Vortex rearsets

Bird
Achievement count: 0

Vortex rearsets

Post by Bird » Fri May 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Well, it didn't take long for me to spend some of that 'extra' money on the Bitch!

What input do you guys have about standard vs GP shift patterns? Also, where should I set my initial peg install? .... closest to stock or back and up?
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:49 pm

I've heard mixed reviews from GP shift. A lot of guys love it, but it depends if you really NEED it. The idea with GP shift is you can tap down to shift up, instead of getting your toe underneath the shifter. The only time you really need that is if you're dragging knee while turning left, and don't have the clearance to get under the shifter.

If you don't have those circumstances, stick with what you know.

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri May 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Firewa11 wrote:...If you don't have those circumstances, stick with what you know.

Come on, Don, you know how I ride! :-) I'm just wondering if having the 'click down' right there on the exit and straights feels OK. I may go with GP just to see what it's like ... I can always switch it back. It's not a matter of clearance so much as moving my left foot to switch from gear to gear. Haven't noticed it on MSRC, but at ECR, it threw me off of my 'perfect' form. :-)

I'm just having fun with this and wonder if anyone has tried it and REALLY got screwed up either with their own gears or moving to another bike.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:00 am

See if you can get ahold of Digi, he switched to GP shift after breaking his ankle

DLSGAP
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider

Post by DLSGAP » Tue May 05, 2009 12:07 pm

I was running GP shift on the 10 for my first track day this year and I didn't like it. it didnt feel natural and since i just make sure I'm in the right gear before the corner, i don't have to shift mid turn. I've been wrong in my pre-trn shifting a few times, but with the power band on the zx its never been a problem or noticeably slowed me down

EDIT:

I'll clarify.. I ran GP shift for the first 2 sessions of my first trackday this year
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue May 05, 2009 8:16 pm

How about if I just want to be able to SAY it's set up for GP shift!?!?! That makes me FASTER, doesn't it??? :-) Isn't that the way that most riders think???
Mike

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Wed May 06, 2009 11:20 am

also remember stickers add horsepower, usually about 2 to 5 hp per sticker, depending on the sticker
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:38 am

So tank grips/pads technically are big stickers right? So I should get an extra 4 to 6 hp when I get mine right? :))
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

DLSGAP

Post by DLSGAP » Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 am

WillK675 wrote:So tank grips/pads technically are big stickers right? So I should get an extra 4 to 6 hp when I get mine right? :))
as big as they are when compared to most other stickers you should be good for atleast +10 at the wheel
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8

Bird

Post by Bird » Sun May 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Got the rearsets while I was out of town. Now, I'll just get them nailed to the Bitch and see what it's like.
Mike

digi

Post by digi » Sun May 10, 2009 2:35 pm

I have the Vortex rear sets on the R1... you will like them. Lots of grip, and lots of adjustments.

As far as the GP shift, it took me a bit, but I got used to it. I'm not in the league to tell you that having it switched will make you so many tenths faster... but it does feel better once you are used to it.

The idea of it was something I was tossing around until I went with the Vortex sets... for me to go with normal shift, I would have had to slightly relocate some wires, and other crap, it just wasn't clean in the normal pattern. Just the way the little shift widget was angled, the GP shift position was totally free and clear of obstructions.

So far, no luck in getting my new ride converted to it... but if there is a will, there is a way. =)
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon May 11, 2009 8:56 pm

OK, I got the shift side installed and was working on doing the brake side. Ran into an issue and I'm not sure if it is ME or the set up? They have an aluminum 'slider' type fitting for the heat shield that doesn't seem to line up with the shield except for where there is a pop rivet. Do I drill it out and put a short bolt in there?

If anyone has set up the Vortex rearsets on an 06 CBR100RR, I'd like to know if they ran into the same issue and what they did. I could remove the heat shield, but then I would have to buy and install some wrap on the pipe (too close to my leg to just leave it naked). Any input on what to do?

I'm going to try to call Vortex tomorrow and see what they suggest, but your input would really help.
Mike

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:54 am

Get on a CBR forum and ask there if anyone has had the same problem (I'm sure you already have)

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue May 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Haven't done that yet, but I will. After looking at it this morning, I realized that the 'slider' fitting is for the plastic heat shield cover, not the heat shield itself. The aluminum heat shield was originally attached to the stock rearset, not an option with the new one. I'll check on the Fireblade site tomorrow, but it looks like the aluminum shield will either have to go or only have one connection point rather than two.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Mike

digi

Post by digi » Wed May 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Mine had a heatshield on the original set. I had to cut it.
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Sun May 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Mike, how do you like the new rearsets?
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Bird

Post by Bird » Sun May 17, 2009 3:03 pm

So far, I really like them. I'll get a better idea how much when we go to MSRC. The fit was OK after all ... the shifter has to be in a much lower configuration when your feet are further back and higher. On the right side, I removed the exhaust shield and went ahead and wrapped the pipe to avoid my leg getting too warm.

When I went out for my ride this afternoon, they felt really natural. Only problem is that when I duck-walk it in a parking lot, the pegs hit the back of my calves. Since they don't give ANY, it's more noticable than before and those suckers are SHARP!
Mike

DLSGAP

Post by DLSGAP » Mon May 18, 2009 8:09 am

ha.. yeah... forgot to mention that.. if you ever duck walk it around without your gear on.. you'll get bruises on your calves.. lol
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8