Coffee anyone?

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Coffee anyone?

Post by Tooner » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:19 am

For me one of the disadvantages of getting up M-F at 0400 is that on Saturday and Sunday my internal clock faithfully wakes me at about the same time, so...
about 10 years ago I learned that my former (LDS) religion that I was spoon fed from day one was not what it claimed to be. (thank you Google) So nowadays instead of hiding my occasional cup of Coffee I now drink it every day that ends with y! I can drink it black but prefer a little cream and splenda. I have a Keurig that works good in a pinch, but I really like cold brew, but that takes hours to make. I also like Starbucs, and McDonalds coffee for some reason. I have found that Folgers instant is a darn good pre-workout and I love to sprinkle it over ice cream. How do you like your Coffee?
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Coffee anyone?

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:14 pm

I hate it but I drink it every morning. Whatever funky flavor I can find, right now it's vanilla doughnut with as candied as a creamer as I can find and ice. if it doesn't taste like coffee then I can choke it down.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:33 pm

I've been drinking it for years but never cared what it was. A very small amount of creamer and sugar. Even plain black. Just recently I've started to become curious about "good coffee" and also different processes of making it. I was thinking about buying a French press
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:35 pm

Try cold brewed. All the flavor and none of the bitterness or acidity. It just takes time to make.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:45 am

I used to get the $5 espresso cocktails, but then I bothered to actually look them up and found out that they can be over 400 calories for a 12oz cup. So I backed off that. I now use an Aeropress witch works well for my use. For me it is easier than a French press, but with similar results. The wife doesn't drink it so I only make 16oz in the morning, which is about what I can make in one batch. I do, however, buy premium-ish brands. I don't remember how it happened but I accidently bought whole bean coffee once and had to grind it fresh before making it, in a blender because I didn't have a grinder, and I was surprised how much of a difference it made. So, most of the time, that's what I do now. Grind whole beans fresh in the morning and use the Aeropress to make the equivalent of 2 cups. That seems to work best for me. But I am now intrigued by this cold brewed thing you have mentioned. I will see what it takes and give it a try.

BTW, even though (or perhaps because) I grew up near Seattle, I don't like Starbuck's. I recognize that it is a personal preference and I do not judge those who do (even though they are wrong). Also, I can drink stuff out of the Keurig if that's what's on hand, it really is just too damn convenient, but it is not my first choice. In any case, a bad cup of coffee can usually be fixed well enough by two packets each of sugar and creamer.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:26 am

Both of my girls drink coffee so I bought them a coffee maker a few years ago AND a coffee grinder. I don't drink coffee unless it doesn't taste like coffee but I had to show them both how to use the machine and the grinder. I don't know if they preferred whole beans to pre-ground or not (they are kids and lazy). I may need to show Rick how to use the grinder if he wants to try whole beans.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:57 am

Telomere wrote: I may need to show Rick how to use the grinder if he wants to try whole beans.
Too much work when you consider it will still taste like water filtered through an old sock.
K1600

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:58 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
Telomere wrote: I may need to show Rick how to use the grinder if he wants to try whole beans.
Too much work when you consider it will still taste like water filtered through an old sock.
:SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Here is what I used to use: http://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew

It made way too much for me if making an entire batch. What I do now is use a french press (just the glass part) to make about enough for about 2 weekends. I use 5 oz of ground coffee (the cheap Walmart brand, dark roast) and add 23 oz of cold water to it (direct from the fridge dispenser). Don't use hot water. I stir it well and let it sit overnight, sometimes longer depending on when I mix it up. I usually stir it before I go to bed then again when get up. Then I strain it through a coffee filter into a glass. This is your concentrated coffee. I pour this into an ice cube tray and freeze it. I use one cube, with added water, per cup of coffee. That is strong enough for me.

You can buy the expensive coffee but I don't think it tastes much better. At least not for the price. Your palate may be different. You can make it as strong or weak as you like by adjusting how much you put in the cup. I like it because you are not using hot water, which means the oils and acids that hot water draws out of the beans isn't there. It won't even stain your clothes if you spill it.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Can it really be called brewing if it's all done cold? The definition of brew is to mix with hot water, or boil. You're doing neither of those so you're not actually brewing anything. You don't brew Kool-Aid and this mixing of coffee in cold water is pretty much the same thing. :)

As to me and coffee, don't drink it, never have, and can't really any more anyway. I've developed a nasty caffeine addiction and if I have even one soda I get horrible headaches a day or two later unless I have a soda every day. Which isn't too bad, but I hate the idea of being dependent on something like that so I've given up caffeine all together and stick mostly to lemonaid. Sucks cause there are times when I really want a Dew.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:58 pm

I get Eight O'clock Coffee Columbian whole beans and a disk burr grinder. I'm too lazy to grind the beans fresh everyday so I go in the garage ('cause it's f-ing noisy) and grind a pound at a time.
I've never tried cold brew, does it warm up well?
If you don't have stomach problems or advanced tooth enamel erosion, is there anything really wrong with acid and oils from coffee? We have acids and oils in many food products we eat (nuts, citrus, tomatoes, wine, etc.) so what's wrong with the coffee versions?

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Re: RE: Re: Coffee anyone?

Post by dufremle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:41 pm

fartymarty wrote:If you don't have stomach problems or advanced tooth enamel erosion, is there anything really wrong with acid and oils from coffee? We have acids and oils in many food products we eat (nuts, citrus, tomatoes, wine, etc.) so what's wrong with the coffee versions?
Taste. Coffee is much better without the bitterness and acids. Try it and see.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Polokid69
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 23

Post by Polokid69 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 am

never cared for coffee , instead started in 70's drinking Coke in the morning, then Dr. Pepper, and now Monster, still has the caffeine.
Current Bike:
KTM RC390

Previous Bikes:
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
1983 Kawasaki GPZ550
1980 Yamaha RD400
1978 Yamaha DT 125
1978 Yamaha YZ 125
1975 Yamaha DT 100