DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: MSRC May 18/19

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 15, 2013 7:46 am

DemonDuck wrote:Yea but I don't know any of them lol

Do they let you opt out of class still? Also I won't be able to show till close to 9 will that be an issue?
No, at least they said they were stopping that for lvl 2 at the start of the year.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:57 am

So what is this rumor of RS black flagging people that don't hit the X's ?
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 am

Whaaa
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:17 am

Just a rumor I heard, dunno if it's true.
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Wed May 15, 2013 9:34 am

I heard that as well.... If they so then it might be my last RS
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:37 am

Well if it is just for extreme cases then I am OK with it. But if I get a black flag for going deep into a turn for a drive out pass....

And is it just level1 they are doing it to?
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:42 am

It happened on one particular event when there was a crazy number of crashes. Dave was frantic and doing everything he could think of to keep people from hurting themselves. Its not a regular thing.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Fish R1
Achievement count: 0

Post by Fish R1 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Rich was Track Marshal and I was in the hair pin on the 1.3 at Cresson on April 7. Dave was sitting on the outside of turn 1 at various times during the day and was calling out bikes that were missing the tip in x on turn 1. He would then call on the radio to all corner workers to black flag the rider that missed the x and they would report to Rich.
This was due to a bad run off in that turn that injured a person on Sunday and another bad accident on Saturday in the same corner that required the air ambulance service.

Bottom line is, Dave got tired of the riders missing the marks and decided to take an aggressive position on riding the line. Its Daves business and he was making the calls for the most part. I am sure Rich has some input on the subject.

I am corner working this Saturday. It will be interesting to see what his stand is on the 1.7 track. Considering the accident history on the 1.3 earlier this year.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Tuff call, but it was level 1. It'd have to be a judgement call though, the turn in point for turn 1 has a good bit of variance, especially if there is any traffic you're trying to pass on the "straight". I would hope Dave was only flagging people that were missing the X baddly, for no good reason.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Wed May 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Fish R1 wrote:I am corner working this Saturday. It will be interesting to see what his stand is on the 1.7 track. Considering the accident history on the 1.3 earlier this year.
What does the 1.7 have to do with the 1.3? They may be at the same location but they are different tracks.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Fish R1 wrote:Rich was Track Marshal and I was in the hair pin on the 1.3 at Cresson on April 7. Dave was sitting on the outside of turn 1 at various times during the day and was calling out bikes that were missing the tip in x on turn 1. He would then call on the radio to all corner workers to black flag the rider that missed the x and they would report to Rich.
This was due to a bad run off in that turn that injured a person on Sunday and another bad accident on Saturday in the same corner that required the air ambulance service.

Bottom line is, Dave got tired of the riders missing the marks and decided to take an aggressive position on riding the line. Its Daves business and he was making the calls for the most part. I am sure Rich has some input on the subject.

I am corner working this Saturday. It will be interesting to see what his stand is on the 1.7 track. Considering the accident history on the 1.3 earlier this year.
It is Dave's business and he can make whatever rules he wants, but that doesn't mean customers have to go to his track days if they don't like the way he runs his business. If someone is blowing the X's so bad they are making dangerous situations for other rides then I can see them black flagging people for people with lines so bad they are putting others at risk.

If I have to pull in and talk to the track Marshall for blowing a turn cause I missed the apex X by 3 feet I won't be giving RS any more money, having to check in after a run off is borderline in my opinion as it is.

But as I stated, if the lines are so bad they are causing problems for other riders (which I've seen happen) that's a different story.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Checking in after is a run off is pretty SOP for most track schools. Hell, some of the car school, you run off once you're done for the day. All that, I still think the X's are a mistake. Maybe an X for a turn that has an odd apex, or an x marking the spot to drift out to on a double apex that most people cut too sharp, but x's for every turn in, apex, and exit is too much. And then forcing people to hit them will also cause them to look down at the x and not up at the track. I have always felt a good school should focus more on teaching you how to read the turn, rather then what the line is. If you are just taught the line for the track that's ok but it'll only work for that track. You then have to taught another line for a new track. However if you are taught how to read the track and the turns you can figure out the line and learn it on your own with just a few pointers from those more experenced on said track.

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 pm

The Xs have helped me a lot as far as getting around the tracks but left me with very little line building ability.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 am

I did like not having the X on Monday. We still had cones on the apex and for various markers which was good to build your own line.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:So what is this rumor of RS black flagging people that don't hit the X's ?
I was told that once (L1 obviously) but I can not recall which track. It was 1.3 or ECR. I missed a metric asston of Xs and I did not get black flagged.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Fri May 17, 2013 5:58 am

Im not going to make it tomorrow. I was able to get the days off that I needed so I will be in Oklahoma instead. I will try to make it to another track day that we have a good showing for.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

2track

Post by 2track » Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 am

For some reason Dave really hits the x thing hard on the 1.3. I don't believe that it will carry over a whole lot to the other tracks.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Fri May 17, 2013 10:36 am

I think the 1.3 scares him from a safety stand point. Blind turns, no run offs, no straights for easy passes, easy to screw up, it's a very challenging track, especially to those that have never been on it before.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:00 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the 250cc was a freakin BLAST

That was WAY more fun that I thought it was going to be.

I'm sure I did damage to that engine, pulling out of wagon wheel I started up the hill and the bike just wouldn't go, was losing power, and I was like wtf is wrong with this thing, I look down and the tach is setting at 15,000.... oh... yea.... I was having to shift a LOT more than what I normally do.

Going into little bend I hit a ghost neutral on downshift about 75% of the time, so my confidence of going into that turn hot just wasn't there, I think the shift lever was still a little out of adjustment for me and I just wasn't kicking it in good and hard. I had neutrals between like 3rd and 4th. Oh well.

It was hard to go by "feel" to shift, the 750 has a power drop off before the rev limiter I use that to shift, for downshifting I just pick my gear and go, on the 250 coming down the main straight the bike felt funny, I looked down the oil light was on and the tach was buried (past 15K). oopsy pulled the clutch in and coasted, let it back down and the engine came back on and life was good again, I thought I toasted that motor. (yes, used to a slipper so sue me). I had to "watch" my tach a lot more closely and do lots of short shifting to keep it in the happy revs.

My neck hurts

I tried to stay super tucked in as much as I could, chin on the tank.

Foot real estate was an issue, right turns were an issue cause my foot was against the exhaust hanger, nothing I could do about it, it was just distracting enough to be distracting. The franken-fifty doesn't have an exhaust so that won't be an issue. The cramped space did have an impact on my knees, they hurt.

One very interesting aspect of the 250, when you mess up, there is no making up ground. I was getting passed here and there (in the straights of course) but they never got away from me, but blow one turn, and catching back up was impossible.

One big thing I got out of today, I now know what it feels like to take a tire to it's lean limit and then slide. When my left knee was on the ground just skipping I leaned a little bit more (knee lifts up a little) and then she starts sliding. Checked my chicken strips and there were 0, even the corner was a little chewy. The tires on this thing won't tolerate as much lean as the Q2's so it was interesting.

This thing was super twitchy, any movement mid corner and the bike knew about it. It was also harder for me to ride lose with my upper body cause holding on with my legs was just tougher on this thing.

I quickly developed the outside foot "stirrup" positioning early on, to the point the turn didn't feel right unless my outside food was hooked on the heel, this is a habit I've been trying to develop for a while so I hope it sticks with me.

Bottom line, it's hard to make this thing go fast

but

when you do, it's just that much more fun when you smoke around a liter bike.

One guy on a busted up CBR kept trying to get me in the main straight and trying out braking me into rattle snake (hehe, I don't think so). We'd hit the turns and I'd pull away, next straight he was trying for it again, dude never did get around :))

Passing was a bitch, the problem was I'd get right on someones ass, they would tip into a turn opening the outside door and I'd hunker down and punch it... I'd be going around and as soon as they saw the straight they'd take off, denying me my victory. I had to time it so that I had my speed on the straight at tip in so I'd have to actually back off from a rider and try to time it, which was tricky cause sometimes that causes you to get passed when you do that in a straight.

Throttle control was interesting, wagon wheel for example, tip in and aim for outside clip point, then it was pinned all the way to little bend. On the 750 I don't pin it until I start up the hill out of wagon wheel.

For big bend, just pin the bastard out of the back three and hold it pinned until you get to rattle snake. (I slid in big bend by doing that a few times)

All in all I can't believe how much fun it was, not sure how much fun it would be in level2 cause a big part of the fun was traffic.

I'd love to set this thing up with suspension and some tires that would allow for more corner speed. Retarted levels of fun.
K1600

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Sun May 19, 2013 6:16 am

Glad everyone had fun and stayed safe
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Sun May 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Wow, what a great weekend. Having 3 days on this track this week did me a lot of good. I am far ahead of where I was 7 days ago. Despite the badgering from my sponsor I needed to spend the weekend in Level 1. I did half of a session in L2 today and did not feel out of place. 2 days ago or even this morning I would have. I got a lot of work done and it just feels great. Big thanks to Shaun for all of his help.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by toy752 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Nice meeting you 82 and Shaun. Today was a freaking blast!!!! I went in wanting to work on my body position and lines. I think I worked on both of them very well. It took me a session to stop the 1000 parking before the turns but Shaun told me to put it in third and leave it there. That helped me so much with my corner speed it isnt even funny. I am so glad Thomas told me to ask for Shaun he helped me soooooooo much.
SV 650 track bike
Sure do miss this one 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r
Gone but not forgotten 2012 Ninja 1000

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Sun May 19, 2013 4:25 pm

84, it's 84! :D I did the same thing with my cb900f, put it in 3rd and leave it alone. I even did that a little bit with my 600 yesterday when I needed to back myself off.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by toy752 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Lol I am tired honest mistake. Congratulations on moving to level 2.
SV 650 track bike
Sure do miss this one 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r
Gone but not forgotten 2012 Ninja 1000

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Sun May 19, 2013 4:38 pm

I have to admit that I am a little bit worried that early in the mornings I might not be up to pace with the L2 guys but then again they will not be up to pace yet either so I should be good to go. Can't wait for the 1.3 next month!
DR650
Have cool, will travel