Coolant

Blizzard_1708

Coolant

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 pm

I know B2Bold hasn't been posting on the site in a long time, but tonight he was asking me if you can put regular antifreeze in the bike? I have no idea, but I know the experts on FWMR can tell me!

Bird
Achievement count: 0

Post by Bird » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Antifreeze in HAWAII??!!?? :lol:

Regular antifreeze shouldn't cause any problems as it's set up for aluminum and steel engines. Never really thought about it ... I haven't ever even checked the Bird's antifreeze.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:39 pm

I think for the most part all bikes use normal green anti freeze. You should always check though as some anti freeze don't mix well with others.

I run Blue Ice in mine. It's what came in it when I bought it but I've heard others say that with Blue Ice they have noticed a 15 to 20 degree drop in their engine run temp.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

rnbcbr1000

Post by rnbcbr1000 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:48 pm

Most brands of coolant will work in bikes these days since they are designed for aluminum and steel radiators/engines and provide corrosion prevention protection.

I try to never mix different products of fluids in my bike, just a personal preference, even though it may be perfectly acceptible. The only problem I can see is that some coolants come pre-mixed to 50:50 in the bottle already. If you are in a warm climate and freezing is not a consideration then there is nothing to really worry about, but if you mess up your mixture ratio too bad in colder climates where freezing is likely you might (although unlikely) run into problems. If you want to use a different coolant than recommended by the manufacture and unsure of the bikes mixture ratio, just buy a mixture gauge at any auto parts store and make sure it is at an acceptable mixture level for your climate(temp). If it is just a top off, then you will be O.K. to put in a top quality, corrosive preventative coolant in the bike, just premix it with H20 per directions before servicing.

If ever in doubt you can always do a drain and flush on the system, relatively easy and inexpensive, and replace all the coolant with the same brand. Hope this rambling helped B2Bold.
[url=http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3qf8.jpg][img]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8339/picture3qf8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Jason

If you're not riding on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:06 am

All I know is never mix different color coolants :lol: . I've seen a red one before.

I am about to do a forced upgrade to Engine Ice (The blue stuff DS is talking about), due to a rock in the radiator yesterday. I was told that if you do this, you need to be sure and flush ALL of the green stuff out, or the two will make jelly in your engine/radiator.

Also, racers hate regular anti-freeze as it is extremely slick and takes a long time to clean of surfaces properly. I had it spilt on my front tire/brake assembly and I was super paranoid on the ride home.
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

weaksauce

Post by weaksauce » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:44 pm

vagrant wrote:All I know is never mix different color coolants :lol: . I've seen a red one before.

I am about to do a forced upgrade to Engine Ice (The blue stuff DS is talking about), due to a rock in the radiator yesterday. I was told that if you do this, you need to be sure and flush ALL of the green stuff out, or the two will make jelly in your engine/radiator.

Also, racers hate regular anti-freeze as it is extremely slick and takes a long time to clean of surfaces properly. I had it spilt on my front tire/brake assembly and I was super paranoid on the ride home.
I just tried to flush all mine out this last week. I must have filled and drained 3 times and still have some slick stuff in it. I'm shooting for a 100% distilled water radiater so that I don't have to worry about slippery stuff. I guess I better make sure that my bike stays warm this winter.....
word.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:31 pm

Straight water doesn't cool as well as a mixture. Just something to remember.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:39 pm

I'd like to see some test data to prove that. It just doesn't seem logical. Adding stuff to water so that id doesn't freeze as easily also means that it doesn't heat as easily. But I'm sure there's a lot more chemistry involved then that. That's why I'm an engineer and not a chemist.

GSXRRider
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by GSXRRider » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:19 pm

Adding salt to water makes it heat faster because the molcules rub more and get toasty. Im sure you know this. I would guess its the same theory in reverse. Some how it slows the molicules.

Id like to test the Antifreeze thing it would be easy. I could do it on my stove with thermomiters and time how fast it gets to 100 Deg. Now there are veriables like one burner is hotter than another, same water containers, etc.

hmmmm......Ill let you know how the testing comes out. :)

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Not sure playing with it on a stove would give you quite the same results. It's not just a cause of how fast it heats, but how fast it absorbs heat and then releases it. It would be interesting though.

OldTLSDoug

Post by OldTLSDoug » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:11 am

Water Wetter and the like affect how well water flows over the surfaces of the cooling device. Basically it makes the coolant "stick" better and therefore get more effective heat transfer. I run Engine Ice in my scooters, and they honestly run 10 degrees cooler in summer. The antifreeze in Engine Ice makes it more attractive than Water Wetter to me. I pay $18.00 per half gallon at the local dealer, Cycle Gear gets almost $20.00 per half gallon.

Using automotive antifreeze is ok as long as it is a low silica content, which I believe anything for aluminum engines these days is, to prevent damage to seals and the water pump.
Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Tuono
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/tlsdoug/gtownsquidsquad/logostuff/G-Town%20Logo%20Red%20cropped%20sig.jpg[/img]

weaksauce

Post by weaksauce » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:23 am

dufremle wrote:Straight water doesn't cool as well as a mixture. Just something to remember.
probably true, but since it is about 50-60 degrees outside right now, I don't hink overheating is going to be an issue. Hell if i cooked my motor, it would be a nice excuse to swap in some cams, and have some head work done.......
word.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:59 am

OldTLSDoug wrote:Water Wetter and the like affect how well water flows over the surfaces of the cooling device. Basically it makes the coolant "stick" better and therefore get more effective heat transfer.
Ah! Now that makes sence. While the heat trasfer of the additive in the water may decrese heat transfer properties, that fact that it "sticks" to the radiator causes it to transfer heat better. Very interesting.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:20 am

Where do you guys find the Engine Ice?
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:38 am

Well first you load your bike onto a C130 and then fly it north to the pole. Let it sit out there for a few days, and walla, Engine Ice. :lol:

Most of the cycle shops carry it. Scott has it at Cycle Werkz.
Last edited by DarcShadow on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:20 pm

DarcShadow wrote:Well first you load your bike onto a C130 and then fly it north to the pole. Let it sit out there for a few days, and walla, Engine Ice. :lol:
Lame, so lame!

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:33 am

ANOTHER SPAMMER, DO NOT OPEN!!

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:42 am

Pemapmen76 wrote:LOL
Terry, ban this guy.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

terry2

Post by terry2 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:03 am

anti-freeze will not only lower the freezing point of your coolant, it also raises the boiling point. i dont think i would run without it. there are track approved alternatives the are just more expensive.
t2

BigBuell

Post by BigBuell » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 am

Firewa11 wrote:Where do you guys find the Engine Ice?
Find royal purple oil dealer. It's made by Royal Purple
RIde or not to Ride, What a silly question

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:56 am

CycleWerkz also sells Engine Ice.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner