Rider Achievements.

Photo challenges, scavenger hunts, forum games, etc.
fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Rider Achievements.

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:26 am

Crap, I hit edit post instead of new post, anyway this is what I meant:

I'll look around for some modules or web parts that are really built for tracking these things.

Ok how about this, a mix

It is possible to link from your signature, directly to your post in a thread, so your signature can link directly to your "post" in the achievements thread, easy enough.

You can edit your own post over and over to track your progress, you can link in the smaller icons for everyone you acheive or just link in the bigger one it doesn't matter.

At the bottom of the main page I can run a summary from time to time manually, its not like there are 200 of us.

The bitch of it is, in my mind I could architect this on a napkin in 10 mintutes, simple requirements, php site with a database, but I'm not a coder

I'll post up an example of what I mean in a bit.
K1600

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 am

OMG I love the icons! :-)

Althought the club icons kinda look like a penis. Or an ice cream cone.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:43 am

Firewa11 wrote:OMG I love the icons! :-)

I can always change it later or turn the source adobe files over to a real artist, I'm just faking it.

I tried to create a URL link in my signature but it appears the board is set not to allow that, so here is a sample link that could appear in a signature:

FixxerVI6's Achievements
K1600

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 am

That would be a really massive, annoying signature for everyone on the boards to have a list of 20-30 of them ;-)

But I think you're doing good as far as the icons man, don't stop! I can't wait to see what you come up with for Miles' icon (Drag Queen)...
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 am

Firewa11 wrote:That would be a really massive, annoying signature for everyone on the boards to have a list of 20-30 of them ;-)

But I think you're doing good as far as the icons man, don't stop! I can't wait to see what you come up with for Miles' icon (Drag Queen)...
Thats why you put just the link in like the post above, and just link to your tracking post, so your signature stays small and you don't pollute the other threads with graphics

edit: I think I didn't explain it right, I didn't mean to put a link in to take you to a page that shows an example signature, the link itself is the example signature that takes you to the page.

So may signature would be two lines of text, my classic GSXR text then a link below that, that takes me over to the other page.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:59 am

drag queen :HeadScratch: is that like going down the drag strip at least five times? 10 or more would be drag king and then 20 or more would be...? or are you just calling me a cross dressing whore?
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:09 am

Take your pick! :-) :-) :-)
ImageImageImage

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:37 am

milesmiles wrote:drag queen :HeadScratch: is that like going down the drag strip at least five times? 10 or more would be drag king and then 20 or more would be...? or are you just calling me a cross dressing whore?
Um....yes. :SideSplittingLaughter:

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm with Firewa11 the club one, doesn't look right. Maybe change that one to a baseball bat, or something.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 pm

We can do the post thing to start with and if this really does take off, and hang around I'll consider building a database/webpage. I'm afraid though this is one of those neat ideas, fun to talk about and plan, but once implemented people will get bored with it. I could be wrong, and with as much work as you've already put into it, I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 pm

build it and they will come
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:17 pm

All I can say is that it would be better to build a seperate webpage or website. Once this gets started, it will slowly start taking off. Other riders around the world are gonna want to get in on it and you could use advetising dollars to support it.
I really like the whole achievements thing and can say there are gonna be thousands other riders out there that are gonna want to get in on it. Especially when other forums used by members here or even visitors get wind of it.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 pm

WillK675 wrote:

I'm with Firewa11 the club one, doesn't look right. Maybe change that one to a baseball bat, or something.
I was tying to stay with very bandwith friendly images therefore very simple icons, I can "open it up" a big and go back and fancy them up some, I've already done that with the track one, the original sized image I used for that one s actually quite detailed.

I'll go back and fancy the previous ones up a bit
DarcShadow wrote:We can do the post thing to start with and if this really does take off, and hang around I'll consider building a database/webpage. I'm afraid though this is one of those neat ideas, fun to talk about and plan, but once implemented people will get bored with it. I could be wrong, and with as much work as you've already put into it, I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.
Fine by me, if it takes off, cool, if not, then doing this method has little to no impact to the site since its just another forum thread. Did you open up the signatures to allow fur [URL] code?
Grinner wrote:All I can say is that it would be better to build a seperate webpage or website. Once this gets started, it will slowly start taking off. Other riders around the world are gonna want to get in on it and you could use advetising dollars to support it.
I really like the whole achievements thing and can say there are gonna be thousands other riders out there that are gonna want to get in on it. Especially when other forums used by members here or even visitors get wind of it.
:D
I was looking for "providers" that I could set up an account with, build it, then you just use links, you could get all fancy with no impact to this web site. I have my own site I could easily build this on as it's .net/db I could put it together quick, but I pay out the nose for it, to enable it for everyone to use would cost thousands of dollars a month so its beyond not practical.

Right now the images are on photobucket so if people start swiping them there would be no impact to this site, but if it did grow in popularity that is for sure a factor consider.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:02 pm

We've got unlimited storage and bandwidth usage so that's not a concern. And I would assume the servers we're on can handle much heavier traffice then what we've been giving them. If you want a fixxer.fwmr.net domain I can set it up for you and you can play around with stuff there.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:03 pm

DarcShadow wrote:We've got unlimited storage and bandwidth usage so that's not a concern. And I would assume the servers we're on can handle much heavier traffice then what we've been giving them. If you want a fixxer.fwmr.net domain I can set it up for you and you can play around with stuff there.
Something like that would work better for storing the images than photobucket. I just threw them on photobucket to get someting to test the waters, as long as there is interest I'll continue to work on this stuff.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 pm

grinner makes a great point, i know every motorcycle site would want part of this. Good way to bring in money for the club????
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:07 pm

milesmiles wrote:grinner makes a great point, i know every motorcycle site would want part of this. Good way to bring in money for the club????
Baby steps, if we can get something solid to take off with fwmr that will be the first step, if that was solid I assume it could easily be its own subdomain/application aka achievements.fwmr.net etc.

The problem with having other clubs get in on it, you need to be prepared for that, becomes a much larger scope project, something to keep in mind, but for now lets stick with KISS and see how FWMR reacts, as DS said, this could easily fizzle.

Also, if this did grow to a pie in the sky revenue source it would need to be approached very carefully behind closed doors among the officers first, I've seen jump in revenue rip these types of sites apart due to the rifts that can be generated.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:10 pm

right right right, i'm just thinking of a club ninja 250, when someone is out of a bike :)
The world needs Miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:27 pm

milesmiles wrote:right right right, i'm just thinking of a club ninja 250, when someone is out of a bike :)
Do you plan on being out a bike soon or trying to get the club to buy you a 250? :-D

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:34 pm

nah just thinking of Don :SideSplittingLaughter:
The world needs Miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:36 pm

milesmiles wrote:nah just thinking of Don :SideSplittingLaughter:
:SideSplittingLaughter: Oh, ok but I think he might be buying Simon a bike before himself :D

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Telomere wrote:
milesmiles wrote:nah just thinking of Don :SideSplittingLaughter:
:SideSplittingLaughter: Oh, ok but I think he might be buying Simon a bike before himself :D
While that may be true, the little plastic toddler toy one doesn't count :-) I *will* be buying a bike come mid-March 2013, if not sooner. That's when some options cash in and I can pay cash :-) w00t!
ImageImageImage

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:09 pm

So, if you do a two-up with Steph before she has Simon, does that count as a bobsled acheivement? :D

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm

OMG, great call! Although I'd be scared at this point to put her on the bike...
ImageImageImage

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Firewa11 wrote:OMG, great call! Although I'd be scared at this point to put her on the bike...
I am sure Steph will be just fine riding a bike. Nothing to be scared of. :)