dirt riding Saterday

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

dirt riding Saterday

Post by Tooner » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Weather permitting I am thinking about playing on this small (free) track that Shaun showed me a few months ago. I will be there riding "easy" at about 8:00 am for a couple of hours (Break in period 2.5 hours then $300 maintenance).

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9172428 ... a=!3m1!1e3

from the above link go west from 287 on West Bonds Ranch Road. You will come to train tracks withing a few hundred yards. After crossing the tracks turn left (south) and continue on the frontage road that parallels the tracks for about half a mile and look to your right, (west) after the homes end and you will see the track that looks like a figure 8 on the map. Fun place to goof around. Last time I was there Miles made a guest appearance!!!
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: dirt riding Saterday

Post by soslow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:11 pm

next time Shane. I want to ride dirt bikes badly

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:42 am

soslow wrote:next time Shane. I want to ride dirt bikes badly
No problem, I am after all just doing the putt putt break-in ride. Because of the race at TMS I decided to go to Shady Grove and miss all the traffic congestion. One of these days we can hit Red River or something like that.
Shane
2018 crf450r

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Had a really good first(break-in) dirt day. DIY hour meter counting the minutes. After my first session, I sat down and googled my first big issue. To put it in the words of one of the several online articles I read about the throttle issue, it's a bit of a herky-jerky series of unsyncopated lurches with each micro-movement of the throttle. The FI maps are: mode 1=standard, 2=tuned down, 3=full power. I was riding in 2 for the break-in but learned that Honda remapped (only) mode 1 to be less abrupt/lurchy after the 2017 bike had this problem. Switching to mode 1 greatly improved the issue but I am looking into getting a remap from Tokyo Mods and or a slightly stiffer throttle spring to help tame that wild on/off toggle they are calling a throttle.

After the next session, I took a quarter turn off the compression damping from the front and rear which seemed to really make a difference on the landings, funny how a few inches off the ground makes me feel like Evel Knievel.

Next let me just say, I love the hell out of that button! I somehow stalled the engine coming out of a corner, Clutch, Button, and GAME ON!!! Old men like me do not need to be kick-staring bikes.

After the ride, I stopped at DS Cycle where I planned on leaving the bike for the post break in service. The "real" mechanic was MIA so I asked the guy who called himself "just a tech" what the service entailed. He said well, we change the oil, and oil filter and.....look at all the parts to make sure nothing is coming loose. ---And charge me $250--- umm, Hell NO. There is no warranty on this bike that would require the service to remain in force so I bought a filter and a quart of oil for $25.... I also lubed/adjusted the chain and checked "all the parts to make sure nothing was coming loose"! Good day, EBL=0
Shane
2018 crf450r

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:54 am

Dang. I'm out in NC right now or I'd totally be down
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles