ECR Roll Call July 7-8

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Re: ECR Roll Call July 7-8

Post by Rhino » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:00 pm

2track wrote:Working on the 8th, Track Marshal.
Sweet! Looking forward to working with you. You'll have a half-FWMR crew.

Oh, and dibs on turn 6! :D

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Rhino wrote:
2track wrote:Working on the 8th, Track Marshal.
Sweet! Looking forward to working with you. You'll have a half-FWMR crew.

Oh, and dibs on turn 6! :D
Same here. I don't care what corner I am working as long as I am NOT camera bitch :)
Chance favors the prepared mind.

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:44 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
Rhino wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:Your also skinny compared to me, being fat makes a huge difference in the heat. I've lost 5lbs, 20 more to go, so maybe next summer I won't be such a lil bitch about the heat.
*cough* *cough*

:-P

*cough* *cough*

Miles has it right. Hydration is key. When I don't hydrate properly, I feel like I'm gonna die in the heat. When I do hydrate properly, I can tolerate the heat just fine. I can even feel the difference when I'm teaching--as my hydration starts to slip, it feels hotter. As I catch back up, it doesn't feel so bad.

When I was camera bitch at MSRC this month I drank 6 liters of water, and I was mostly standing in the shade and it wasn't that hot. I figure that next time I'm riding, I'll need more like 9 liters since I'll be sweating so much more. If you're not drinking that much water, I suggest trying to properly hydrate before spending $500 on something that isn't going to help any more than dunking your cooling vest in ice water before going on the track.
I piss between each session, I'm not having hydration issues.

I've never been able to handle the heat, even back when I was a 185lbs mountain biking machine made of wood I had more than one trip to the hospital, and I was pissing plenty of clear urin and I was still having to be cold packed and put on an IV.

When I wear my mesh and evap I can handle higher temps because the evap works with mesh. In leather I get like 3 laps in and I just cook.
An evap vest on the track, a cool towel off, and staying hydrated should be all you need. The evap is not going to make you feel cool on the track, but it does help keep your core temperature down. Those three should work just as well/better as a veskimo and are a hell of a lot cheaper. If that's not working for you, and you are still having problems, it almost sounds like a circulatory problem, and you may want to talk to your doc.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:00 pm

WillK675 wrote:An evap vest on the track, a cool towel off, and staying hydrated should be all you need. The evap is not going to make you feel cool on the track, but it does help keep your core temperature down. Those three should work just as well/better as a veskimo and are a hell of a lot cheaper. If that's not working for you, and you are still having problems, it almost sounds like a circulatory problem, and you may want to talk to your doc.
Dude, I almost forgot that you ride the track as well! :D
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Striple wrote:
WillK675 wrote:An evap vest on the track, a cool towel off, and staying hydrated should be all you need. The evap is not going to make you feel cool on the track, but it does help keep your core temperature down. Those three should work just as well/better as a veskimo and are a hell of a lot cheaper. If that's not working for you, and you are still having problems, it almost sounds like a circulatory problem, and you may want to talk to your doc.

I've put my fair share of time on the track. :D Just hadn't been able to financially this year.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:26 pm

I have used just the evap vest (both on track and between sessions) and drinking plenty of fluids (water and gatorade) and I felt a lot better when the phase change was brought into the equation. I would be willing to try the Veskimo too. Anything that helps to keep my core temp down during a Texas trackday, is worth me spending my money on because at the end of the day when I go home, only I know how the equipment I used during that day to keep me cool has affected me and that is all that matters. :D You guys can go on say I am a wuss or I am not doing someting right or I am not drinking plenty of fluids (which just keeps me hydrated and does not keep my core temp down), but you are not me. If I choose to spend my money (or Fixxer's :) ) and a veskimo, then so be it, that is how I choose to spend my money. Say what ever you want, I don't care...I am big girl now ...I can handle it (and I love you guys) :D Plus, I will let you LOOK at it...if you are lucky enough :D

Striple

Post by Striple » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:29 pm

WillK675 wrote:
Striple wrote:

I've put my fair share of time on the track. :D Just hadn't been able to financially this year.
Haha - I know. I'm just yanking your chain. :)
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Striple wrote:Haha - I know. I'm just yanking your chain. :)
Hey now!!! Will is tracking it next month. Give the man a break will ya? :-)

Striple

Post by Striple » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Telomere wrote:
Striple wrote:Haha - I know. I'm just yanking your chain. :)
Hey now!!! Will is tracking it next month. Give the man a break will ya? :-)
He is my sponsor. As such, we're required to kick each other in the nuts every now and again. Its healthy.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Gotta leave some nuts to have some to kick around :D

Striple

Post by Striple » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Plenty of nuts around.

True. :-)

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:39 pm

:SideSplittingLaughter:

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 pm

WillK675 wrote:
An evap vest on the track, a cool towel off, and staying hydrated should be all you need. The evap is not going to make you feel cool on the track, but it does help keep your core temperature down. Those three should work just as well/better as a veskimo and are a hell of a lot cheaper. If that's not working for you, and you are still having problems, it almost sounds like a circulatory problem, and you may want to talk to your doc.
Sure, that stuff is enough to keep me out of the hospital, but it's not enough that the heat doesn't kick my focus in the rear end, focus drifts, crashes happen, the heat impacts my focus real bad.

My research - which includes speaking with people that have actually used multiple cooling devices and compared them, such as evap, phase change, and veskimo - does not agree with what you say here, care to share the facts that you've drawn these conclusions from?

circulatory problem? how do you figure, what symptoms am I displaying to make you think I have a circulatory problem?
K1600

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm

If I remember right, it would be high blood pressure. Either way, what he is referring to is slow circulation which reduces the capabilities of the blood to cool as it goes round. Look at your circulatory system just like the cooling system on your bike or car. When the thermostat shuts, the coolant stops flowing or slows and lets the motor heat up to help maintain proper operating temperature. Thus...high blood pressure results in a blown head gasket and low blood pressure results in improper combustion flame front.

However you look at it, it wouldnt hurt to get checked out also as a consideration.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:17 pm

High blood pressure increases your risk for heat exhaustion and heat stroke as well.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 pm

My blood pressure has always been low, I was at the doc last month and both the upper and lower numbers were low. I get this 25lbs off I bet it will help a lot.
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:57 am

Striple wrote:
Nah, that's just Miles hunched down. :SideSplittingLaughter:

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 am

You guys gotta remember--this is Fixxer we're talking to. If there's a way to throw money at a problem, he'll find it. :D

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:21 am

Rhino wrote:You guys gotta remember--this is Fixxer we're talking to. If there's a way to throw money at a problem, he'll find it. :D
Well, step one is to dump the wight, I'm down 6lbs and that hasn't cost me any money :mad:
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 am

Yeah, fair enough.

The awesome thing about losing weight as a motorcyclist--every pound has a pretty significant impact on the power-to-weight ratio of your bike.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:53 am

I could be wrong, but i heard for every 7lbs = 1hp just a rumor i heard. So back on subject, i'm still trying to make this, i'm thinking about buyin a used tire to do so. I'm going to padre in july for a mini vacation with some friends, trying to do two track days and at the beginning of august i'm going to austin for a few days....i'm a busy man with no money!!!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 am

Well grinner hit my point with the medical part of it. If your doing everything you can to keep your core temp down, and the heat is hitting you that easily that quickly, then it could be a medical condition. If it's mostly focus, it could be due to the low blood pressure, and not getting enough blood flow to the brain during those times. Or it could be not cooling, etc... And your right, it could just be the need to drop some weight.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:22 am

Or it could just be because it gets freakin' hot! I work hard to pass all of my medicals with flying colors, I hydrate like a thirsty camel, and yes - it still gets hot as hell. Working outside makes it easier to adapt to that heat, but this year I've been holed up inside the lab or starring at a computer screen all day. Lots of factors do make a difference, but I'm not sure I buy into the whole "I just do xyz, and everything is cool, even at 100+" -idea. Doing all the right things will help you manage the heat, but even then its never quite the pleasant experience that people sometimes like to insinuate.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 am

Striple wrote: but I'm not sure I buy into the whole "I just do xyz, and everything is cool, even at 100+" -idea. Doing all the right things will help you manage the heat, but even then its never quite the pleasant experience that people sometimes like to insinuate.
:icon_whs0be: , but i do my best to make it a pleasant experience!!! To be honest i've been held up inside a lot this summer as well and i'm curious as to how i will handle it with older age and such...
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 am

It ain't summer, yet! We're still in spring, summer doesn't begin for at least another week!

You know it's summer in Texas when you see the white people melting and/or spontaneously combust!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"