MSRC Roll Call June 2-3

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Re: MSRC Roll Call June 2-3

Post by Striple » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks to everyone who showed up this weekend, it was a ton of fun as usual.

I didn't get to watch any of you guys in L1, but it sounded like everybody was doing very well. Kudos to toy for doing his first track day!

L2 was fun all weekend, although the 1.7 was pretty crowded. It was difficult to get a solid lap in with all of the traffic on the track. Miles had a smoking (!) final session, very impressive. I did get to work on a few drills, although with less success than on Saturday. Fatigue and heat were definitely impeding factors on Sunday. I'm hitting it again on Friday, so we'll see how I do with a bit more rest.

The more I ride the 1.3, the more I wonder why people always insist that there "are no straights". That track is a lot faster than it seems, and it has numerous stretches that can easily qualify for short straights. Its certainly not nearly as fast as the 1.7, but the idea that it has no straights is complete bullshit. The hairpin remained a problem turn for me, although I did lose some of the apprehension that I felt about that turn my previous time on the 1.3. I'm still quite weary of the final turn before pit-in, probably because I've ran-off there before.

My only complaint was the number of drag racers out there, especially on the 1.3. Once we're on the front straight, everybody and their mom wants to drag race to turn 1, only to park it there and then again at the bottom of the hill. Same with the carrousel turn after the hill - people are braking extremely early, and are taking all sorts of adventurous lines that make me weary of passing them. I really need to work on appropriate strategies to deal with situations when big bike douch-baggery raises its ugly head.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 am

Rick I seen you busting your ass out there man. Anyways I had a great time working on my redneck tan lines. Overall I think the 1.7 went well. Had to address a few groups yesterday but it was mainly because I worry about people getting hurt out there & riding above there means. All the talk and chatting I did over the loud speaker must have helped because no one got hurt & one of the worst wrecks I had was an instructor. In his defense he was trying to avoid taking out a bunch of people so he did really good considering the situation.
But it was nice seeing you all out there I wish I would of been riding but had a good time just being at the track.

El Diabro
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 am

Good times yesterday for sure! I can feel myself on the cusp of it all starting to click, even thought I'm not quite there just yet. I did manage to brake later than I normally do, however I'm really not carrying as much initial speed so that's my next step. Getting my arse off the seat wasn't as easy for me yesterday and I don't know why. On the right side, I know why and that's because of my knee. But on the left side I think I was doing better. I need to ride the 750 more and it should become second nature. It was fun to ride with Telomere and Toy, and watching Miles and Striple on the track has giving me some lofty goals of being out there in Lvl 2 soon. Thanks to Will and Grinner for coming by to hang out, and to '82 as well. Pink Fiddy did make an appearance in the morning during track drive since I was still working on my rearsets, and Fixxer you're awesome dude for helping out everyone! Rich you did great as Track Marshall so thanks for that!!! Talking it over with everyone before the last few sessions probably saved a few people!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:40 am

I was in level1 on the 1.3 on a 250 so my experience is a little skewed.

My FAVORITE straight is the one right after the main straight, through the decreasing radius, over the rumble strip and damn near a straight line to the next tip in, through that turn its damn near another straight to the hairpin turn in, then the next section might as well be a straight even over the left blind hill straight into the carrosel (spell). Just wiggle a foot in each direction and that's about it

I was hoping to go faster than I did, I figured on a track like that I could carry a lot of speed through the turns and I didn't have many big straights to worry about the slow liters, but it didn't work out that way, draggin hard parts all over the place. At some point I started doing ODD hang off's to do everything I could to stand the bike up, some of my photo's are going to look really strange.

I had problems with my wheels not rebounding fast enough in hairpin, so I took an odd line through there at a slower than wanted to pace and then I had two options, run 1st gear which topped out before I even stood the bike up (boooo) or run second gear and BOG all the way up the hill, the 250 is geared WAY high over stock, and has almost no ground clearance. I drug so much hard shit out there I'm really surprised they didn't black flag me, by the end of the day, some of the turns had lots of marks through them.

I did manage to pass some of the bigger bikes, but they all passed me going up that hill, Telo kicked some ass on that track and even she pulled away from me on that hill.

I want to go back in level2 next time on the wifes 250 with some BT003's on there, that should allow me to put down the lean angles I need and carry the speed through the turns.

I watched you guys on the 1.7, I don't think your problem is too many bikes so much as you guys keep catching the pack ups, I think having lots of bikes on there is contributing to the big packs that you keep catching but not the main problem if that makes sense. When you guys were packed in there were large sections of empty track.

All it takes is two liter bikes that gun it in the straights and do the star bucks parking lot in the corners to screw up the entire flow.
K1600

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:55 am

fixxervi6 wrote:I watched you guys on the 1.7, I don't think your problem is too many bikes so much as you guys keep catching the pack ups, I think having lots of bikes on there is contributing to the big packs that you keep catching but not the main problem if that makes sense. When you guys were packed in there were large sections of empty track.

All it takes is two liter bikes that gun it in the straights and do the star bucks parking lot in the corners to screw up the entire flow.
Well, those empty sections of track are easily passed through within a lap or two, because the trains are generally moving ultra-slow. Pitting-in is probably a good idea in those situations, but I prefer to work on my passing skills by forcing myself to get by the trains. Of course, my lap times then go to hell, but it certainly is an opportunity to work on other skills. That said, I prefer track days that have much fewer riders on the track, since RS always loads up the track.

And yeah, liter bikes are frequent culprits, but there are plenty of 600s and 750s doing plenty of parking in the turns as well.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:43 am

I agree the 600's and 750's do it too, but I can usually pull on those guys on the straights if I don't manage to get them in the turn :))

It's a lot easier to get the drive out on a 600 or a 750, but those 1K's, my god, those damn things have way too much boost under the seat, the only way I can get those bastards is out brake or on the outside, or a very very well timed drive out (tough for me to do).
K1600

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 am

Hopefully when I get back to the track with my 1k, I wont be one of the guys you fellas are complaining about.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:55 am

I have to say I did have a lot of fun making passes....and even a couple times were corners with someone trying to pass me. I'd hold my line, but seeing as how I didn't want to be racing from stretch to the next corner, I just let them get ahead and then would follow them, thinking about passing, until we got the next straight. Not passing on the inside in Lvl 1 kept me from a lot of passes. With the slower riders and even some of the liter bikes, it was easy to get the drive out most of the time. Maybe I should move up to level 2 because I think I could do well passing in turns. Maybe one more day in Lvl 1 to get my brain to actually give the throttle some 'jeebs' as Tony tells me! :)

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:00 am

El Diabro wrote:I have to say I did have a lot of fun making passes....and even a couple times were corners with someone trying to pass me. I'd hold my line, but seeing as how I didn't want to be racing from stretch to the next corner, I just let them get ahead and then would follow them, thinking about passing, until we got the next straight. Not passing on the inside in Lvl 1 kept me from a lot of passes. With the slower riders and even some of the liter bikes, it was easy to get the drive out most of the time. Maybe I should move up to level 2 because I think I could do well passing in turns. Maybe one more day in Lvl 1 to get my brain to actually give the throttle some 'jeebs' as Tony tells me! :)
Level2 doesn't allow inside passing, but even level 1 allows outside passing after lunch
K1600

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 pm

One of the things I like about LSTD is the fact that inside passes are allowed (6-ft rule). There are definitely situations where passing on the inside feels a lot safer to do.

And Kevan - I'm sure you'd really enjoy level 2 a lot more than you think. Imagine level one without the slower 33%, then add a couple of faster guys to the top end.

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Possibly...I guess I don't trust alot of lvl 1 riders to pass them in a turn. I'll work on that next time, or just sign up for lvl 2

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training
Achievement count: 0

Post by toy752 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:52 pm

I have to say being my first track day I didnt know what to expect. Everything was put together great. The day seemed to flow really well from track to classroom sessions.

I have to say the afternoon was much better than the morning. I dont know if it was me,the track, or the temp probably all of the above. I think the best part of the whole track is the three turns that turn into one big sweeper(dont remember names). I didnt have a problem being passed or passing people. The biggest issue I had confidence in my tires they are not up to par for the track.

I had a great time and hope to do it again very soon!!!!
SV 650 track bike
Sure do miss this one 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r
Gone but not forgotten 2012 Ninja 1000

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:22 pm

toy7521 wrote:I have to say being my first track day I didnt know what to expect. Everything was put together great. The day seemed to flow really well from track to classroom sessions.

I have to say the afternoon was much better than the morning. I dont know if it was me,the track, or the temp probably all of the above. I think the best part of the whole track is the three turns that turn into one big sweeper(dont remember names). I didnt have a problem being passed or passing people. The biggest issue I had confidence in my tires they are not up to par for the track.

I had a great time and hope to do it again very soon!!!!
What kind of tires are you running?

I think you'd be shocked (well, just about everyone would be shocked) at just how hard even a sport touring tire can be pushed. If I had to take a guess, if you were not feeling planted, the issue is more in the suspension than in the compound of the tire.

I've pushed a touring tire stupid hard on the street before it began to fail me, I was shocked at just how much abuse I could put on it, and the tires I had on the 250 were about as far away from a track tire as you could get without going full knobbies and I was dragging hard parts with those tires on.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:23 pm

:icon_whs0be:
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:30 pm

K1600

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by toy752 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:45 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
What kind of tires are you running?

I think you'd be shocked (well, just about everyone would be shocked) at just how hard even a sport touring tire can be pushed. If I had to take a guess, if you were not feeling planted, the issue is more in the suspension than in the compound of the tire.

I've pushed a touring tire stupid hard on the street before it began to fail me, I was shocked at just how much abuse I could put on it, and the tires I had on the 250 were about as far away from a track tire as you could get without going full knobbies and I was dragging hard parts with those tires on.
Well maybe it isn't my tires. I have no adjustment on my suspension except for preload on the rear..
SV 650 track bike

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:47 pm

oddly enough i looked better on the 1.3 than the 1.7. Better, but still needs improvement. I do know that my body postion is slopply unless i'm going around a fast corner. Example: the off camber turn after rattle snake...i know body position is extremly important so i tell myself i'm going off if it's not good. Also big bend. This is where i do most of my passing. I brake later and find that most people don't take it all that fast so i just go around the outside.......this is also where i think my first wreck will be lol
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:06 pm

toy7521 wrote:Well maybe it isn't my tires. I have no adjustment on my suspension except for preload on the rear..
A few comments about this: In general, you can consider your tires as being part of the suspension. Any poor settings within that entire system will greatly affect handling in the turns. If you decide that you'd like to do some more track riding, then you may want to consider upgrading that system. A proper suspension will make your bike feel much more planted, and it will allow you to focus more on improving your riding skills. And yes, while your tires are probably adequate for your current riding style, you will likely feel much more confident if you do get proper tires for the track. Just remember that it is always a trade-off between traction and longevity.

Your bike in its current state is a lot like my SV used to be when I first hit the track with her. The suspension was extremely soft and bouncy, the brakes were mushy, and my riding style was worse than all of those put together. Fixing the weaknesses of the bike makes it a lot easier to concentrate on developing your skills. I was quite amazed what the little twin was capable of once I stopped bouncing around the track like a pogo stick.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Snips from Hart (go to his site, you can see the full size and buy them, please support Blair)
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (99.52 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (187.46 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (51.28 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (180.96 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:12 pm

A few more
Attachments
8.JPG
8.JPG (93.65 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (174.4 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (90.62 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (188.57 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
K1600

Stardog82
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 14

Post by Stardog82 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:14 pm

I had a great time hanging out with you guys!
I'm a Stardog, baby.
The Fresh Prince of Ft. Worth

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:29 pm

You fuckers look like you're hauling ass! Jeez! :track:

Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:17 pm

sckego wrote:You fuckers look like you're hauling ass! Jeez! :track:
I didn't get to see them much, but everytime I did see them, they were passing people, or riding alone because they had just passed everyone :)

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by toy752 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Next track day I work on body position!!!!!
SV 650 track bike

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:41 pm

I still have to also. I kinda wonder with having to have my pegs lower is keeping me up on the bike too much.

So, mental notes for me a) body position; b) passing in turns; c) giving it the jeebs!