K1600

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 36

Re: MSRC October 2011

Post by Dragonfly » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:22 pm

That's pretty good, 1:36:xx or there abouts. What session was that? looked like you were alone on the track?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 am

Very nice man!!!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:52 am

Glad everyone had a great time, and special congrats to all of the newbs!

Fixxer, how was L2?
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:31 am

You can see in the left side of the video toward the end a train of bikes I was slowly creeping up on, I went out like 5 minutes late so I entered the track ahead of the packs and from what I can tell just kept pace or was even gaining a little on the trains. I did that a few times and "had the track to myself" which is when my lines are best.

Having other bikes in front of me with squirly lines screws up my lines, I tried to find someone that was just slightly slower than me with good lines and just pace them but I never found it, I instead found a guy that was about the same speed as me with bad lines, which resulted in me being on the brakes a lot, but I learned by watching him.

First session out after round robin I was worried, cause, well you know what if I suck. Track was still just a little slick but not bad, everyone was bitching about sliding around but the Q2's didn't let me down, I had very minor sliding in two turns but it wasn't the like quick jerky slide is was the smooth through the turn slip, felt kinda cool actually.

First lap out I passed like 4 people, came back amped up pretty high, thats the other reason I don't like passing, if I don't pass or deal with bunch ups I can go all day, soon as I make a pass I get an adreneline spike and I'm yelling and stuff, wears me out.

For the rest of the day I continued to pass people with not many passes on me at all, thats not what I was expecting. Then the second session after lunch the game changed, people were getting real close to me etc, I have some video of it, things were getting crazy, if I left a bike length in front of me people behind me were going for that spot, so I got passed a lot on that session. The rest of the day was fine, it was just that one session I thought I was out there with people trying to race. None of it bothered me because its not like they took that spot then slammed on the brakes, we were all running pretty fast and they stayed in the gas so it wasn't the same as a level 1 stuffing, but still, they could have it there was no prize money for me at the end. Next time I see that happening I'm gonna pit out and try to find a gap to jump into.

I have some rear facing video where I'm all over the place and on and off the brakes and getting passed a lot and I was thinking wtf was up with that session, then I realized that was the one where people were just full bore 110% aggresive, we were running 4 bikes wide drag racing down the strates and out braking eachother with people stuffing bad to get the pass, I was in a couple of those "packs" thinking it was going to be a one off, then they kept doing it so I backed off, I was like all 4 of them can have it, its just messing up my line/drives/etc I'm not getting anything out of it. Again this is just that one session the rest of the day was not like this at all.

I dropped down to level 1 to follow Telomere with a chase cam, then finished out the day at level2.

I have no idea if 1:36 is good, I don't know what good times are, Ty has the record at 1:12, there were some race times where the last guy's accross the line had a time of like 1:38 so 1:36 can't be that bad

Instructor said my body posistion was fine, but sometimes something didn't feel right, my body posistion has actually gotten worse :-o

I looked and I hang my left ass about 2" too far off the seat, explains why I kept picking up my leg but still had puck down, and I'm not moving my upper body enough, my right turns look better than my left turns now, one cheek off, head down. I think I just said to myself ah I have the lefts down so I quit concentrating on them and they got sloppy where as I was "trying" to get better body posistion in the rights. Can't let myself get sloppy I have to clean that up, pisses me off actualy.

Big shout out to Rich for showing me a better way to enter rattle snake.

Things I improved on this time:
Right hand turns
Not coasting in, actually shifting to 3rd in places to continue the drive and get higher speed exists beyond 2nd gear rev limit, they taught this in the classroom to short shift on certain parts of the track and you come out the otherside faster, tried it, it works, for me anyway.
Entry into rattle snake (thanks rich)
Lines in general cleaned up since lastime, but as always, needs to be better

Things I got worse at:
Body posistion got sloppy, I got lazy with it.

Future work:
Clean up that sloppy body, I disappointed myself with that slop, mad actually, not acceptable
Tighten the lines, they were not bad but could be tightend up
Some of the turns I start to drift to the inside while I'm looking for the exit, need to stop that
Braking too early still, but what I did this time was a big improvment over what I did before so this will come with time

All in all, my level 2 experience is what I was after, I'm not the slowest guy out there like I expected to be, and I actually feel more comfortable passing in level 2. In level 2 there is less of the park it in the corner then full throttle on the straits going on, a lot of the guys were smoother so it was actually easier to catch them on a drive out of a turn where the speeds were high enough to keep me in my 2nd gear power band. They were more predictable too, didn't have to worry as much about someone doing 40 mph suddenly just flying to the oustide of the track.

I'll get more video up as I get it edited.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:20 am

Pics are up!!! http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1410245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:48 am

The Busa killer and dirt bike (story to follow)
1.JPG
1.JPG (138.55 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (133.48 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (138.73 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (116.23 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
K1600

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:52 am

DemonDuck wrote:Next time I will get my suspension done if I have the same bike at that time.
getting roger to do your suspension is totally worth it! Even when I had mine done, it was almost dialed in perfectly before and that was because the guy I purchased her from was close to my size, but maybe a tad bigger...roger made a few minute changes but I could tell a difference, so it's totally totally worth it! I recommend it to anyone because it's worth the 30-40 bucks it cost...plus you get to go out and play around with it and come back in and give him and update and he'll do the tweaks all day long for you...you can't beat that in my book!

How was sunday for everyone?
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 am

Ha, here's Miles chasing me chasing DarcShadow:

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1410241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok, I *really* need to work on my flexibility more. No reason my knee shouldn't be down here.

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1404164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wave to the camera when you get a chance. :D

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1406584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Telomere making me look bad:

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1407998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Rhino on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:07 am

Fixxer, good write-up. Glad to hear that you were comfortable in L2, I expected you would be! Also, your observation about things getting 'closer' together with other bikes is pretty accurate, as well as less worry about what other bikes are doing... people tend to hold their lines and not do unexpected things (like get right in front of you and slam on the brakes).

As far as your time, 1:36 is pretty good, especially for your first time in L2. There are plenty of folks that race at your skill level. My fastest race time around Cresson was CW configuration at 1:31, but it was my first race weekend (read don't crash, prov nov), and it was cold. My fastest unofficial practice lap around Cresson CCW was 1:23. I have no idea what I'm running now. I guess next track day I should get a timer and figure it out.

With all that said, the only place your track time counts is when you're racing. It doesn't hurt to know what times you're running, but you shouldn't ever be racing the clock at a track day. You should be improving, and improving doesn't always mean faster times. I honestly didn't get a lap timer / transponder until I started racing. I know myself well enough that I personally would have started racing the clock, and doing stupid stuff to try and improve my times... But that's just me.
ImageImageImage

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 am

El Diabro wrote:getting roger to do your suspension is totally worth it!
:plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :icon_whs0be: :plus1: :plus1:
ImageImageImage

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:12 am

Rhino wrote:Ha, here's Shaun chasing Miles chasing me chasing DarcShadow:

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1410241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fantastic day.
Telomere - I would never have guessed this was your first track day. You scored 9.9 on style, line and smoothness.

Congrats to the winners of Smoothest Rider. I'll have some video from Saturday available shortly.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 am

Firewa11 wrote:Fixxer, good write-up. Glad to hear that you were comfortable in L2, I expected you would be! Also, your observation about things getting 'closer' together with other bikes is pretty accurate, as well as less worry about what other bikes are doing... people tend to hold their lines and not do unexpected things (like get right in front of you and slam on the brakes).

As far as your time, 1:36 is pretty good, especially for your first time in L2. There are plenty of folks that race at your skill level. My fastest race time around Cresson was CW configuration at 1:31, but it was my first race weekend (read don't crash, prov nov), and it was cold. My fastest unofficial practice lap around Cresson CCW was 1:23. I have no idea what I'm running now. I guess next track day I should get a timer and figure it out.

With all that said, the only place your track time counts is when you're racing. It doesn't hurt to know what times you're running, but you shouldn't ever be racing the clock at a track day. You should be improving, and improving doesn't always mean faster times. I honestly didn't get a lap timer / transponder until I started racing. I know myself well enough that I personally would have started racing the clock, and doing stupid stuff to try and improve my times... But that's just me.
I just got the time from the video, I don't pay for the track timer, I just timed it from the video because I was curious. I don't want to start chasing a time then eat it.

I'd like to go out there when there is a bunch of us running, Sunday there were only 3 of us out there on level 2.

That reminds me, be sure to ask Rich if he got his electrical problem fixed when you see him.
K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:26 am

Rhino wrote:Ha, here's Miles chasing me chasing DarcShadow:

Ok, I *really* need to work on my flexibility more. No reason my knee shouldn't be down here.

http://www.hart-photography.com/photoca ... ge=1404164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm nervous to see my pics from sunday, they are gonna be bad, I got real lazy with my upper body.

Only one thing I can do about it, sign up for another day and redeem myself.
K1600

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:54 am

Fix....your position looked spot on a few of the times i tried to watch you on the back side. You were lookin really good out there!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 am

After some thought i remember somewhat following y'all and i thought that was when i screwed up and was in lvl 2! lol So now i'm pretty sure he said i needed to go to lvl 2, not "it's lvl 2's turn" hahaha
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 am

Melinda has the bug now, she'll probably have a 250 in a couple weeks.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:08 am

fireblade wrote:Melinda has the bug now, she'll probably have a 250 in a couple weeks.
If she can afford a 250, she can afford BOOTS. :D

fireblade

Post by fireblade » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:16 am

She's always been able to afford the boots but she couldnt find ones that are cute. or some shit like that.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 am

fireblade wrote:She's always been able to afford the boots but she couldnt find ones that are cute. or some shit like that.
Ah yes, I remember these types of conversations
K1600

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 am

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 am

Looks like pole boots
K1600

fireblade

Post by fireblade » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 am

Oh hell, dont show her those.
Random stuff I say:

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 am

hahahahaha....yeah, I'd love to see those boots on the track!

So, Nov 5th trackday, then Nov 6, Car/bike ride?

yeah, Bun is all about getting a 250 now....so maybe by '12 she'll have one. Being a college student and all, and I'll help her out as much (which is actually little) as I can.

Pink, thanks again for the leathers and boots and let me know when a good time to come out there and drop them back off would be. I wiped them down, hung them up, and sanitized as best as I could :) Luckily she doesn't sweat nearly as much as I do!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:44 am

That's awesome! I really want to get Steph on a 250 too, soon, gotta get debt whittled down dammit. If I didn't have to buy a new roof with my bonus she'd have one for sure in December.
ImageImageImage