Mystery for you

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Mystery for you

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm 99.99% sure I've figured it out I just have to verify so here is they mystery

Ram 2500 quad cab, load rated tires all the way around, brand new suspension (new shocks, ball joints, tie rods, if it can be replaced it's been replaced) 0 issues in a few thousand miles, tires are well broke in but probably 75% tread left all the way around.

Get into a minor accident, all of the damage is cosmetic for the most part, continue to drive the truck after the accident for over a week, no issues, drop the truck off to be repaired.

Repair involves replacing the side of the bed, left rear wheel, left rear lug nut cover, left rear tire, left year tail light assembly, some bed liner, paint, and bumper. When they replace the left rear wheel/tire they check the suspension and alignment to make sure everything is A-OK, all suspension components come back fine, good to go.

I pick up the truck and drive around, everything's good, I get on the free way and my ass is eating the seat and I'm fighting to keep the truck stable, it's all over the damn road any minor turn or lane change results in the truck going all over the road.

In a fit of "oh shit those assholes jacked something up" I took the truck to another shop, they completely go over the truck and can't find anything wrong except the right rear tire MIGHT have a busted belt, not sure, can't confirm but it bounces when there is no load on it. I say fuck it replace the tire cause this truck is scary to drive, otherwise the truck was out of alignment but shop 2 says all suspension components are good to go. They replace the tire with the same exact brand/size/type and turn me lose.

NOW it's WAY WORSE at 40mph the truck feels like it's going to god damn roll - it does bounce a lot less so guessing the right rear had at least one busted belt but it's like driving on ice, I don't even complete my test drive I turn around to head back - shop closed before I could get back.

So I start thinking through WTF could possibly be wrong, I think well tire pressure, can't tell you how many times I've gotten new tires and they don't air them up so I check the side wall - 80psi - check the tire pressure, 80psi, all the way around so I think well shit I guess it's not going to be that easy.

Clues:
Load rated tires (heavy duty diesel) tire pressure set by the tire rating (don't get me started on the door rating shit)
Everything was fine until the body shop replaced the left rear tire then they checked the suspension and did an alignment
After the second shop replaced the right rear tire, it got WORSE
The roads are all terrain tires (on road/off road) so pretty big tread block

It will take me about 10 minutes to "fix" my truck - what's wrong with it?

NO cheating - what is the problem
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Re: Mystery for you

Post by JeffStrom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 am

You got directional (bias ply even?) tires and they mounted them backwards. It would seem odd that both shops would do it though.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:33 am

Nope
K1600

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Tires like that are only to be filled to maximum pressure when loaded. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should.....
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:20 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
...... continue to drive the truck after the accident for over a week, no issues, drop the truck off to be repaired.

Repair involves replacing the side of the bed, left rear wheel, left rear lug nut cover, left rear tire, left year tail light assembly, some bed liner, paint, and bumper. When they replace the left rear wheel/tire they check the suspension and alignment to make sure everything is A-OK, all suspension components come back fine, good to go.

Everything was fine until the body shop replaced the left rear tire then they checked the suspension and did an alignment
After the second shop replaced the right rear tire, it got WORSE

Well it worked fine before, so they must have left something loose during the alignment, my guess: Loose track bar ( aka panhard bar) allowing the whole rear end to oscillate left to right flexing on the springs?
Sorry, don't know much about trucks, is that coils or leafs on that sucker. Last 4 wheeled vehicle I've owned with a real frame was a '73 El Camino. Lot's of unibody flexible stuff since then. :icon_rolleyes:

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Tires were over inflated

When they are pumped up that high they are so rigid the tread blocks flex losing grip with the pavement.

I dropped them to 45 psi and now it's right as rain.
K1600

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:10 pm

fixxervi6 wrote: It will take me about 10 minutes to "fix" my truck - what's wrong with it?
fixxervi6 wrote:Tires were over inflated

When they are pumped up that high they are so rigid the tread blocks flex losing grip with the pavement.

I dropped them to 45 psi and now it's right as rain.
That took about 10 minutes? :HeadScratch:

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 am

Yea, you gotta hold down the plug for a long time to drain that much air, drain for a while, check pressure, drain for a long time, check pressure, drain for a long time, check pressure, repeat 3 more times.
K1600