Tesla upgrade looks like its great success

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Tesla upgrade looks like its great success

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:22 am

https://electrek.co/2016/12/27/tesla-au ... t-dashcam/

I would really like to get one some day.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: Tesla upgrade looks like its great success

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:14 am

cool, although I kept thinking every time I read the word radar, how long till someone files a law suit because the radar coming from their car had made them sick. lol
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Lol darc.... radars been out for some time.... I think GM started on Cadillac with long range stuff back in 05/06 on the DTS. Dont think anyone has sued.....yet....

This is cool, but I think someone else pioneered this first. Maybe Volvo or Nissan? Makes me wonder if there was a patent on it, and if Tesla had rights..
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:37 am

Yeah, but GM kind of slipped it in and didn't make as big of a deal about it being radar, just sensors. When I hear radar and probably most people, I/they think military and high power stuff that you're not suppose to be near. I know the stuff in the car is no where near military power but some eager attorney won't care. Hell back in the day when ABS was still rather new, there was an attorney trying to get a law suit started because the ABS system didn't work at speeds below 5 mph.

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JTChiTown » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:22 pm

True....the PR team at GM does a terrible job of selling the cool features we have/had years before anyone else.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:25 am

I am sure at some point it will become as standard as ABS. So will the auto drive stuff and all.... its just cool to see the changes and hear about them.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:39 am

You all got me curious... Interesting from Wikipedia:

1992: Mitsubishi is the first automaker to offer a Lidar-based distance detection system on the Japanese market Debonair. Marketed as Distance Warning, this early system only warns the driver, without influencing throttle, brakes or gearshifting.[5][6]
1995: Mitsubishi Diamante introduced laser Preview Distance Control. This early system controls speed only through throttle control and downshifting, not by applying the brakes.[5]
1997: Toyota begins to offer a "laser adaptive cruise control" (lidar) system on the Japanese market Celsior.[7] Like Mitsubishi's 'Preview Distance Control, it controls speed only through throttle control and downshifting, not by applying the brakes.
1999: Mercedes introduces Distronic, the first worldwide radar-assisted ACC[citation needed], on the Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W220) [8][9] and the CL-Class.[10]
1999: Jaguar begins offering a radar-based Adaptive Cruise Control system on the Jaguar XK (X100).[11]
1999: Nissan introduces laser (lidar) Adaptive Cruise Control on Japanese market Nissan Cima.[12]
2000: BMW introduces radar Active Cruise Control in Europe on the BMW 7 Series (E38).[citation needed]
2000: The Lexus division of Toyota is the first to bring laser adaptive cruise control to the US market in late 2000, with the LS 430's Dynamic Laser Cruise Control system.[13]
2000: Toyota further refines their laser ACC system by adding "brake control", that also applies brakes.[7]
2001: Infiniti introduces laser Intelligent Cruise Control on the 2002 Infiniti Q45 Third generation F50, and 2002 Infiniti QX4.
2001: Renault introduces Adaptive Cruise Control on the Renault Vel Satis[14] (supplied by Bosch[15])
2002: Lancia introduces radar adaptive cruise control (by Bosch) on the Lancia Thesis[16]
2002: Volkswagen introduces radar Adaptive cruise control, manufactured by Autocruise (now TRW), on the Volkswagen Phaeton in first half of 2002.
2002: Audi introduces radar Adaptive cruise control (Autocruise) on the Audi A8 in late 2002
2003: Cadillac introduces radar adaptive cruise control (ACC) on the Cadillac XLR.[17]
2003: Toyota shifts from laser (lidar) to radar ACC technology: October 2003 radar ACC on the Celsior.[7] The first Lexus Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and a radar-guided pre-collision system on the Lexus LS(XF30) US market facelift.[18]
2004: Toyota adds "low-speed tracking mode" to the radar ACC on the Crown Majesta.[7] The low-speed speed tracking mode was a second mode that would warn the driver and provide braking if the car ahead stopped; it could stop the car, but would then deactivate itself.[19]
2005: In the United States, Acura first introduced radar Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) integrated with a Collision avoidance system (Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)) in the late calendar year 2005 in the model year 2006 Acura RL as an optional feature.[20]
2005: Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W221) refined the Distronic system to completely halt the car if necessary (now called "Distronic Plus". Now offered on E-Class and most Mercedes sedans. In an episode of Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson[citation needed] demonstrated the effectiveness of the cruise control system in the S-class by coming to a complete halt from motorway speeds to a round-about and getting out, without touching the pedals.
2006: Audi introduced Full speed range ACC plus on the Audi Q7. It has low-speed mode, and additional functions to warn the driver of a potential collision, and prepare emergency braking as needed.[21] The system supplied by Bosch is also available in the 2008 Audi A8, the Audi Q5, 2009 Audi A6 and the new 2010 Audi A8. The Audi A4 is available with an older version of the ACC that does not stop the car completely.
2006: Nissan introduced Intelligent Cruise Control with DISTANCE CONTROL ASSIST on Nissan Fuga.[22] It pushes the gas pedal against the foot when the DVD navigation with GPS determines that an unsafe speed is being maintained. If the Autonomous cruise control system is being used, the Distance Control Assistance will reduce speed automatically, and will warn the driver that an adjustment is being made with an audible bell sound.
2006: September 2006 Toyota introduced its "all-speed tracking function" for the Lexus LS 460.[7] This radar-assisted system maintains continuous control from speeds of 0 km/h to 100 km/h and is designed to work under repeated starting and stopping situations such as highway traffic congestion.[23]
2007: BMW introduced full-speed Active Cruise Control Stop-and-Go on the BMW 5 Series (E60).[24]
2008: Lincoln introduced radar adaptive cruise control on the 2009 Lincoln MKS.
2008: SsangYong Motor Company introduced radar Active Cruise Control on the SsangYong Chairman[25]
2009: Hyundai introduces radar Adaptive cruise control on Hyundai Equus in Korean market.
2009: ACC and CMBS also became available as optional features in the model year the 2010 Acura MDX[26] Mid Model Change (MMC) and the newly introduced model year 2010 Acura ZDX.[27]
2010: Audi world first GPS-guided radar ACC on Audi A8#D4[4]
2010: Jeep introduces Adaptive Cruise Control on the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee[28]
2013: Mercedes introduced DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist (traffic jam assist) on the Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W222)[29]
2013: BMW introduced Active Cruise Control with Traffic Jam Assistant[30]
2014: Chrysler introduces full speed range radar Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop+ on the 2015 Chrysler 200.
2014: Tesla introduces autopilot feature to production Model S cars, enabling semi-autonomous cruise control.[31][32][33]
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 am

The Nissan DISTANCE CONTROL ASSIST sounds rather funny, the gas pedal actively pushing against you, that's hilarious. I like the idea of the traffic congestion cruise control.