Where to get a smartphone unlocked

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
mahart
Achievement count: 8

Where to get a smartphone unlocked

Post by mahart » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:26 am

I bought a used AT&T S3 off Craigslist. The IMEI # is clear, but AT&T wants me to sign a contract to get it unlocked. That would defeat my purpose. I'm not going to go back and pester the previous owner.

I'm getting lost in my search to find a local shop I can walk into to get it unlocked. All the ads on Craigslist point me to websites. I don't trust that.

Is there a shop in Ft Worth or a website one of you tech guys trust?

I'm planning on using Straight Talk @ Walmart for a cheap month-to-month provider. I'd appreciate any leads.
Revved up like a douche.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Re: Where to get a smartphone unlocked

Post by DemonDuck » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I thought you can do it yourself. Look it up on youtube.... should be a walkthrough there somewhere.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:44 pm

That would be to jailbreak a phone. Gsm unlock from what I recall is a PITA. Last time I went lookin for a gsm unlock there was a website out there for someone that does it correctly. For a certain price, they will unlock the phone and also add that phone to the unlocked server so no matter what it will stay unlocked. Alot of the others will do it but from whatI hear it is kinda like the old school "free"satellite service where for a set price you get an unlocked card that once plugged in will unlock all channels until they send out kill codes and then you were stuck gettin it unlocked again.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 4

Post by 111 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:02 pm

I heard a metro pcs commercial today that said if you bring them your att or other phone they will put their SIM in it for you. I assume that means unlock as well.
Red on Black 12 GSXR 600

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:45 am

After the last beginner ride, I followed someone's advice, I don't remeember who-but thank you, I searched the xda forum. Someone had posted a how to unlock just using the phone. It's now unlocked and on a new, cheaper network.

Thanks you guys.
Revved up like a douche.