bewst
Achievement count: 9

Post by Bewst » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Fish R1 wrote:Thanks to Fixxer and Dragonfly for the lead and Milesmiles on the back end making sure everyone stayed together. I learned a lot today on the ride!!!!!

Yes...thank you Miles for taking it in the rear!!

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Bewst wrote: Yes...thank you Miles for taking it in the rear!!
And I bet he took it in stride with a smile on his face. That's just the kinds guy he is.
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Bewst wrote:

Yes...thank you Miles for taking it in the rear!!
:SideSplittingLaughter:
K1600

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 am

Nah, Fixxer every ride I'm glad when we all make it home safely :)
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:49 am

:HeadScratch: I like it in the rear
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

Haste

Post by Haste » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am

I actually learned more on that ride by being able to see bikes infront of me than i do riding solo. I have a really hard time telling how far im leaning over without seeing someone on the same coner and same speed take it. One of those blind corners caught me pretty off guard though, mid turn it was one of those "well fuck, better lean in a bit more or ill be road meat"

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:47 am

Haste wrote:I actually learned more on that ride by being able to see bikes infront of me than i do riding solo. I have a really hard time telling how far im leaning over without seeing someone on the same coner and same speed take it. One of those blind corners caught me pretty off guard though, mid turn it was one of those "well fuck, better lean in a bit more or ill be road meat"
I can never tell how far leaned over I am, I keep my eyes level to the ground.

I know I'm leaned over far when my eyes are not far off the deck, and then there is the knee thing.

Trust in the tires and just lean that thing over.

When I find myself starting to run wide I just put my head down lower, look further through the turn, and push the inside bar harder and that's it, works 100% of the time.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 am

One thing that will help you out the most is looking ahead or "through the turn". If you do that then you will naturally start to lean without having to lean and then come up and then lean again or "adjust". Every single motogp pic you see there eyes are so far ahead of that turn. This will really help you out. Also don't watch the guy too much, then you are riding "his ride" and when he goes down so will you!
The world needs Miles

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:55 am

Haste wrote:I actually learned more on that ride by being able to see bikes infront of me than i do riding solo. I have a really hard time telling how far im leaning over without seeing someone on the same coner and same speed take it. One of those blind corners caught me pretty off guard though, mid turn it was one of those "well fuck, better lean in a bit more or ill be road meat"
That's a terrible indicator. On the track, Fixxer and Striple were following me through some corners where they had their knees dragging the ground and mine hadn't touched down. I was taking the corner at the same speed with less lean angle because I weigh a lot more, so when I hang off the bike it moves the CG farther over than when they do.
milesmiles wrote:Also don't watch the guy too much, then you are riding "his ride" and when he goes down so will you!
Yeah, this too. Even if he doesn't go down, he might be more comfortable taking a turn at higher speed than you. If you're watching the guy in front and he slams his bike over into a turn, you might freak out and lock up, then we're having to call the crash truck because you went off in the ditch.

ALWAYS ride your own ride. The only thing you should be watching the guy in front of you for is to make sure you're not going to hit him. You can and should do that with your peripheral vision.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:20 am

milesmiles wrote:One thing that will help you out the most is looking ahead or "through the turn". If you do that then you will naturally start to lean without having to lean and then come up and then lean again or "adjust". Every single motogp pic you see there eyes are so far ahead of that turn. This will really help you out. Also don't watch the guy too much, then you are riding "his ride" and when he goes down so will you!
This is probably the most critical thing when it comes to turning, look where you want to go, can't stress that enough. It's also speed dependent, I've found myself looking TOO FAR through a turn before on a moderate (was going too slow for where my eyes were) and started to zig zag a little in the turn, the correction was to move my eyes to where I wanted to go, and then the line cleans up, it's like magic, look where you want to go can't stress that enough. The worst possible places you could look are outside of the turn, and down at the road in front of you, both are sure ways to run wide.

As others have stated, target fixation on the person in front of you isn't good either, if your riding someone elses line your riding someone elses ride. You can ride your own ride and still be on the same line as the person in front of you, just watch for YOUR tip in, YOUR apex and YOUR exit.

It's one of those things that is said so much, but rarely processed and practiced right away, it takes time to get your brain into this mode, and will make the biggest difference in your corning when starting out.

Also, please keep in mind I'm talking about street riding with my post above, it assumes you are not riding at your limit and at the edge of the tires therefore there is always some lean angle left.

It's good for dodging things like dead animals and gravel mid turn if you need to tighten up to get around something, and is also helpful for when a decreasing radius sneaks up on you.

The caveat is if your riding at the limit of your tires on the street (impossible on a moderate ride), if your at the edge of your tires and you head into a decreasing radius it could end badly, or if you need to correct mid turn to dodge something you wont' have that "cushion" to correct.

And the BEST advice I can possibly give is right here:

Get to the track, work with an instructor, and it WILL increase your skill and confidence on the street. We say that a lot on here, but there is good reason for it :D

AND show up for more rides :))
K1600

Haste

Post by Haste » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:37 am

To clarify, i wasnt tracking the bike ahead of me as i was going through. I was matching speed and watching how agressively they were leaned in and then heading into the turn. That being said, in the tight formation group upfront i have alot more difficulty than close to mid pack where i have more room to adjust and experiment.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:10 pm

And ideally there should be 2 seconds gap between you and the guy in front of you. It's hard to keep that gap though cause it's actually much bigger then people realize so unless you and focusing on the timing gap people have a tendandcy to space the gap closer to a bike length or tw.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Haste

Post by Haste » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:11 pm

DarcShadow wrote:And ideally there should be 2 seconds gap between you and the guy in front of you. It's hard to keep that gap though cause it's actually much bigger then people realize so unless you and focusing on the timing gap people have a tendandcy to space the gap closer to a bike length or tw.
lol i think i was annoying the people behind me because i usually ride with a big buffer zone between me and whoever im in front of.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Re: Club ride, this saturday, June 16th

Post by dufremle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:48 pm

I added the date to the thread title so no one thinks this is a ride for this coming weekend
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner