anyone tried shinko tires?

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

anyone tried shinko tires?

Post by armedandinsain » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:20 pm

ok so i rode to work wed afternoon "thinking" i had 200 to 300 miles left on my back tire when i got there i noticed belt showing in one spot. so i limped it back home that night. now there is belt showing all the way around. i stopped at a shop today off of loop 12 and they only stocked shinko tires. never seen them before and a 180/55-17 for $125 isnt bad at all. i didnt get it not knowing the brand or how it would hold up ( 95% of my riding is going to be on 20 to and from work) i read some reviews on line and it seams like most people like them. they are only rated to 168mph but i really dont plan i ever going that fast any time soon. have any of you guys ever tried them or know anyone that has?http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/in ... category=1

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Nope. Never tried them.
Tire wear has a lot to do with the way you ride. Fireblade claims to get 8 to 10k from some pilot powers. I get 5k out of the rear and 10k out of the front. I'm starting to think maybe the way I accellerate has a lot to do with my rear tire wearing 50% faster.
Michelin Pilot Powers - great sport tire - not so great highway tire for me.
Pilot Power 2CT - if you have extra money. I don't race on the track so not worth it for me.
Dunlop Qualifer - I liked it better than the 2CT I had run just before this one went on.
Most recently I went back to Pilot Powers though.
Next time I do a set I want to try the Continenal Sport Attack.
-
Go ahead and get some - Stinko-Schinko's.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

mattjmartin
Achievement count: 0

Post by mattjmartin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Really the only difference between the shinko (I assume you are talking about the 005s) versus a lot of the more modern sport tires is the technology. If you do some research, the reason shinkos are so cheap is because they have no R&D involved in the production. They actually bought molds and such from yokohoma when they got out of motorcycle tire production. They are a decent product. The 005 is their stickier/sportier tire though.

I would actually suggest some Avon ST tires or the Shinko 009s for you. Both can be had really cheap, are good quality and will yield GREAT highway mileage. This suggestion is assuming that you don't spend much time at anything other than perpendicular to the road surface though.

If you do try out the Shinkos, post back up and let us know. I am curious as to their performance as well.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:03 pm

I have one on the back of my zx9r. It seems to be doin quite well the people I bought the bike from put it on for me. Seems to stick well. My brother & neighbor have Mich pilot & it seems to do well when I ride with them. My opinion Thumbs Up! :icon_thumb:

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Just as an update to this thread:
I will be mounting up some Shinko 009s to my FZ6 this week. The 009s are their high mileage sport touring tire. I bought some wheels for my track bike that came with a brand new set, and I was going to buy tires soon anyway, so I couldn't have asked for a better deal. I would have rather ran one of their stickier models up front, but the deal was too sweet to pass up. $375 for wheels, rotors AND new tires!

I will post back with my initial impression as well as some future updates in regard to their wear.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 am

Wow! good deal man. :cool:

ctaylor1982

009 Raven

Post by ctaylor1982 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:22 pm

i put on the 009 raven 190/50 tire on my r1 and i like it. i like more stunting and drag though. it hooks up really well when heated just a little. not so in the corners kinda have to force the bike over the roll of the tire. its real wide and flat looks almost like 200... and for the price you cant beat it.
New rider already on the back wheel... Have a 2002 Liquid silver R1... Love to ride... Always on Sat. and sometimes Fri... Stay sober, or atleast while your riding...

mattjmartin

Re: 009 Raven

Post by mattjmartin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:20 pm

ctaylor1982 wrote:i put on the 009 raven 190/50 tire on my r1 and i like it. i like more stunting and drag though. it hooks up really well when heated just a little. not so in the corners kinda have to force the bike over the roll of the tire. its real wide and flat looks almost like 200... and for the price you cant beat it.
You know the 009 is their sport touring tire right? The 005 and stealth are more suited to your riding style.

I think my 009s are a great value for something that spends 90% of their riding time commuting on the freeway. They actually feel pretty good, I just won't push my luck with them. MUCH more enjoyable than the 6 year old bald stones they replaced.

For my next set, I'll be returning to some roadsmarts or pilot roads.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6