Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: March ECR Roll Call

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 am

Did a session like that with the Keith Code school. 3rd gear (or was it second), no brake for the entire session. Don't remember exactly what it was supose to teach us, but it was interesting. I did have to hit the brake slightly once I remember, picked up a bit too much speed down one of the straights.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 am

It seems like going straight to no-brake would be a recipe for getting scared, freezing up, and running off the track.

If I were you, I'd work on slowly raising my corner entry speeds until you get to the point that you're not using the brakes much.

Ride the 1.7 again. As you get more experience with the track, you'll get more comfortable with making small tweaks at a time to each corner. Just pick a corner and work on going into it a little faster each time. That keeps you from spending all $10 of your concentration on going "oh shit oh shit oh shit".

Start with an easy corner like Ricochet, where it's impossible for your 250 to take it too fast. You should be WFO going through that entire corner, so work up to that. When you're comfortable with cornering faster there, work on cornering faster on other turns, like Horseshoe/Boot Hill/Tombstone, another one you can take WFO. Then work on trickier corners like Little Bend and Wagon Wheel, where you have to be a little braver to carry speed (Little Bend because of the decreasing radius, Wagon Wheel because it's off-camber and has the Pit of Death at the drift-out point near the flag stand).

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:25 am

Na, cause you don't get up as much speed because you know you can't slow down. It acually give you more time to be aware of the situation and gives you less things to think about. Not braking or shifting gears allows you to focus on lines and the track. You're overall speed is rather slow, and it's something I'd suggest doing the first or second session out, but after that move on to the next stage.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 am

Riding with no brakes is a great way to learn! With that being said this doesn't mean you don't hit your brakes if going to fast. This article explains it

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flash ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:10 am

milesmiles wrote:Riding with no brakes is a great way to learn! With that being said this doesn't mean you don't hit your brakes if going to fast. This article explains it

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flash ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did anyone else see MAHart's smiley face on that page?
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 am

hmmm must have changed it, i don't see him anymore
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 am

I will be working on my entry speed and braking and such but I don't know the strategy yet. I have this same issue while on the street. I slam on my brakes before entering and then go "well shit, I could have entered going a hell of a lot faster". My brain tells me I can't go that fast because I would wreck (might have something to do with me already wrecking...I don't know) but I think if I can get over that then I might be a little bit faster both on the track and on the street. It is a complete mental block with me and I need to work on getting over that somehow. Everyone has something that holds them back and this is mine. If using no brakes for a session or two helps then YAY for me but that is what the track is for, right? To learn? :D

Yes, I see his smiling face with his Hawaiian get-up around his neck :)

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert

Post by Striple » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 am

Telomere, just take it easy and get more track time. If Dave, fixxer, and myself can go around the track at a decent pace, so can you. :-D
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:09 am

Striple wrote:Telomere, just take it easy and get more track time. If Dave, fixxer, and myself can go around the track at a decent pace, so can you. :-D
I do take it easy both on the track and street. I know I take it too easy (like grandma pace) because I see a corner and think shit too hot, slow down, so I do and then I am like WTF, I could of hit that going a lot faster. :)

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 am

Now i'm not sure if this will help, but have you rode with fixxer around some corners a a bit faster pace than yourself? I'm not saying go out there and get hurt, but this would give you a better idea possibly
The world needs Miles

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:19 am

milesmiles wrote:Now i'm not sure if this will help, but have you rode with fixxer around some corners a a bit faster pace than yourself? I'm not saying go out there and get hurt, but this would give you a better idea possibly
I ride with him a lot and I have 2-upped with him and he scares the bejesus out of me!! Not that he is unsafe, it is because he rides completely different than I do and he enters the corners faster than I would. Maybe I hit my head super duper hard when I jumped off my bike on FM 2450 and it is all just a jumble of mush in there. :D

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 am

[quote="TelomereI see a corner and think shit too hot, slow down, so I do and then I am like WTF, I could of hit that going a lot faster. :)[/quote]

We all do that. When you do that just roll more on the throttle, lean into it more, and exit faster. The key is slow in, fast out. The more times you do it, the faster you'll get on your entry speed, you just have to build up to it.

And it's not a bad thing to do it this way. Because you don't want to get to a corner you don't know, and end up going in too hot.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert

Post by Striple » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:22 am

Telomere wrote:
milesmiles wrote:Now i'm not sure if this will help, but have you rode with fixxer around some corners a a bit faster pace than yourself? I'm not saying go out there and get hurt, but this would give you a better idea possibly
I ride with him a lot and I have 2-upped with him and he scares the bejesus out of me!! Not that he is unsafe, it is because he rides completely different than I do and he enters the corners faster than I would. Maybe I hit my head super duper hard when I jumped off my bike on FM 2450 and it is all just a jumble of mush in there. :D
Nah, its normal to be apprehensive about entering a corner (too) fast, especially if you've gone down before. After my lowside at MSRC last year, it took me about 4-5 track days to get back up to pace. Its a mental thing, and it is completely normal. You'll be at the pace that you want to be at soon enough, just give yourself time and do as many track days as you can get away with.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:27 am

Yeah, and don't even thing about trail braking. Do all your braking in a striaght line while straight up and down, then get back on the gas and throw it into the corner. You want to actually accelerate slightly through the entire turn so that it keeps you at a constant speed and keeps the bike balanced and then accelerate harder once you hit the apex.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:34 am

Don't ride over your own pace. No matter what, ride your own ride. Corner entry speed is one that you just have start a little faster and realize that you can make it, without exceeding your limits, or the bike's. It's along the same concept as the 'go for it or crash' mentality. Almost every time when you go for it when coming into a corner, you and the bike can handle it. It's when you come in hot and panic and try to straighten up and ride it out that usually ends up with problems.

That all being said, there is nothing wrong with slowly getting faster. I would start with just a few corners at a time to practice on, those that are the 'safer' (faster) corners, and start with them. Pick a point that you normally start slowing down, getting on the brakes, etc. Patches at ECR work well, skid marks, a large tuft of grass (never a cone). But something along those lines. Pick that as YOUR marker. Then see where you normally go into it. Say, you pass that patch of something, then you count 1-one-thousand 2-one-thousand, then your normally slow down or start braking...

Next time, try doing the same thing exactly and make sure you're consistent.

3rd time around, count one-one-thousand two-one-thousand three, and then start slowing down / braking. See how your speed is there.

Next time, try it again, and make sure you're comfortable with that. If you feel like you can have a bit more, next time try one-one-thousand two-one-thousand three-one, and then start your slowing down / braking.

This technique helped me get more comfortable carrying more speed into the corner, and it also has you slowly start incrementing instead of diving in too fast, over your head.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Telomere wrote:I will be working on my entry speed and braking and such but I don't know the strategy yet. I have this same issue while on the street. I slam on my brakes before entering and then go "well shit, I could have entered going a hell of a lot faster".
You've already got it figured out. You go in too slow, think "I could have gone faster", then next lap go a little bit faster. Rinse, repeat until you're going quick. There are so many variables that impact your cornering speed that you really need to work on them one at a time to stay safe.

I went through the exact same thing. You remember how godawful slow I was at ECR my very first track day? I had the same problem you're having. I went into corners really slow and then felt mid-corner like I could have been going faster, but didn't want to get on the throttle too hard either. It took a few track days before I got the hang of it. The trick for me was repeating the same track. Half of the first day I was spending learning the track layout, knowing what corners were coming up when. It wasn't until I did Barber for the second day in a row that I realized the benefit of doing the same track again. I could apply everything I had learned the day before. Instead of feeling a little lost, I always knew where I was on the track and what turns were coming up. That gave me the mental freedom to focus on 2-3 corners at a time, trying to improve them with each lap and just "getting through" the rest of the corners.

I think that if you go back to the MSRC 1.7 again you'll see what I'm talking about. After the 1st or 2nd session you'll feel like it's a lot easier to get around the track, so you can start working on speeding up in specific places.

And seriously, you need to read A Twist of the Wrist Vol 1. It's all about the methodical, systematic, scientific approach to going faster on the track, along with dealing with your fears and mental blocks. I think it's exactly what you need right now.

Edit: And what Firewa11 described is *exactly* how I got faster in some of the corners at Barber, especially Turn 1. I started progressively moving my braking point further and further down the straight until I realized I could comfortably do Turn 1 at 100mph+ (racers probably take it at 150+) and drop more speed for 2 during the left-to-right transition, since it's uphill anyway. When that clicked in my head, I was the fastest guy in L1 going through turn 1 by a long shot. I passed anybody and everybody in that turn by blowing right up the inside of them right after the apex, or getting around them on the outside of 2 (basically the same line, just different passing points).

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Yeah, barber turn 1 can be deceiving, it looks a lot worse then it is and you can take it a crazy speeds, if you turn in early enough. :)

Bewst
Achievement count: 9

Post by Bewst » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Rhino wrote: Start with an easy corner like Ricochet, where it's impossible for your 250 to take it too fast.
This is how you DO NOT take Ricochet!! lmao

Bryce and I in my step dads Porsche taking Ricochet faster and faster til we took it too fast...110mph

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:45 pm

We will see how 1.7 on Sunday goes :D I am sure most of you guys will be there but not riding with me (because y'all are too damn good for me to keep up with...but I am not pushing myself to catch up to you...that is why on certain street rides, I don't go). All of this info/advice is good...I will try to remember it all when I go there next month but with my old age, I might forget.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 am

Niiiice :-)
ImageImageImage

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:15 am

I think I have the same issue at Telomere.....I brake way too soon, but also, I don't carry enough straight speed. I know the object isn't to rocket down the straights, but a faster straight = faster lap = faster rider. I also think part of that is that I don't want to slow everyone up, but that was even on the 750 this past weekend. That was only my second time at ECR, and on a new/different bike so that may have had something to do with it. I feel a lot more comfortable at MSRC, so we'll see how I do in May :)
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:23 am

Most people do feel more comfortable at Cresson, I know I was one of them. ECR is a bit intimidating with signficantly blind corners, long (fast) straights, and track issues (patches, gravel, etc). I learned at Cresson so it's by default my favorite track.

Whatever technique you choose to use when working on your speed in the straights and corners, make sure you work on improvements slowly and take things at your own pace. Do not get caught into the trap of 'faster faster faster crash' that so many people do. Technique first, speed later, and make changes in small increments. It's kinda like getting your knee down for the first time. You'll see people struggle all day long, hanging off their bike in the most rediculous manner just trying to touch that knee on the track. Then as time goes on, they stop being focused on getting the knee down, focus on technique instead, get faster, then OMG OMG OMG I got my knee down!

As far as speed in the straights, more speed does mean faster lap times and a faster rider. But it also means more braking and more corner entry control. Going WOT down the straights requires you to pay close attention to when you shut her down to go into the corner. I've been in "oh shit" moments more times than I can count because I was pushing hard on the straight, then blew my braking marker because I was trying to overtake someone / out-brake someone and ended up braking waaaay deep into the corner, and thinking back there are so many times that I should have went down because of it, but by the grace of God I somehow made it through.

Again, the lesson here is to take things slowly and methodically to improve all aspects of your track experience.
ImageImageImage

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 am

If I was to ever get a track bike and you still need a bike to ride at the track Firewall...... I will let you use my trackbike as long as you do personal instruction for me..... You can use the trackbike ill use my regular bike and you can show me the ropes. What ya say? (you will probably have your own before I get a track bike though).
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:05 am

Yeah, I will try to remember that the next track day. Good solid advice.
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 am

Firewa11 wrote:Most people do feel more comfortable at Cresson, I know I was one of them. ECR is a bit intimidating with signficantly blind corners, long (fast) straights, and track issues (patches, gravel, etc). I learned at Cresson so it's by default my favorite track.

Whatever technique you choose to use when working on your speed in the straights and corners, make sure you work on improvements slowly and take things at your own pace. Do not get caught into the trap of 'faster faster faster crash' that so many people do. Technique first, speed later, and make changes in small increments. It's kinda like getting your knee down for the first time. You'll see people struggle all day long, hanging off their bike in the most rediculous manner just trying to touch that knee on the track. Then as time goes on, they stop being focused on getting the knee down, focus on technique instead, get faster, then OMG OMG OMG I got my knee down!

As far as speed in the straights, more speed does mean faster lap times and a faster rider. But it also means more braking and more corner entry control. Going WOT down the straights requires you to pay close attention to when you shut her down to go into the corner. I've been in "oh shit" moments more times than I can count because I was pushing hard on the straight, then blew my braking marker because I was trying to overtake someone / out-brake someone and ended up braking waaaay deep into the corner, and thinking back there are so many times that I should have went down because of it, but by the grace of God I somehow made it through.

Again, the lesson here is to take things slowly and methodically to improve all aspects of your track experience.
Very good advice! I also think this can be where a little bit of an issue in the communication department between the instructors and the students is causing some of the "OH CHIT's!!!" you are referring to. I say this because when I did the lvl2 classroom last year @ MSR-C one of the things that was causing a hiccup in my head was because all they talked about was more racing environment and not running a faster comfortable pace for yourself. I say this because like you were stating about messing up while trying to beat someone into the corner (which there is nothing wrong with this), I personally choose to not race into the corner because there is no prize worth it at a trackday. If I start racing, I will probably change my outlook on this but for now, a trackday is for me to learn to get better at riding at a faster pace in a safe environment that could one day push me to dip my toes in the competitive pool. So on that, I choose to go/no go depending on whether I KNOW Im going into that corner where and how I want or am I being rushed just because this ride in front of me is upsetting my focus to the point that it has become all about trying to get around them and I could just as easily hot pit and go back to focusing on what I am trying to do for myself.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6