MSRC 5/17 or 5/18?

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Re: MSRC 5/17 or 5/18?

Post by LonestarCBR » Sat May 31, 2014 9:26 am

I'm starting to make progress on posting videos on YouTube (LonestarCBR), though not half done yet. It was easier to find when I searched "LonestarCBR at MSRC". You're getting what I recorded, other than trying to manage image quality versus file size, I have done no other editing.

You all probably know YouTube way better than I, but I find it defaulting down to a fairly low quality, and if you click on the little "Settings" sprocket, you can select 720P, which is what I converted down to, and it looks pretty good.

Open to suggestions (yes, improve my riding skills, got that one on the list already).

EDIT: Thought I had just published one, but it's MIA, so rerunning it. :-o
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Sat May 31, 2014 2:17 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:I'm starting to make progress on posting videos on YouTube (LonestarCBR), though not half done yet. It was easier to find when I searched "LonestarCBR at MSRC". You're getting what I recorded, other than trying to manage image quality versus file size, I have done no other editing.

You all probably know YouTube way better than I, but I find it defaulting down to a fairly low quality, and if you click on the little "Settings" sprocket, you can select 720P, which is what I converted down to, and it looks pretty good.

Open to suggestions (yes, improve my riding skills, got that one on the list already).

EDIT: Thought I had just published one, but it's MIA, so rerunning it. :-o
Not sure what I've done wrong, but I think I have videos under two different accounts after linking to Google Plus, which best I can tell it required me to do. There are four videos on what I think is LonestarCBR, and two on Terry Jenkins. If anyone is seeing them all under one account, please let me know. :-o :-o :-o :-o
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am

milesmiles wrote:I don't know if it's the same for your bike as mine, but Will showed me a plug in for the front lights that you unclip. You can get it set up that you don't have to take anything off to do it. A little late, but that will help for next time
I need a little more guidance on how to do this. Is this on the back of the headlights, somewhere between there and fuse box, where exactly. I've been nosing around and can't see anything easy to unplug. I've added the fly screen and visor.

And that being said, I think I'll Google it. Only got vague feedback on the subject form the Speed Triple Riders Forum.
~ Terry

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:19 am

On our left side there is a panel that takes up the gap between the fairings and the tank. Take that panel off and there is a wire that leads to the headlights. It should have a plug connection somewhere on it. I know I had to pull/untangle it a bit from other wires. Now mine is so easy I just reach in and unplug. But your bike is way different. Best bet is to trace the wire back from the lights
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Will, you posted something a while back about duct tape with a light adhesive...model # and everything. Can you post it again please. I'll take back anything disparaging I've ever said until after your done.
~ Terry

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:20 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:Will, you posted something a while back about duct tape with a light adhesive...model # and everything. Can you post it again please. I'll take back anything disparaging I've ever said until after your done.

Hmmm.. I don't recall this.. It may be that I put on painters tape, and then go back over that with duct tape. The only other thing I can think of that I said was in regards to your headlight causing the adhesive from tape, to melt onto the headlamp.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:11 pm

You could also use some removable vinle custom made headlight covers. It's what I use. ;)
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:15 pm

WillK675 wrote:
LonestarCBR wrote:Will, you posted something a while back about duct tape with a light adhesive...model # and everything. Can you post it again please. I'll take back anything disparaging I've ever said until after your done.

Hmmm.. I don't recall this.. It may be that I put on painters tape, and then go back over that with duct tape. The only other thing I can think of that I said was in regards to your headlight causing the adhesive from tape, to melt onto the headlamp.
I'm having some kind of issue logging into the Speed Triple forum...maybe that's where it came from. :oops:

I'm pretty sure if so, the guy was really good-looking, smart and articulate...so you can obviously see how I got the two of you confused. :-D
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:18 pm

DarcShadow wrote:You could also use some removable vinle custom made headlight covers. It's what I use. ;)
Are these static cling, Velcroed on, etc?

What specific material, and where do you get it. I'm assuming you made these yourself, yes?
~ Terry

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:25 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:You could also use some removable vinle custom made headlight covers. It's what I use. ;)

What specific material, and where do you get it. I'm assuming you made these yourself, yes?
You want some of those. It's removable vinyl with decorative vinyl on top. I had some round ones that looked like bloodshot eyeballs on my S3. Everybody loved them at the track.

I put painter's tape on my headlights then stuck the vinyl on top of that, mostly so I was sticking the vinyl to a clean surface instead of dirt and bugs.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:30 pm

I found some model specific molded tinted covers on-line, they Velcro on, so I'd have to paint the inside to make certain the light doesn't shine through unless I can figure out how to disable the headlight. Plus, secure them better I'm assuming. They offer a lot of solutions for the round headlight. The hexagon, not so much.
~ Terry

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 pm

It's ok for light to shine through the headlights. It's the brake light you really don't want showing.

Duct tape over painter's tape is the quick and dirty way to do it.

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Rhino wrote:It's ok for light to shine through the headlights. It's the brake light you really don't want showing.

:icon_whs0be: The main reason for taping it is to hold it together in the event of a mishap. Keeps everything together, and you don't end up with small debris that needs to be cleaned off the track. So a dark cover, that Velcro's on may not pass tech.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:46 pm

That's what I did last time, but the bulbs were still burning since the fuse-pull disabled the ignition also, and at the end of two days, the plastic lenses had started to deform. I think there are pics back up the thread somewhere. I didn't mind doing it this way except for that. I'm figuring another two days of that, especially in August heat and they'll be a real mess.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:47 pm

WillK675 wrote:
Rhino wrote:It's ok for light to shine through the headlights. It's the brake light you really don't want showing.

:icon_whs0be: The main reason for taping it is to hold it together in the event of a mishap. Keeps everything together, and you don't end up with small debris that needs to be cleaned off the track. So a dark cover, that Velcro's on may not pass tech.
Yep, that's why I said they'd have to be secured better, if they will work at all.
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:50 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:

Yeah, made them myself. I have a wall vinyl that sticks about like painters tape, maybe a little stronger. I put mine straight onto the headlight and after the trackday, take it off and save it for the next track day. You can get half a dozen trackdays out of it before the stickyness starts to wear off, mostly due to the dead bugs that I didn't clean off the lights. ha!

Your lights a simple hexagon, relatively flat? If so get me the dimensions and I can make you up some crazy eyes like Rhino had or something else if you prefer.

Edit:
Just found a good shot of the headlights on your bike. The look pretty flat but not a true hexagon. So, take a photo of one of your headlights from as straight on as possible and then send it an the measurement of one of the sides. Or if you can get a ruler in the photo with the light that'd be even better.
LonestarCBR wrote:That's what I did last time, but the bulbs were still burning since the fuse-pull disabled the ignition also, and at the end of two days, the plastic lenses had started to deform. I think there are pics back up the thread somewhere. I didn't mind doing it this way except for that. I'm figuring another two days of that, especially in August heat and they'll be a real mess.
You should be able to unplug the bulbs pretty easily. On the honda there is a large round cover on the back side that give you access to the bulb. Take that off, unplug the bulb, put the cover back on and good to go.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm

DarcShadow wrote:
LonestarCBR wrote:

Yeah, made them myself. I have a wall vinyl that sticks about like painters tape, maybe a little stronger. I put mine straight onto the headlight and after the trackday, take it off and save it for the next track day. You can get half a dozen trackdays out of it before the stickyness starts to wear off, mostly due to the dead bugs that I didn't clean off the lights. ha!

Your lights a simple hexagon, relatively flat? If so get me the dimensions and I can make you up some crazy eyes like Rhino had or something else if you prefer.

Edit:
Just found a good shot of the headlights on your bike. The look pretty flat but not a true hexagon. So, take a photo of one of your headlights from as straight on as possible and then send it an the measurement of one of the sides. Or if you can get a ruler in the photo with the light that'd be even better.
LonestarCBR wrote:That's what I did last time, but the bulbs were still burning since the fuse-pull disabled the ignition also, and at the end of two days, the plastic lenses had started to deform. I think there are pics back up the thread somewhere. I didn't mind doing it this way except for that. I'm figuring another two days of that, especially in August heat and they'll be a real mess.
You should be able to unplug the bulbs pretty easily. On the honda there is a large round cover on the back side that give you access to the bulb. Take that off, unplug the bulb, put the cover back on and good to go.
You are the man! I'll do better than that, I'll get you photos, and a drawing (you don't do AutoCAD by chance do you?).

I have the fly screen on it that appears to have really jacked up the access. I haven't tried unbolting it, but that may be the trick. Just haven't made the time. I'll look for access. No one on the ST forum offered up an easy solution...just unplugging the "sub-harness", but I don't know specifically what or where yet. I've done little web searching, but haven't checked YouTube specifically yet. Thanks!
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:41 pm

autocad, no, but I can open some 2d autocad drawings, AutoCAD DXF R13, as well as a number of other vector format files, SVG is my prefered file type.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:16 pm

I think I'm going to hardwire a toggle switch into my wire harness for headlights, taillights, signal lights, etc. That way, I can easily just take off the passenger seat, flip the switch, and now it's trackday ready with limited taping needed.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:59 am

I tried that with my tail lights. Didn't work with the LED kit, not sure why but the lights didn't work correctly when the swith was on.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:12 am

Here is the info on the duct tape I referenced earlier (sorry again Will). I will say I couldn't find anything that said "residue free" in the Duct Tape section at Home Depot.

Better than painter's tape is "Residue-Free Duct Tape". Look for it in the paint aisle, or buy on Amazon.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT:
Also found it on Ebay, with some more info. I'm assuming it comes in other colors besides gray, but not positive yet.

3M TOUGH Duct Tape NO RESIDUE! - 6 Months No Mess! - Professional Grade 1.88 inch wide X 60 feet per roll - # 2420

SCOTCH TOUGH DUCT TAPE *1.88 x 60 feet roll *Gray color *Professional grade *NO RESIDUE - 6 Months No Mess! *Great strength and weather resistance for job site repairs *Meets UL-723 standards, HUD and BOCCA codes *Use indoors or outdoors up to 200 degrees F.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 am

This might be another good solution...not sure if you have to be in the union to use it however. :HeadScratch: :)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~ Terry