My first 1.3 experience

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

My first 1.3 experience

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Took the 2 fiddy out for my first run around the 1.3, it's the old school 250 so the old body style with the center stand, rented it from the 15 year old with the agreement of helping pay for the next set of tires and, $20, and if I wreck it I buy a new one.

Well, things were going great until....

A few laps in I was taking a left hander, things felt good so I gave it some boost and tipped in harder, then a funny thing happened...

I hear metal scraping, I'm like WO WTF then the rear tire goes out and more metal scraping... I stand up as quick as I can and all I can think about for the rest of the session was how pissed off Courtney was going to be that I scratched up her exhaust or whatever the hell it was that picked the back up. (think it may have been the center stand).

I exit, peg feeler is scratched up, lil rash on the stand, no biggie, I'm in the clear!

I go back out, and I see my big gash I left in the track... woops...

So I'm getting into the groove, tip in and let the clutch out and the ass end steps out and I hear a loud CHIRP CHIRP CHRIP and some hop :-D OH yea no slipper, minor brain adjustment and I was ok after that.

So I turn some more laps and I hear it metal again, oh hell, and again, and again, and again, to the point I was getting gun shy going into the corners, damn.

By the end of the day there were several gashes through the hairpin turn... (insert whistling icon here) wonder who did that shit? hmmm

So later on an instructor follows me, pulls me off and gives me a dap and says man your spot on and looking good, just tighten up turns XYZ, I said I can't, I'm draggin shit and point down, he goes ohhh yea, hang off a lot more and see if that helps.

So for the rest of the day I had strange body positions, mega hang off to the point I probably looked retarded, head up, head down, heat out to the side, head really down, SCRRRRAPE FUCK!

so I pulled off and said I'm done for the day, but the wife twisted my arm into going out again and following her, so I said ok like a good husband.

Followed her around and she did really well, there were some GSXR's that couldn't keep pace and I was like hells yea 2fiddy ftw.

I got back and looked at the tires and I notice I had them all the way to the edge, they are the original style stock tires that bike came with so not exactly the best track tire, so it's probably a good thing I was scraping and not leaning any further, those tires just didn't have much lean angle, better to scrape some shit than low side.

I like the 1.3, not quite as much as the 1.7 but I will be doing it again, running a 250 on the track was a lot of fun, my only disappointment was the inability to maintain corner speeds without attempting to plow up track with the bike, one of these days I need to take Telo's bike out there, lots more ground clearance and better tires.

Randy showed me how they grind off their kick stand mounts so they don't scrape the ground, I think Court be mad if I did that, so I'll have to wait for the right
opportunity for that
:))
K1600

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Re: My first 1.3 experience

Post by Rhino » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Just wait, your second time out there you'll probably be hooked. That's how it worked for me--sketchy feeling the first time, hooked the 2nd. It's my favorite local track now.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Rhino wrote:Just wait, your second time out there you'll probably be hooked. That's how it worked for me--sketchy feeling the first time, hooked the 2nd. It's my favorite local track now.
They will be doing the 1.3 three more times this year (8/18, 11/4, and 11/18) so I am sure he will be back for one those on MY bike :D

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:46 pm

at first i wasn't sure. By the end of the day it's a tie for it and the 1.7 If that's how i feel about it now i'm sure it will end up being my fave
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:20 am

I plan on going to a 1.3 this year if I ever get the BMW in. Anyway on the center stand... take it off. You dont need the darn thing. And taking it off will save some weight. You would be supprised at how much one of them things weigh.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:15 am

Its not my bike
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:03 am

so...hasn't stopped others.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:10 am

One thing I liked about the 1.3 is that's where I really learned proper right-hander body position. There are a lot of right-knee-dragging opportunities in that configuration, and I actually got my right knee down for the first time on "penishead".
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Firewa11 wrote:One thing I liked about the 1.3 is that's where I really learned proper right-hander body position. There are a lot of right-knee-dragging opportunities in that configuration, and I actually got my right knee down for the first time on "penishead".
I have no problem with right-handers. I just can't seem to get my ass off enough in left-handers. Go figure.
Chance favors the prepared mind.