FWMR Bike Night Dec 14th

Club bike nights and events other than rides here are here. Events usually posted on the calendar as well.
Bird
Achievement count: 0

Post by Bird » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:07 am

Do NOT go to the link posted in the last message. We have some geeks with too much time on their hands. We'll knock them out once we figure out the best way to do it.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:09 pm

I guess the troll population has spiked again - too many trolls rooting each other up the bum. Time to reopen troll hunting season.
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:26 pm

TERRY, YOU NEED TO GIVE US SOME RIGHTS TO BAN AND DELETE POSTS.... EITHER THAT, OR CHECK OUT THE BOARD MORE OFTEN! :smile:
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:19 pm

I think it might be time to implement approvals before allowing members to join / post. Should be pretty obvious if they are a spammer or not...

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:32 pm

all the names have been easily identifiable. Instituting a priveledge before being able to post isnt a bad idea

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm starting to head that way, too. Some of the boards I have joined will let you view, but not post until you have moderator approval. May be something we need to check out.
Mike

crono782

Post by crono782 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:42 pm

i personally think approval before posting is dumb personally, i usually won't ever post if i feel like i "need approval" to even say hello. at the very least an email should be dispatched to confirm creating an account and also a admin addon for using a "security image" at the time of registration. i'm betting these guys are using a script taking advantage of a bug in this version of phpbb. i've been an admin of very large forums before and used to see this stuff on a much bigger level. (i was dealing w/ about 100+ spam posts per day from just random spammers not to mention the script kiddies). this isn't so bad, just more annoying than anything.

but yes, i DO agree that some other members should be given at least delete/edit post privs and if some already do, then they should start flexing that mod muscle more often. i think bans should still be up to admins, but mods should def have edit/del powers. i would imagine a quick trip to the phpbb site and getting the latest patches would eliminate a few of these spammers. :smile:
===============
excellence through
superior mediocrity.

crono782

Post by crono782 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:49 pm

actually after doing a google search, u can see that these spam messages are identical (verbatim) on many other phpbb boards... so yeah, betcha its a security hole in this version. a quick patching by admin, then ban the already registered spammers, and delete the posts = hopefully no more spam.
===============
excellence through
superior mediocrity.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:30 am

I agree with you on the not liking to need approval, and I wont join a board if I can't read it without registering. But if I can read, and decide whether or not I like it, then I would probably register to post and wait authorization

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:35 am

HEY E-THUG!!!! Stop bullying little children at your local elementary school and patch-up!!!!!!
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

Bird

Post by Bird » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:33 pm

crono782 wrote:... i've been an admin of very large forums before and used to see this stuff on a much bigger level. (i was dealing w/ about 100+ spam posts per day from just random spammers not to mention the script kiddies). this isn't so bad, just more annoying than anything. ...
Well, Crono, step forward and offer us your advice and words of wisdom (like the patch idea). Most of us are fairly new to this and need all the help we can get from someone that has already been there. That's what this club is all about ... learning from others!
Mike

crono782

Post by crono782 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:51 pm

i didn't mean to sound snooty there. :D
first of all, its the actual site admin that has to do the updating/addons to keep the spammers out as this requires root access. i suggest comparing the versions of phpbb to the current release and update to the newest version as needed. the current release tells u how to do this (unless u want a clean install. i full backup would prolly be good in that case. :) )
the other thing i would suggest is this thread: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... ht=spammer
thats all different mod addons to phpbb to help stop spammers w/out having new users to receive auth before posting. i figure if this (meaning the forum) is the main way to attract new visitors/club members, it should be easy to get on and post and not discourage newcomers... IMO

adding privs to some members will help curb the annoyance at least a mod addon will be a more permanent solution to stop it altogether.
===============
excellence through
superior mediocrity.