Winter track bike refresh/repair thread.

mattjmartin
Achievement count: 0

Winter track bike refresh/repair thread.

Post by mattjmartin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:10 pm

So, now that my track riding is complete for the winter (I may try to sneak in one more track day, but I doubt it) and I have my prov nov license to run in the CMRA, I figure it is imperitive to get the bike, as well as support hardware, in top working order before next season.

There are several things on the list that I would like to and will get done before next season starts. This thread is going to be my motivation, as well as reminder, to get these things done.

Things to do include:
- Buy New boots (mine are uncomfortable and have 3 crashes on em.)
- Fabricate a number plate in the fashion of a naked round headlight (think roger from OROR)
- Fabricate/Buy GSXR 5.5" rear wheel hardware. Hopefully getting help from rc30fan
- Buy new pegs with more grip
- Check/Top off fork oil in forks from a slight leak that went away, as well as install slightly stiffer springs
- 520 conversion
- New air filters
- iron out some wiring/cable routing details
- Fabricate new tail section brackets
- Trim down belly pan to run naked, then fabricate mounts. I may also go with a pan meant to be ran on a naked bike, rather than trim mine.
- Paint bodywork (tail and belly).
- Modify my tire changer so it can be hitch mounted and used trackside
- Purchase warmers
- Purchase a generator

My goal is to have it all done by season open, but I will have a little bit of time after season open because I still have to fulfill some cornerworking requirements as part of my prov nov license. I'll probably cornerwork the farther tracks (MSRH and maybe TWS) so I can ride out on the FZ6 and not waste cornerworking on close tracks that I know and would like to ride.

I'll keep this thread up to date, to serve as a checklist for myself.

On a side note: WOW! I didn't realize I had so much to do! I'll actually have a christmas list this year, unlike normal. lol.
Last edited by mattjmartin on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:44 pm

Also remembered that I need to purchase a shock that someone has been holding for me as well as come up with some walls for my trailer to make it easier to toss things on it. Maybe even mount a box on the trailer to keep some things in.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:34 pm

I TOLD you that you were HOOKED! :-) If we can help (short of adopting you and supporting your habit) let us know. Somebody may have parts laying around that they would rather see go to a fellow FWMR member than just going to waste.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:56 am

I updated the original list after doing some thinking. More specifically, I removed those things that were not necessary to me learning how to ride. Trailer restraints, cam swaps, gauges and other "details" are pointless if I can't ride well enough to compete. For now, I'm saving money and focusing on competing.

I did get a free truck tool box that I am going to sand blast, paint and mount on my trailer.

I also picked up a 4' piece of 2" 3/8" thick square tubing to weld to my tire changer to make it portable. The car hitch is the sturdiest platform I could think of.

I am probably only going to be collecting parts until January, at which time the work will begin.

Also, I am going to be helping a friend restore a 67 Ford pick-up for the next six months or so, so that should be fun. I'll be tearing the motor down for him in the next month or so to refresh it! :D
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:46 pm

So, I have managed to get a few things done since my last post. Not much, with school requiring so much time lately, but some.

I am pretty sure I am getting a set of Gaerne GRS boots and a generator for x-mas, so that is two big items off of my list. I am also going to be taking the Fox Shock off of Roger's (OROR) hands after the holidays.

Today, me and my brother got my tire changer setup for the track. It is now hitch mounted. I can change a set in 45 minutes and I don't even have much experience! I still need to fab some Delrin/ABS blocks to attach to the wheel contact points to prevent marring, as well as do something about the tool's tendency to scratch the piss of out rims!

After a bit of paint, she'll be good to go!

Carl, still need those tires mounted/balanced on the cheap? :D
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:07 am

mattjmartin wrote:the wheel contact points to prevent marring, as well as do something about the tool's tendency to scratch the piss of out rims!
I'm fine thanks though. I do appreciate the offer but no rush - riding season is over until it hits 70 again.

btw, piss of out rims?
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Bird

Post by Bird » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:16 pm

Well, that happened TODAY! :-)
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

mattjmartin

Re: Winter track bike refresh/repair thread.

Post by mattjmartin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:44 pm

I know it has been a while and I didn't post much in between, but I am almost done getting it ready. I missed the first race this year due to my novice requirements (I worked turn 9 at TWS sat and sun) and missed the second race at ECR due to my little battery venture (I was there, just not riding... I made some money though). Now I am in a mad sprint to get it ready for TWS next weekend.

In regards to my original check list, all is done, with the exception of the 520 and 5.5" rear wheels conversions, which I am opting out of for now.

I am still trying to get my forks rebuilt again. I found a puddle of oil in my garage SUNDAY from a leaky fork seal, 5 days before my first race. Motorcycle superstore is shipping me some seals and wipers overnight, due here wednesday.

NOTE TO ALL: Don't use all balls fork seals... They are a bearing company, and rightfully so, should stick to bearings. OEM, NOK or LEAK PROOF are the way to go apparently.

Forks are also getting 10w oil this time to compensate for the lack of rebound AND compression adjustment. Hopefully it will bring the damping curves within range of my springs and allow me to get everything where it should be.

I also have about half of the bike left to safety wire, though I am still a little confused on what all has to be wired. After safety wire, I just gotta mount tires on the bike and a chock into the trailer, button the bike back up and head out. My bro is working on it while i'm in school and a friend is helping out at night, so hopefully I make it to TWS this weekend.

Pictures will come upon completion, as I am sure everyone will want to see what a track bike painted with truck bed liner looks like...
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:51 am

Make sure you use a pipe strap around your oil filter and safety wire the strap... The little hole in the nut end of a K&N for example will be rejected, since apparently it can still spin off with safety wire. I'd say that's usually something that trips people up. Check the handbook, and give me a call if you have any questions, I'll PM you my number. I had CycleWerkz prep my race bike with all of the safety wiring and such.

And when you're safety wiring two bolts together (i.e. caliper bolts) make sure you wire them to where they pull each other tight, not the opposite!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks for the support and for offering a toll free advice line. However, I think I am going to pass on racing this weekend, as much as it pains me. After not being able to get a hold of some bushings for my forks, breaking 35146811681346 drill bits trying to safety wire the bike, being ditched several times by people who were supposed to help, having school every day, trying to keep up with the demand for batteries and being EXTREMELY tired... I have lost all motivation to work on the bike.

I'm sick of wrenching... I just want to ride. Kinda makes me wanna go finance a super duke or RC8 and throw some track bodywork on it...
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

U-Turn

Post by U-Turn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:50 am

Priorities.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:54 am

wow, so much going on! If you need help, there are people here on the boards who could probably manage some time to assist you, especially if you plan it on a weekend and offer up some pizza.

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Okay, safety wiring is done. Also got tires mounted, gauges mounted, idiot lights wired, and bodywork painted. All that is left before friday is:

Mount a handle on my generator
Mount up bodywork
Get forks rebuilt (they are apart, clean, organized and waiting for a seal driver since I lost mine).
mount a wheel chock and tie down points in my trailer
Load and organize my trailer.

I'm pretty stoked to have gotten so much done yesterday, even though I am dead from being up until 4am. Pictures will follow completion.

Anyone else going to be out at TWS for any reason this weekend?
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:34 pm

not us, but good luck! You are going to be wearing a yellow shirt this time right?

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:57 am

Yep, yellow shirt, unfortunately.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:14 am

Dont try to podium in a yellow shirt, you might end up like BirdShooter if you do!

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:49 am

Yeah, I won't be at TWS, if it were ECR or Cresson I'd come out to hang out. If you're able to get everything done and do decide to race, be safe. If you're going alone, make a few friends and leave behind some ICE info with them, as well as have someone to help pack up your stuff in case something happens.

As far as the drilling, that's pretty common. Even with a drill press, I think CycleWerkz went through a handful of drillbits getting my bike raceprepped... Best $300 I have ever spent.
ImageImageImage

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice

Post by sckego » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:17 am

$300? Holy crap... I'd think you could source a whole new set of bolts with pre-drilled heads for that price.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 am

That was also the fitting of the race plastics, which included quite a bit of cutting, sanding, drilling, fitting, building of a special platform for the seat so it didn't crack the fiberglass, etc. Justin spent 16 hours working on it and had the necessary tools and experience with doing the work, and also with CMRA rules to make sure it was all taken care of. I would gladly pay that price again.

It wasn't just to drill holes in a few bolts.
ImageImageImage

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:45 pm

I ended up getting everything sorted out I the end and had a great weekend of racing! Write up to follow in the general section.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:58 pm

looking forward to hearing about it

U-Turn

Post by U-Turn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:42 am

One of my forks hiss. Do I need to rebuild them?
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:09 am

KC817 wrote:One of my forks hiss. Do I need to rebuild them?
Wouldn't hurt. Do the seals leak? If not, I'd wait until the seals need replacing too. That could be anything internally, but I have heard a lot of forks make that sound, so I don't think it is abnormal. When the seals go, fix it all.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

U-Turn

Post by U-Turn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:56 am

I'll wait. There's a write up about what I need to do to change the valving and spring rate and viscosity to make the front much better. Time to start collecting parts.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Bit of advice: Replace everything while you are in there. Spend the money and make sure the Seals, Wipers AND bushings are new upon reassembly. If your forks are damper rod forks, you can add in some thicker oil to complement the stiffer springs and make the low speed damping more compliant. However, high speed bumps are going to become very harsh.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6