Elite Track Day August 13th - Cresson

Darth Yamaha
Achievement count: 0

Elite Track Day August 13th - Cresson

Post by Darth Yamaha » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:04 pm

I've never heard of these guys, but they have a track day posted on the Cresson Motorsport Ranch site on August 13th. They only have two classes (racers and not), and are only allowing 50 riders in total.

What's the scoop on these guys?

Jimmy
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:17 pm

Never heard of them. Looking through their web site though they kind of sound like a group that is just getting up and running.

Also to note, they say "No automotive ethyl glycol based coolants are allowed" The word automotive is throwing me a little though, do bikes use a different coolant or is Elite saying you need to run pure water, or water wetter?
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Darth Yamaha

Post by Darth Yamaha » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:33 pm

I also noticed that they want you to replace the coolant with water. I think it's a bogus requirement, as the track usually dictates track rules like that.
Anyway, it looked interesting as there will only be two groups, with 50 in total.

J
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:31 am

I sent an email to Elite asking for clarification on the antifreeze issue. Their response was 'No CAR antifreeze'. So I would assume that 'motorcycle' antifreeze is acceptable.

Moving this topic to General DIscussions.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:19 am

50 riders in total is cool, but how much is that per person? I mean just to cover fees for renting the track alone, with no profit split 50 ways has got to be expensive.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:44 am

It's only $150 if you register online, $200 if you register the day of the event.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 pm

greeeeeeeeat........I know that there will be alot of posers thinking :"Elite?......hmmm thats ME! Im awseome!"

Just make sure they sound professional and have everything in place - eg ambulances on call and reasonable safety regulations etc etc.

regarding the antifreeze, Im sure they probably MEANT all antifreeze, as Im pretty sure that car antifreeze and bike antifreeze are exactly the same thing when it comes down to reduction in track friction to slightly above a-bee's-dick. Other options include water wetter, Engine Ice, distilled water....
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

Bird Shooter

Post by Bird Shooter » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Vag, you are right. automobile and motorcycle anti-freeze are one in the same. They contain glycol (slick as shit). If you buy Honda anti-freeze, it's probably Prestone marked up to motorcycle prices. In my opinion, it's really smart to run water on the track and it's easy to change the fluids . If someone has a leak, or goes down in front of you, you are screwed with anti-freeze. One trackday, someone leaked anti-freeze and took out a few people.
[img]http://www.fwmr.net/images/rideleader/white1.gif[/img]
Jeff
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1897/avatr3nd5gu7fn3.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1995/bushflippingfingeranimapd2.gif[/img][/url]

digi

Post by digi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:29 am

Someone was talking about people in california and other places were putting antifreeze on the curves to wreck people.

grrrrrrr.

I don't care what the want. I run antifreeze in my shit, and you know what... if thats their "requirement" I won't run on their track days. I'm not going to cycle fluids for a track day. If it was a race (and if I was as good as Jeff) I might think different, but if it's not required for ridesmart or lone star, then why should I consider cycling fluids for anyone else?
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:45 am

I'm going to switch over to Engine Ice myself, I've been being lazy and haven't done it yet, but maybe this weekend actually. Hey if it's good enough for AMA it's good enough for Cresson :grin:

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:57 pm

some say engine ice works even better than typical anti freeze - except in continuous sub-zero temps. I ran Engine Ice in my zx6r through winter there in fort worth, riding on several days that were wavering about freezing point. no problems.

ridesmart dont require it, but i bet if you spoke to any of the instructors they would recommend it.

its not at all about how "good" you are on a bike. its about safety of everyone on the track - and about maximising track time. if you crash, and crack your radiator/hoses then everyone behind you will be riding on ice in that section (most likely in the middle of a corner). Also if there is a spill on the track, the track gets closed for as long as it takes to remove the spill (once its noticed).

But as you say, its not currently a requirement for Ridesmart or Lonestar. So dont sweat it, its your personal choice.
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:03 pm

just my 2 cents...

My home track near Lubbock preferred you to use straight water or other products like water wetter and such instead of antifreeze for the same reasons as previously described above but they also stated that by using such products it reduces the track shut down time for clean up because antifreeze was apparently a bee-otch to clean up after a blown pass.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Bottom line, if you're going to run on their track, follow their rules. I can understand the thinking and don't blame them. Cleaning antifreeze from the track would take a LONG time ... then again, it would also require one of STB's crashes to cause it in the FIRST place! :-)
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Drewcati

Post by Drewcati » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:33 pm

Hey Guys,

I was about to post up plugging for this track day.

I went to their first one at the beginning of this month and it was great. Very organized, people riding with their noggins on straight, small groups, 30 min sessions as you guys stated, and great husband and wife (Evan and Moira) team trying to get their trackday business going.

I wouldn't worry about the antifreeze thing. Tech inspection isn't that rigid at all.

I'll be at this one pitting with some guys. Would love to see some of you there...

Andrew
02 998

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:27 pm

Sounds like a good crew then.

Man....im still waiting for it to heat up a little more here before heading out to mallala (local track). 2 back-to-back winters sucks.
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

ZX9R

Post by ZX9R » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 pm

I have signed up for this one. Anyone else going? I figured this one and the next monday would be great. Hard to pass up in your back yard.
Riding around aimlessly will get you no where!

2000 ZX-9R
2005 ZX-10R
2011 YZF-R1

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Hey, Ever, didn't you ride this one today? Give us a track report and what you're feeling this evening. :grin:
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

ZX9R

Post by ZX9R » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:54 pm

The day is over and dust is settled!!! Damn! is was hot one with 30 minute ride sessions. Alot of track time. only 5 people left on the track at closing time. That is a good track day know you got everything you wanted from it. I will post up some pics after Blair gets them on the website.

Thanks to the BirdShooter for coming out and helping me load up. I was beat.
Riding around aimlessly will get you no where!

2000 ZX-9R
2005 ZX-10R
2011 YZF-R1