Contingency plan...

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
Maddox
Achievement count: 15

Contingency plan...

Post by Maddox » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Diabro's offroading got me to thinking. What is everyones backup if that were to happen to them and the bike was unrideable?

Does everyone carry roadside assistance through their insurance? Call a buddy with truck and hope that they can get out to you?

Not trying to jinx anthing, but I'd rather have a plan and not need it then need it and not have one.
2005 SV1000S
2016 GSX-S1000

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Re: Contingency plan...

Post by sckego » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:27 pm

We have several club members with pickups and ramps who will normally be willing to come get an unridable bike. If it's way out of town sometimes we'll try and stash the bike on a nearby property, finish the ride back to town, and then a few people will go out and get the bike later (assuming the rider got his own ride back to town in a vehicle with flashy lights).
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Also, for long trips, if a support truck isn't there the plan is to find a truck rental place and haul the bike back home that way. As Sckego said, when riding with the group there's almost always some one with a truck we can call, or some one on the ride can run home and get their truck. The bike and rider might be stuck in the middle of no where for awhile but we'll make sure both make it home.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:08 pm

As soon as I get my new truck then I hope to have my wife driving it as a trail vehicle. My current truck wont do as it is just an f150 and a little older so it wont keep up well... The new truck is going to be the SRT10 viper truck.... I miss the old one so I have to get another. I think it will at least be able to keep within a reasonable distance. Mind you this might be a little while as I still have to get the new van for the wife and buy Birds bike first. :D But on a serious note I am more than willing to come help anytime with my truck and ramps. It might take some time as I live so far out but I will be there if at all possible.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:20 pm

This is a good post, i myself have wondered what i should do in the event. Not to mention someone having two good phone numbers someone can call if you go into the hospital.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:44 pm

It's never a bad thing to carry an ICE card on you (In Case of Emergency). Just a slip of paper in your pocket, wallet, etc. I also recommend letting someone in the club know (or give us your ICE info) and we'll record it on the boards for access by staff.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:48 pm

all the club members and meatballs have ice contact info the moderators can access, assuming they keep that information up to date

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:52 pm

I have a Tacoma that I can use to pick somone up. If you are a Club Member the staff should have your emergency contact numbers in case there is a problem. If you haven't updated them lately you might want to do that now.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Yep, I've got a Silverado. I'm way on the north side of town, so if someone goes down say on 51 it's gonna be a couple hours before I get to you, add to that if I have to run home first. You don't even need ramps if you have 2-3 guys.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Snail has a trailer that can be used to pick up a bike as well.

djrtx

Post by djrtx » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Regarding the roadside assistance, it's free with Progressive Insurance and also with membership in the AMA. There is also an 800 number on the back of your driver's license that will put you in touch with the Courtesy Patrol Division of the Texas State Troopers. I think they typically patrol the interstates, which are normally not near our routes, but it's good to know it's there if you need it.

Regarding the I.C.E. information, mine is taped to the underside of my seat. If I'm not conscience, pull the key, pull the seat, and you will have all the information you need. It's also in my wallet if that's easier to get to.

Go to http://www.medIDs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, scroll down until you see the "New Med-ID Wallet Card Complete It-Save It-Update It As Needed" notation in the left column. Click on this, fill in the information, and print a couple of copies. Put one in your wallet and tape the other to the underside of your seat.

Diabro, I hadn't heard about your off-roading incident. I hope all turned out well and you didn't scratch any paint or skin.
Daniel J. Roe
Fort Worth, Texas

Current bikes
2003 Honda ST1300
2011 Honda CB1000R

Former bikes
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2008 KTM SuperDuke R

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:07 pm

djrtx wrote: Go to http://www.medIDs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, scroll down until you see the "New Med-ID Wallet Card Complete It-Save It-Update It As Needed" notation in the left column. Click on this, fill in the information, and print a couple of copies. Put one in your wallet and tape the other to the underside of your seat.
Good idea. As most of the members know, I'm wearing both a medical braclet and necklace when riding. This has the two words on it that will keep the EMTs from killing me, along with information to an online databse that will give them further medical info, and I.C.E. contact info. So if I'm ever uncounsious make sure the EMT see the braclet, and those two words and then enjoy the show, as the helo takes me away. :D
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:12 pm

djrtx wrote:Regarding the roadside assistance, it's free with Progressive Insurance and also with membership in the AMA. There is also an 800 number on the back of your driver's license that will put you in touch with the Courtesy Patrol Division of the Texas State Troopers. I think they typically patrol the interstates, which are normally not near our routes, but it's good to know it's there if you need it.

Regarding the I.C.E. information, mine is taped to the underside of my seat. If I'm not conscience, pull the key, pull the seat, and you will have all the information you need. It's also in my wallet if that's easier to get to.

Go to http://www.medIDs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, scroll down until you see the "New Med-ID Wallet Card Complete It-Save It-Update It As Needed" notation in the left column. Click on this, fill in the information, and print a couple of copies. Put one in your wallet and tape the other to the underside of your seat.

Diabro, I hadn't heard about your off-roading incident. I hope all turned out well and you didn't scratch any paint or skin.

well, the skin is still dark and intact.....the bike now has some character scratches, but not mechanical damage and I'm happy about that to say the least.
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Glad you are ok. We all eventually have seen some dirt up closed, but hey riding safe is what kept most of us in one piece. Gear will always save your skin. Just don't get hit by a train. :cool: :cool:
A brother is a friend given by Nature. Legouve.

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Yea, if your bike is too cracked up to get back home, I have a tow rope in my truck.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:04 pm

CrazyKuban wrote:Glad you are ok. We all eventually have seen some dirt up closed, but hey riding safe is what kept most of us in one piece. Gear will always save your skin. Just don't get hit by a train. :cool: :cool:
I just wish it was dirt up close that I saw :(( cars up close are very very un cool.

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:18 pm

DarcShadow wrote:
CrazyKuban wrote:Glad you are ok. We all eventually have seen some dirt up closed, but hey riding safe is what kept most of us in one piece. Gear will always save your skin. Just don't get hit by a train. :cool: :cool:
I just wish it was dirt up close that I saw :(( cars up close are very very un cool.
Good point. :SideSplittingLaughter: But hey you had gear and made it semi-ok. :D

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:21 pm

the first time he made is nearly not ok

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Blizzard_1708 wrote:the first time he made is nearly not ok
True that. Ok Diabro, don't get hit by a train, or lady drivers. Sorry girls. :SideSplittingLaughter:

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:25 pm

yeah, and I still had gear on. stupid cars.

PinkFiddy
Achievement count: 12

Post by PinkFiddy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:14 am

*just throwing this in, grinner has a truck as well and since the majority of the club knows where he lives, and until his bike is in working order and his work isn't impeding on his home life, and vice versa, you can always call him.
I'm a big kid with the mentality of a Racoon & the energy of a Fiddy.
lalaloo!
Dolce Fonyete :D

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Yeah, I'm watching out for trains and soccer moms, especially the one's eating cereal as they enter the highway!!!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

That1WhiteGuy

Post by That1WhiteGuy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:02 am

If I were to ever go down the only number I want y'all to call is 911!
Previous bike: 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa motor popped at 47k miles.

Current bike: 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa Blue/Silver