Chain and sprocket help.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Chain and sprocket help.

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Hey guys and gals. I am not sure but I might need to replace my chain and sprocket soon. My brother told me he was hearing a noise that sounded like the chain. I looked at it but it dont seem bad to me but then I dont want to take a chance so next time we get together if someone with good knowledge of this stuff could take a look I would appriciate it. I have 16000 on the bike and it is the origional stuff. If I do need to change it then I was thinking of changing the gearing but I dont want to do to much of a change maybe 1 tooth in the front and 2 on the rear is what I am told is common. What do yall think? Also what is a good brand or whatever to go with when I do this. I see the chain and sprocket as being kinda like the tires ... something I dont want to go cheap on but it is hard to tell what is good quality stuff. Please let me know what you think.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

GRex
Achievement count: 0

Re: Chain and sprocket help.

Post by GRex » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:27 pm

I purchased mine here:
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/c/16146/1 ... tions.html
Some of the folks get theirs from CycleWerkz as well.
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2010 White/Silver 14RR T-Rex
2005 Pearl White T-Rex (Sold)
IBA# 41997
Image Image

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:35 pm

defintately change the chain and sprockets at the same time.

It could be the chain is done. 18-22k is a pretty normal life, and if you havent taken care of the chain well it could easily go out before that. I think I got 16 out of my last chain because of riding in the rain and not washing and lubing it often enough. We can take a look at it next time you come to an event.

If the chain has red powder dust comming out of it, then the o-rings are shot.

Meat of Snail
Achievement count: 0

Post by Meat of Snail » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:24 am

I stick with the stock size sprockets, no real reason to change, you have pleanty of power as it is. Also, keep in mind, if you do decide to change the gearing, your speedometer will be off (something to keep in mind).

Always change the chain, front sprocket, and rear sprocket all at the same time, and I would defiinitly stay with steel sprockets and the stock chain width.
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Does anyone know about SuperSprox sprockets or Sidewinder sprockets? The sidewinder are expensive but they are supposed to be made of titanium so be light and strong at the same time. The SuperSprox are supposed to be alluminum with steel teeth which make it light and strong as well but are much less expensive. If you have any experience or have even heard good or bad about either of these please let me know as I will probably order the stuff tomorrow.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold