Track Day n00b Preparation

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
matadorCE
Achievement count: 0

Track Day n00b Preparation

Post by matadorCE » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:11 pm

I'm planning to do the trackday on the 5th, and since this will be my first one ever i'd like some suggestions and tips as to what to bring/how to prepare/etc.
I already read through the Ridesmart website, so i know what gear to have what i need to do to the bike.

I don't have a truck/suv/trailer, so i'll be riding the bike there and back home (hopefully). I've also read that you can go to the track a day early to set up camp there. What do i need to bring? I assume i'll need:
- a chair to sit on while i'm not on track
- food and water
- tire pressure gauge, some tools, and air pump
- ??????

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:18 pm

Dave has water, and provides burgers for lunch but bringing extra water and food is always a good idea. I like to take some banannas and grapes.

As for tools, you don't need to worry too much. There is always some one there you can borrow something from. The basics for what you need to prep the bike should be good enough.

The other thing to remember is tape. Don't use duct tape, the best choice is the blue painters tape. It comes off the easiest. I don't like blue though so I'll put black duct tape on top of the blue paint, purely for looks. Also the numbers that Dave will give you to put on the bike are very very sticky stickers. DO NOT put them on the bike. Use the painters tape to tape them to the bike. If you use the stickers as provide you'll spend several hours trying to get them off. Also pull the fuse or unplug the bulbs for your headlight. If you don't the heat will make getting even the painters tape off a royal pain in the ass.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

digi

Post by digi » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:21 pm

The stickers are a real nightmare. If you use WD-40 to remove, they will come off easier.

For the bike:

1. Remove your mirrors if you can

2. Tape headlight, tail light, signals, reflectors

3. Remove your headlight fuse

4. Check your tires. How much tread is left?

5. Check your tire pressure. People at the track can help with this, tire pressures may have to be different from the street.

6. Change your oil if you haven't changed it in a while. You will run at higher revs for a longer period of time.

7. Make sure your brakes are good, and feel "right" to you. Make sure they stop, as advertised. You will definitely need it coming off the straight into the rattlesnake.

8. Check your chain tension. They do this at the track, at tech inspection. They may turn down a bike with a overly loose chain.

9. Bring extra gas in a can that is easy to use.

10. Tools, not so much, depends if you are prepping at home, or at the track.

11. Possibly your suspension adjusted.

For you:

1. Leathers

2. Helmet. The track will check yours at inspection.

3. A chair, water and food if you wish.

4. A open mind, and a desire to stay alive =)

5. A truck or trailer, with ramps... if you can. You will be tired after the day is done.

I just did my level 1. We didn't sit around much. We were either in class, or on the track, and they keep you moving. By the last session, I was more concerned with fixing myself, and my lines, rather then going fast. It was mostly due to sheer fatigue... they will tire you out.

You will have a blast, and you will be hooked.
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:44 pm

:plus1:

matadorCE

Post by matadorCE » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:09 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming :grin:

Already got new tires put on this weekend and suspension adjusted. Just did an oil change but will do another one before the trackday. Brakes feel good and have plenty of pad, so i'm thinking the bike is ready to go. I may take the bike to Cyclewerks and ask if they can do a track inspection in the days prior to the track day just to be sure.

I've got leathers, helmet, race boots, race gloves, and i'm ordering a back and chest protector this week.

I'll add a gas can to my list of stuff to take there. So it is possible to take the bike to the track on that Sunday, drop my stuff off, prep and leave the bike there overnight? that way i can just get dropped off at the track in the morning and be good to go.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:20 pm

If you just changed the oil you probably don't need to worry about changing it again just for the track day.

lots of people leave their bikes at the track over night. Several people camp out as well. Some also ride their bike that morning, prep it, run the track day, then ride the bike home.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

matadorCE

Post by matadorCE » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:24 pm

Awesome. Since i've been then I don't know what to expect, so i'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst 8)

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:26 pm

You will be fine man. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Some guys go there with bare minimum stuff, and still have as much fun as the guy with a full race bike. If all you're doing is having some fun, you are in good shape if you follow digi's list.
A brother is a friend given by Nature. Legouve.

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Just get your bike ready and your mind in the right place before you enter the track. I rode my bike to my first 3 or 4 and had a great time. You WILL be tired when it is all done, so keep that in mind. Post up and maybe someone will be using a trailer from your area that you can hook up with.

It's all fun and learning ... not a competition (unless you're Jeff :-) ) I'll see if I can help you get things organized after I get back from the West coast and the other guys get back from Arkansas (next week).
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

matadorCE

Post by matadorCE » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, definitely take them to heart. I'm used to being the slow one when I ride with you guys, so i'm not out to beat any lap records :-)

My two main goals will be a) try to learn as much as possible and b) not crash :cool:

beercap

Post by beercap » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:17 am

Listen to digi... those dam number stickers they give you adhere
themselves so well they are a bitch to get off without WD-40...

After that, I never peeled off the number sticker backs and used the
same blue masking tape to tape the edges of the number stickers to
my bikes so they peeled off easily at the end of the day.

Have fun! :neutral:
Beercap

digi wrote:The stickers are a real nightmare. If you use WD-40 to remove, they will come off easier.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9436/twins1zv7.gif[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9751/opusfinalgf2.gif[/img][/url]