Dirt track riding

Charity Events, out for some dirt riding, car trips, non club weekend trips, etc go here.
Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Re: Dirt track riding

Post by Grinner » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:44 am

Awwwwwwwsome!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:36 am

That is SOOOOO Sweet!
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Shaun have you ever been to any MX tracks here in the area? If so, which ones would be best for a beginner (not that my daughter is ready to go to one)? Have you ever taken the MSF dirt bike course (is it worth registering my 14 year old for it)?

She was out riding her bike again today and we could tell that she just wants to gun it. She is working on her starts and stopping (she isn't exactly smooth yet but she is getting there). So, I was searching in the internet and saw the MSF dirt bike course for teens and was curious if it is really worth it. I emailed them to find out the cost and there are 2 places that it is offered in the area, both of which are about 75 miles from my house (they are the closest ones) but I know that there are mx tracks/trails that are a heck of a lot closer (she is no where near ready for that yet).

I will be taking her cyclegear tomorrow to try on helmets so I know what size her head is in different brands. I will also have her check out the protective gear they have for dirt bikes too. Next time you plan on going out to ride, let me know and as long as we don't have anything planned, we will come and bring her bike :D

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:29 pm

I've been to only one track in this area - Trophy Club. It has a lot of dangerous trails and a big MX track. The track has bypasses for all the jumps so people who dont want to risk 40 ft. triples can stay on the ground.

As far as the MSF Dirt course goes, I've never taught or taken it but I'm sure it would be a good idea. If nothing else I'll bet it will be fun.
In the meantime the vacant lot in Haslet is a good place to practise. Open space, nothing to hit, no people close enough to complain. Do you have bikes to ride with her?

Now that track day season is over I'll be dirt riding on a regular basis. We could all meet up for another dirt riding intro like last year and see who enjoys it.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Courtney is the only one in the house with a dirt bike. So, she will be riding by herself. I did see on the some the mx tracks websites where it says that you have to ride with a buddy. She won't be doing any of those trails unless one of us get a bike.

We will definitely be up to going to Haslet whenever you have time. I think Court would really like that too (some place other than the little field behind our neighborhood). Just let us know when and hopefully we will be able to make it.

Thanks Shaun!!

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 pm

I have a female friend who rides a CRF250 who wants to come along also. Your daughter might prefer talking to a girl about these things.
Its very important though that you not let your daughter ride off on her own. I've done that and regretted it. I'll never ride alone again as a result, and its even more important for a new rider to not be alone.
A 2-stroke can be challenging to ride. The best place to learn is a wide open space with nothing to hit. Haslet is perfect, and we can also use the track we made there to add some interest once she gets confident enough to progress past the basics.
Shaun in McKinney

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:07 pm

Shaun/RC30FAN wrote:I have a female friend who rides a CRF250 who wants to come along also. Your daughter might prefer talking to a girl about these things.
Its very important though that you not let your daughter ride off on her own. I've done that and regretted it. I'll never ride alone again as a result, and its even more important for a new rider to not be alone.
A 2-stroke can be challenging to ride. The best place to learn is a wide open space with nothing to hit. Haslet is perfect, and we can also use the track we made there to add some interest once she gets confident enough to progress past the basics.
I mentioned to her about your female friend and she has interest in possibly talking to her about db. I mentioned to Fixxer that she shouldn't ride by herself and now he is thinking about buying the same bike from Northeast cycles so he can ride with her. If he does, he will do it because we won the lottery.

She has been practicing in the field behind our development and she loves it. She has been practicing stopping and starting (she has issues with starting on a tiny mound. She keeps stalling it on the hill :D).

We did purchase an O'Neil helmet, boots, gloves, socks and goggles for her today. Naturally, she was itching to get out and try them out. She definitely has interest in meeting up with you, your female friend and who ever else goes, to Haslet to ride.

I contacted the MSF DBS today and the guy is suppose to call me tomorrow afternoon with information about the class. Hopefully, I will be able to register her for the course soon. I will keep you updated.
Dad squiding it!!
Dad squiding it!!
006.jpg (84.47 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
008.jpg
008.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 2291 times

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:54 pm

looks like a lot of fun!!!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:54 pm

look at that squid in the first pic!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:56 pm

milesmiles wrote:look at that squid in the first pic!
Don't need gear to sit on a bike :-|

edit: and at least I'm sitting with riding pants with CE armor, and track boots, and my protective a* ball cap!
El Diabro wrote:looks like a lot of fun!!!
We had to cut the day short, that 2 cycle was smokin up the entire area and there was NO wind at all, it just hovered like a light fog. I kinda think it smells good but I didn't want to piss all the neighbors off between the noise and then that "fog" drifting into the housing area.

She's also been rippin up grass here and there, trying to get her to take it easy with the throttle and brakes, you can still see the nice big hole that she first dug, its at least filled in with weeds now but its there.
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am

How about this weekend? My herniated disc is healed enough that I can finally go riding again and this sunday is looking good.
Anyone interested in meeting up at haslet?
Shaun in McKinney

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 pm

I am. Depends if my sister is still visiting.
Revved up like a douche.

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:32 pm

Just take her out there with you...duh.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:35 pm

I don't think my daughter will be in because she is rebuilding her top end. I don't know how long it is going to take her either (I have never done one and I don't think I will be sitting there holding her hand either). If things change, I will let you know!

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Telomere wrote:I don't think my daughter will be in because she is rebuilding her top end.
Oh that's so wrong.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Lets get together when the rebuild is done Telomere. Brandie will be there. Let me know and we can plan ahead. And dont worry - rebuilding a 2-stroke is easy.
Heres the last KX I did:
Shaun in McKinney

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 am

Shaun/RC30FAN wrote:Lets meet up at Haslet at midday. Heres a street level view taken from Onyx looking at Chalkstone:

Heres a google maps aerial shot. The green line is the route we used to take but theres a house partially blocking the trail now. The red line is perfect if the gate is open.

Miles and I always meet at the corner of Chalkstone and Onyx.
Brandi and I will be there around 1pm tomorrow if anyone wants to come out.
Shaun in McKinney

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:01 am

I have work and the kids have school. I think Court is still waiting on something for the topend. She has the piston but beyond what else she needs, I have no clue. I just know , that her bike is still sitting in the garage, not ready to go anywhere yet.

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:10 am

That was a lot of fun. Look at me learning something.
Revved up like a douche.

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 am

Isn't it I had a blast last time I went out there. Good people Good fun.

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:25 am

I noticed on your videos on youtube that they were labled HALLET dirt blah blah blah not HASLET dirt blah blah blah. Shaun you miss the oklahoma track?
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

sick kid + no sleep = weird posts on YouTube.
and yes, I do actually...

Thanks for pointing it out. I fixed the errors and added some more short clips. we had fun even though the rear wheel bearing on my KTM blew out. I only got in half a dozen laps but brandie and shared her CRF and raced around with mahart.
Shaun in McKinney

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 am

I watch the videos. They are looking good out there.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Fixxer, Telomere,

This is where my neice and I will be riding this weekend. At this point it looks like sunday is the best day - after lunch, around 1pm.
The track is marked by the black arrow. Theres a trail from B to the arrow although it grows over quickly when it rains.

This is B from the above picture. Go through the gap, turn right and the trail is on your right, leading south

Hope to see you there.
Shaun in McKinney

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu May 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Can we park on the grass or do we need to park along the road?
Chance favors the prepared mind.