BiLT Products.

Fish R1
Achievement count: 0

BiLT Products.

Post by Fish R1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 am

Is BiLT Trackstar leather Motorcycle gear a quality product line? I have recenctly bought a pair of BiLT Trackstar gloves so I am giving one of the products a test.

Does anyone else have any input? (good or bad)

Thanks

Stardog82
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 14

Re: BiLT Products.

Post by Stardog82 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:36 am

I was wondering the same. I need some new gloves pretty badly, and saw that Cycle Gear has some Bilt ones on sale for cheap. Any reason not to?
I'm a Stardog, baby.
The Fresh Prince of Ft. Worth

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:40 am

BiLT is Cycle Gears in house brand. It replaced the Frank Thomas Line. It doesnt seem as well constructed as the Frank Thomas line but they do offer a pretty good warranty on their stuff.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:52 am

I personally don't own any built gear so take what you will from what i post. I do own frank thomas and for the price i got it's worked out good(keep in mind i got it on clearance, super cheap). It's now starting to fall apart though and i wished i would have went with a better product. If you can stay away, it's cheap for a reason. But if you can't some of their products seem to be ok
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 am

I have some bilt boots, they are ok, but if I crash I sure hope I have my Alpine star boots on instead.

Bottom line is this, if you need gear on a budget, BILT is going to be better than a T-Shirt.

If you can fork out for better, do it, if you need gear but don't have the scratch for high end stuff, see previous statement.
K1600

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 am

I'm not a big fan of the Cycle Gear in house brands, regardless what name they slap on it. I own several of their items (boots, hot gear/cold gear, etc.), and none of them seem to be particularly well-constructed or durable. The Bilt boots are extremely comfortable, and are absolutely waterproof (as advertised) as long as they don't get wet. :D First monsoon I wore them through had my feet splashing around the inside of the boots, despite solid rain gear pants.

When it comes to gear, its better to pay extra for quality and durability.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:12 am

If you need the gear on a budget, go ahead and pay a little more for the sedici. It is CycleGears other in-house brand, but is of a little better construction and materials. Not the top of the line, but alot better than the Bilt stuff, and still cheap.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 am

WillK675 wrote:If you need the gear on a budget, go ahead and pay a little more for the sedici. It is CycleGears other in-house brand, but is of a little better construction and materials. Not the top of the line, but alot better than the Bilt stuff, and still cheap.
I would think that Sedici replaced the Frank Thomas line because Bilt is definitely lower quality than FT.

Bilt will most likely last 1 wreck. They will protect you but they will most likely fall apart at the seam too. I have heard of people purchasing 1-piece bilt leathers and had to replace them under warranty because they were coming apart at the seams.

Sometimes, you can find good deals on products that are on clearance at stores in the area (moto liberty and cycle gear) but sometimes there are deals online too. The best deals for the stores in the area, would be when it is not in season. If you are looking for leathers or a mesh jacket, check those stores in the winter time etc.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:29 am

Yeah i always thought that sedici replace FT, not Bilt. I do consider Bilt lower quality.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:34 am

Long story short. Frank Thomas went under. CycleGear teamed up with FT's suppliers and a couple of people from FT, and started the Sedici and Bilt lines.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:43 am

The built boots are comfy. The FT Pants do me well. All that said I found a nice deal on a A-star full suit that I might buy.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Fish R1

Post by Fish R1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 am

It sounds like Bilt Track Star leather products are (1) cheap price (2) average to poor quality (3) 5 year guarantee. The reason why I bring up the 5 year guarantee is this.

When I was coming up in the construction trade we would buy the Craftsman brand tape measures and other Craftsman brand tools of the trade. When the tools broke we would take them back usually without a reciept and Sears would replace them on the spot. The tape measures were an item that would wear out or break frequently due to high usage. The moral to this story is I only had to buy 2 tape measures in 20 years.

I realize that alot of the other higher quality leather product manufacturers offer the same guarantee (possibly longer) I also read in this thread about the 1 wreck situation.
This is something that needs to be considered in this discussion thread also.

Everyone has given some great information!!!!!!!!

Thanks FWMR Keep it coming.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 am

As stated i have frank thomas gear(little better than bilt in my opinion). I'm doing my very best to get quality leathers and not skipping on them either. I'm worried that in a wreck my FT gear will not hold up. That's my number one concern!!! Now on the 5yr guarantee....if it's through cycle gear then that would work out great, but normall they ship it off to Bilt themselves and that is the biggest head ache ever. You sometimes have to pay shipping and then you wait and wait and wait only to hear back that you abused the product and they will not cover it
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:37 am

From what I've seen with the built (and form experience) you just walk into the store and they swap you out.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 am

well that's not a bad deal then. But you have to ask yourself, why do we buy this gear? We buy it to protect us. If i have the means to buy quality gear i will, if not i have to go with something cheaper. Buy the best gear money can buy and in my opinion that puts some of the questions of "will this hold up" to rest. With that being said i'm pretty poor guy lol
The world needs Miles

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 am

You may want to ask someone at cyclegear, on the warranties. But the sedici is still cheap and a better built product. Looking online I see the Bilt has a 5-year guarantee, and the sedici has a lifetime guarantee.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 am

WillK675 wrote:You may want to ask someone at cyclegear, on the warranties. But the sedici is still cheap and a better built product. Looking online I see the Bilt has a 5-year guarantee, and the sedici has a lifetime guarantee.
Turismon swapped out a bilt leather jacket in the store, and Monster swapped out dirtbike armor in the store.
K1600

Bewst
Achievement count: 9

Post by Bewst » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 am

Anything Speed and Strength(Tucker Rocky) I have bought has come unsewn.

Haste

Post by Haste » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:30 am

I use a built jacket and glove set. Seriously, if you can afford better get something else. The stitching on the gloves and jacket is COMPLETE shit, i hate it but i cant afford a new jacket for another month or two.

Its better than nothing, but not by a large measure.

EDIT: Less than 5 months of riding has stressed a lot of the stitches to the point of partial failure. Or if you look at it in terms of miles, 8k miles has resulted in major stitch faults.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:36 am

Bewst wrote:Anything Speed and Strength(Tucker Rocky) I have bought has come unsewn.
Ditto!
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:57 am

My First Gear stuff is holding up amazingly.

My jacket gets the hell used out of it and abused, it's showing no signs of wear, My mesh pants are holding up better than my FT leathers and the mesh gets used a lot more.

It's not the most expensive stuff in the world but I'm blown away by how well it's holding up.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Yeah I have some winter pants, first gear, and I'm very happy with them
The world needs Miles

MattStrada

Post by MattStrada » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Just bought a SS jacket hopefully it holds up. At least until the winter mths.
Current Rides.
2015 Multistrada 1200s
Past Rides
2013 Yamaha R1.
12 Gsxr 750

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 am

My SS jacket has done well.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:32 am

fixxervi6 wrote:My First Gear stuff is holding up amazingly.

My jacket gets the hell used out of it and abused, it's showing no signs of wear, My mesh pants are holding up better than my FT leathers and the mesh gets used a lot more.

It's not the most expensive stuff in the world but I'm blown away by how well it's holding up.
++

I have a First Gear leather jacket and it's my favorite ever. Their stuff really is top notch, for a decent price.