MSRC October 2011

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Re: MSRC October 2011

Post by Grinner » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:50 am

Kinda startin to sound like the girls side of the club is coming about! Hot diggity damn....hot chicks in leather on bikes! Effin droooool!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm

fireblade wrote:Oh hell, dont show her those.
at least she'd be wearing appropriate boots while riding!

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Yup fixed the electrical problem at the track. I drove the bike away, just a blown fuse for the fuel pump :Doofus2:

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 pm

03ninjaman wrote:Yup fixed the electrical problem at the track. I drove the bike away, just a blown fuse for the fuel pump :Doofus2:
:SideSplittingLaughter:
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:12 pm

wow, glad it was just a fuse, and not the pump!

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Rhino wrote:Ha, here's Miles chasing me chasing DarcShadow:

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1410241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I really like my silver tape. :-D
Rhino wrote:Ok, I *really* need to work on my flexibility more. No reason my knee shouldn't be down here.

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1404164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, put your knee out just a little and it would of touched. Although you need to move you whole body off more and straighten the bike up, you're pretty close to the max lean angle right there. And even if you're not all that flexable, you can still rather easily move your body, if your knee goes out great, if not, no big deal, getting the body over and down is more critical.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:32 pm

DarcShadow wrote:Yeah, put your knee out just a little and it would of touched. Although you need to move you whole body off more and straighten the bike up, you're pretty close to the max lean angle right there. And even if you're not all that flexable, you can still rather easily move your body, if your knee goes out great, if not, no big deal, getting the body over and down is more critical.
Yep, my toe slider got scuffed a couple times. That's just about max lean for my current setup since my pegs are hard-mounted. If I drag one of those I can lift the bike. I need to adjust them upward--right now they're as low as they can get.

I had some times when I was really getting off the bike a lot more. There's one pic I found earlier that's of somebody else, but I'm in the background and you can see my head is waaay off the bike. Downside is I wasn't crouched over the tank so it looks a little funny.

Next track day I'll be focusing more on keeping my head down and pushing the bike upright underneath me. Right now my body position feels more like I'm scooting sideways on the seat then leaning my upper body out. I think if I focus instead on floating my butt and pushing the bike more upright under me it'll come a little more naturally. I do it all the time on my Versys that way, I don't know why it didn't click to do that on the ZX.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sunday pics. Tony helped me out a lot with body position and keeping my head down, and I spent some time actually practicing that on the track. Not sure if Blair caught me doing it or not, but I certainly hope so.

Edit: Ask and ye shall receive--Sunday L1 is up.

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... llery=6872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit 2: Hmm, well my knee is still way up, but the zipper of my suit is outside the plastics of the bike. That's gotta be worth something. :D

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1413244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Rhino, you are a Ninja not a Versys....lay down on the bike (like she is the love of your life) and while you are on top of her...sweet talk her!!!! Are you touring the track? :D

I will be posting my thoughts about the weekend soon. I haven't had enough time to sit and type (I am about to go run out for some errands yet again).
Grinner wrote:Kinda startin to sound like the girls side of the club is coming about! Hot diggity damn....hot chicks in leather on bikes! Effin droooool!
:D
Blizz started it...I blame her!!! :D

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:58 pm

hey fixxer, on your video, you can carry a lot more speed thru ricochet, and especially thru horseshoe-boot hill-tombstone corner(s).....1:36 and all of your lines were awesome......you're a beast out there!

.....on that note, I could swear I'm leaning my uppper body more, but man pics don't lie! Next track day if I'm not two up, I know what I'm working on!!!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Telomere wrote:Rhino, you are a Ninja not a Versys
BS, I'm a Versatile System.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:38 pm

El Diabro wrote:hey fixxer, on your video, you can carry a lot more speed thru ricochet, and especially thru horseshoe-boot hill-tombstone corner(s).....1:36 and all of your lines were awesome......you're a beast out there!

.....on that note, I could swear I'm leaning my uppper body more, but man pics don't lie! Next track day if I'm not two up, I know what I'm working on!!!
Yea ricochet gives me trouble, I'm doing a lot better this time around then last, my right handers are worlds better than last time.

It means only one thing, gotta go back and do it better.

Telomere:

Now this pic is straight up slop, this is how you don't do it

Head is down, good
Upper body not off far enough BAD
Inside elbow not forward, BAD
Ass too far out, further out then my upper body BAD
Its slop, I'm pissed, I got lazy with it and got sloppy, must go back again and fix this

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1413758

This one of me is better, so I guess I wasn't sloppin the entire time

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1413775

Couples shot:

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1412455
K1600

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Awwwww.....that's so cute :)

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:09 pm

El Diabro wrote:
Damn right, she shoots, cave dives, goes to the track, and cooks too, thats hard to beat.
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:23 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
El Diabro wrote:
Damn right, she shoots, cave dives, goes to the track, and cooks too, thats hard to beat.
Downside, she demands your cojones. :SideSplittingLaughter:

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm

I guess it is my turn.

I was excited about doing my first track day since Blizz and I first started talking about it. I was never nervous beforehand. The beginning of this week, I was extremely excited (ask Blizz...I was texting her). A few days before, the excitement was completely gone. I was neither excited or nervous and I blame that on being preoccupied with other things (my baby sister had defended her dissertation and now has her PhD in microbiology, my mom was on her way here and we had to tear down the arcade and get it moved...not to mention taping up my bike). Saturday morning, I was too tired to care but on the way down to the track, Fixxer kept giving me pointers and telling me if this happens do this. So, the more he told me, the more nervous I got (that was the only time I was nervous). Of course, he asks me "how are you feeling?". WHAT DO YOU THINK????

We get there, find everyone and I go register. I thought I was going to have to duke it out with the girl in charge of registration because she didn't believe me when I said I registered for Saturday. She didn't look far enough down the list to find my name!!! Randy was next to her and pointed it out to her. Registration done, tech check done. All that was left was track ride, riders meeting and round robin. NO BIG DEAL!!

Round Robin was not as bad as Fixxer made it out to be (Sunday's round robin was a cluster phuc compared to how smooth it went on Saturday). First session out, I was a banana but RC30Fan was unable to get to me that session so I was first in line on the 3rd session, which was ok because I was still warming up. I was taking my time out there and I followed Blizz many times around the track. She did awesome. She hit every line every time until Shaun got behind her. Performance anxiety :SideSplittingLaughter:

Shaun said I looked great out there with body position and hitting my lines. Fixxer told me I passed a few people out there too. I don't recall passing anyone but okay, if you say so. The only mess ups I had on Saturday was when I drug peg and it scared the bejesus out of me (I was on my way through horseshoe). I stood the bike up and went to check out the fence between horseshoe and boothill. That threw me off bad. I am out in the grass thinking which brake do I use, I know I only use one for the grass but which one. Since I couldn't remember, I managed to slow down and get back on the track (El Diabro saw it and it happened after DD waved at me as we were encroaching on little bend...he thought he caused it. No, you had nothing to do with my peg touching the track) :-D .

The next session out, Shaun wanted Blizz to follow me to see my body position. Good thing she didn't follow me because she would have went to check out the daisies too. Good job Blizz!!! I know you were not target fixating on me :D I was going to get back on the track so I sped up (that is right I was prolly doing about 40-50 down the grass to get back on) when I just said nope, I am done. I ran off because I am tired. My concentration wasn't there so I threw in the towel. That ended my Saturday.

You know what happens when you pass a Telomere on the inside of a turn in the first session after round robin? You get your a$$ called out!!! There were a lot of a$$holes on the track Sunday in L1 or at least they were just a$$holes to me. I don't play with that chit. If that douche would have caused me to wreck, he would have not only had to fix my bike and his, but he would also have to fix his face and some body parts and Fixxer would be bailing me out of jail on assault charges. I am out there to learn and have fun not get run off the track and wreck!!!

Anyways, Sunday morning before lunch, I took it completely easy. I was trying to be like Blizz on Saturday. I was trying to work more on my lines and body position by going slower. I was also trying to find markers along the track so I knew when to turn (into little bend and buzzards neck) without looking for that dang X!! The other corners, I almost had down. Kevin was my instructor and after he followed me around the track, he had asked me how many track days I have done (I told him that was my 2nd with the day before being my 1st) and then he asked how long I have been riding (1 year). He said if he didn't know that that he would have sworn that I have done at least 10 track days. Really? Did I look that good? This isn't rocket science and to me, it is easy to do but I didn't think I was that good. Everyone seems to be telling me different. I guess that is a good thing (back when I was talking about doing my first track day, I was worried I wasn't ready for the track yet).

I slowly picked up speed with the rest of the sessions on Sunday. I was not fatigued at all Sunday afternoon and I felt like I could have ran more sessions (but it was time to go). I think my best session on Sunday, was my last session. I felt like I was hitting the corners a little better and hitting them a little faster too (I was trying to use the brake while going through the corner instead of braking before the corner).

I am glad that I did 2 track days back to back. It allowed me to learn the track a little and then go home, think about it and get back out there the next day to either try something different with lines that were giving me trouble or try to work on other things instead of waiting for the next track day. It was definitely beneficial to do 2 days on top of each other. BTW, I am not sore or tired. I take that back. My triceps are sore and I blame that on fatigue because I was holding my upper body up with my arms when I was getting tired on Saturday. Other than that, I am ready to go again.

I did miss having Blizz on the track on Sunday. It felt weird without her there. I guess because I followed her a lot on Saturday that I felt she should have been there on Sunday for me to follow too.

DD, Blizz and Rhino all kicked a$$. Sorry, I saw Striple once when he passed me and I could never find miles. I can say, DD, you kicked major cajones going through rattlesnake behind Shaun!!!

Overall, THAT KICKED ASS!!! I AM READY FOR ANOTHER and ANOTHER and ANOTHER......

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Oh, so speaking of Rattlesnake, I couldn't believe how different it felt.

My first time on the 1.7 it was like "oh crap, Rattlesnake". This past weekend though, it was no big deal. I was just analyzing it like any other turn. I still don't know a quick line through it, but it didn't feel difficult or scary in any way.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks guys!! Y'all are saying how good I look out there and all. I honestly was afraid that I would be the person holding up the conga line or all over the place (like some of the other people out there). I do know that I do still need work on my lines AND body position. I was not off far enough but I don't know if that is because the leathers and boots were still very stiff since they were never worn before or just me (could be all the above). The other things I need work on is my foot position. It didn't feel right and no matter how I adjusted it, it never felt any better. I gave up on trying to fix it. I did have the balls of my feet on the peg but it didn't feel right (I always ride with my feet that way...on the street in my moto boots). :HeadScratch: So, I don't know what I was doing wrong. I have time to work on it and fix it. If I am able to ride Saturday, I will be gearing up in my leathers and boots to get used to riding in them AND to wear them in a little. :D

BTW, it will be a while before I move up to a 600 (the instructor I had on Sunday told Fixxer that I should move up to one). Not yet. I am not ready and my little Ninjette has not taught all that I need to know yet. :)

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:13 pm

K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Heres an attempt to distribute video without the awful YouTube compression. May or may not be successful

Video starts out with Blizz and Hauck
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Heres another method - this is Miles later in the day. HD video fancyness. Much bigger file as a result.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40646366/miles%20hd.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More to come.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:54 pm

The first one I can actually watch at work.... GREAT!

Telomere thanks.... It really means alot to me for you to say that expecially after riding behind you and seeing your lines.

I picked up an extra 8 hours of overtime at work tonight and have been going through the picutres. Almost through them all. Telomere let me tell you ... you should have had your knee dragging on Saturday. You where low enough and body position was good all you needed was a little more extension on the leg and bam you would have been there! The pictures look great.

Diabro.... you 2 man I was looking at some of those pictures and 2 up you where super low. Your sis looked like she was having a blast and even put her hand out in a couple of pictures .... got about a foot or less from touching the ground with her fingures.

Dave... it seems to all be there for you man. Your lines look good in the pictures and you seem to be low enough. I am no expert but if you could just get a little more off the bike then it looks like you would be able to shave a little off your lap time. Seriously by the pictures you look great out there.

Miles.... it seems you where doing very well from the first pictures and progressed well from there.

Stripple .... your just a beast ... I got nothing for ya!

Blizz... your lines look good in the pictures ... riding behind you also. I cant see anything that you havent been told by people much more qualified to say than me. But in my eyes you looked great out there.

I am sure I missed someone but my eyes where hard to keep in focus.... to many hours!
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 am

DemonDuck wrote:Dave... it seems to all be there for you man. Your lines look good in the pictures and you seem to be low enough. I am no expert but if you could just get a little more off the bike then it looks like you would be able to shave a little off your lap time. Seriously by the pictures you look great out there.
Yeah, I think I'm done mentally processing the weekend.

The two major things I need to improve:

1. Body position
2. Going for it

By going for it, I mean that I need to push my corner entry speeds up. I'm getting really strong drives OUT of corners, but not so much going IN to them. I still have some apprehension that if I take a corner too hot I'm going to end up running off. That makes me mentally lock up when I'm trying to push a little faster and I end up blowing my line through the corner. What I need to work on is trusting that if I stay on the line I can push my entry speed up slowly and I'll still make the corner. Body position is the thing that's going to help there, because it will give me a lean angle reserve to work with.

I feel like all the pieces are coming together, finally. Barber and MSRC both felt good. I felt like I was always in control of the bike and had the mental bandwidth to think my way around the track instead of being reactive. Now I just need to work on getting off the bike so I have some lean to work with, and trusting the bike completely to get me around corners at higher speeds.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:27 am

DemonDuck wrote:I still have some apprehension that if I take a corner too hot I'm going to end up running off. That makes me mentally lock up when I'm trying to push a little faster and I end up blowing my line through the corner. What I need to work on is trusting that if I stay on the line I can push my entry speed up slowly and I'll still make the corner. Body position is the thing that's going to help there, because it will give me a lean angle reserve to work with.
I'm that way with big bend. I know I should be able to go into it so much faster then I am. The turn is so wide, and opens up, you can fly through it I know, I just can't get over the mental block to allow me to.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:39 am

Shaun/RC30FAN wrote:Heres an attempt to distribute video without the awful YouTube compression. May or may not be successful

Video starts out with Blizz and Hauck
I couldn't get this one to play..maybe it's just at work, but all I get is the slideshow

***edit*** nevermind, it just took a while to load up :)

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:55 am

Telomere wrote:Thanks guys!! Y'all are saying how good I look out there and all. I honestly was afraid that I would be the person holding up the conga line or all over the place (like some of the other people out there). I do know that I do still need work on my lines AND body position. I was not off far enough but I don't know if that is because the leathers and boots were still very stiff since they were never worn before or just me (could be all the above). The other things I need work on is my foot position. It didn't feel right and no matter how I adjusted it, it never felt any better. I gave up on trying to fix it. I did have the balls of my feet on the peg but it didn't feel right (I always ride with my feet that way...on the street in my moto boots). :HeadScratch: So, I don't know what I was doing wrong. I have time to work on it and fix it. If I am able to ride Saturday, I will be gearing up in my leathers and boots to get used to riding in them AND to wear them in a little. :D

BTW, it will be a while before I move up to a 600 (the instructor I had on Sunday told Fixxer that I should move up to one). Not yet. I am not ready and my little Ninjette has not taught all that I need to know yet. :)
You did look great out there! Like I mentioned I followed you around quite a bit and 'you' were the one who reinterated for me the fact that the line for entry into rattlesnake starts in the middle! Following you remind me very early on, and it stuck in my head, and trust me, a lot....and I mean a lot of people out there were not on that line all damn day long...but I was thanks to you :)

My other inspiration....Rhino mentioning his reference point in Rattlesnake! That worked so well for me and I hadn't really paid much attention to it before, but it was the magic elixr that I needed! So yep Rhino, I agree with you, rattlesnake used to scare the crap out of me, but after hearing you in class, it made it easy brezzy.....well about as easy brezzy as rattlesnake could be :)

And DD, dude, seeing you getting your knee all the way down on that beast of a bike lets me that know that once I become as good as you, I'll be able to do the same thing :)