Versys- Almost Perfect and Perfectly Paradoxical

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
Fero-X
Achievement count: 0

Versys- Almost Perfect and Perfectly Paradoxical

Post by Fero-X » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:16 am

I rode the Versys at the Kawasaki event yesterday. Here's my review.

INTRO
The Versys fulfills needs that are seemingly contradictory. It is sporty in performance and handling, yet comfortable, fuel efficient, and at home in the lower end of its power band.

STRENGTHS
Excellent low to mid-range torque. Comfortable on the back and buttocks. Smooth ride with both its front and rear suspension being adjustable. Grunty engine sound from shorty exhaust.

WEAKNESSES
Mainly its substantial height. Price to lesser extent. Nobody would take this supposedly dual sport bike off-road, so the extra clearance is for naught. Also Kryonite.

SUGGESTIONS
Lower bike or lower price, and better yet- lower both!

250r COMPARISON
The Versys is designed for better low to mid-range torque where as the Ninjette has to rev high. The Versys is more comfortable on the back with its more relaxed riding position and more comfortable on the buttocks with its softer seat. It has a smoother throttle response from its digital fuel-injection and smoother ride due to the better suspension. The Versys has dual front brakes where the Ninjette only has one while being capable of top speeds not far from the Versys. 1st gear on the Versys feels like 2nd on the Ninjette, and likewise 5th feels like 6th. It handles almost as well as the Ninjette once you get used to the height, but the Ninjette is still half the price, lower, lighter, more aggressive looking, and gets 8 mpg more. The higher handlebars on the Versys will fatigue your hands and arms faster until you get used to it

OVERALL
They say this is an entry-level bike, but as a beginner myself, I'd have to disagree. Its substantial height complicates the learning curve. This bike is less of a dual sport adventurer and more of an all-road sport-tourer being more sport than tourer, of course. It is sexy in its own unique and pragmatic way. I love the minimal plastic naked look with its sleek curves and hard angles. It is affordable, fuel-efficient, comfortable, and capable. It is at home almost anywhere doing nearly anything. No wonder they can't get enough of it in Europe!

To maximize the comfort, plan to get all the accessories such as the hand guards, taller wider wind screen, and the gel seat which is 2" lower and even softer plus heavier bar ends. Definitely consider the side luggage cases.

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Re: Versys- Almost Perfect and Perfectly Paradoxical

Post by Rhino » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:09 am

Not a bad review.

I can personally attest that the Versys makes a fine tourer. I rode mine from SLC to Seattle and back to Ft. Worth. 4000 miles in 10 days.

If you want a lower, sportier version check out the Ninja 650. Same engine, different frame and full plastics.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:37 am

nice write up!
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:43 am

I knew it could tour, but didn't think it could tour like that. That's amazing! Didn't get to ride the 650r, but the specs tell me it has a higher compression ratio and probably isn't designed for low-end torque that is needed for commuting. And the front fork isn't adjustable or suited for rougher road types. But I'm sure it's far more comfortable than my 250r which broke the skin on my butt after riding it 300 miles over 2 days.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Fero-X wrote:I knew it could tour, but didn't think it could tour like that. That's amazing! Didn't get to ride the 650r, but the specs tell me it has a higher compression ratio and probably isn't designed for low-end torque that is needed for commuting. And the front fork isn't adjustable or suited for rougher road types. But I'm sure it's far more comfortable than my 250r which broke the skin on my butt after riding it 300 miles over 2 days.
650r has good bottom end, makes a fine commuter and will hang with the "other" R's
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:18 pm

If you want a good commuter that will hang with the other "R's", can tour, has "ok" bottom end..... Get a ZX-14!
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:26 pm

DemonDuck wrote:If you want a good commuter that will hang with the other "R's", can tour, has "ok" bottom end..... Get a ZX-14!
As long as the road doesn't bend tho, right? :icon_stickpoke:

:D
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:34 pm

ROFL ... The road can do what it wants... as long as I know I want to end up north of my current position.... I can just throttle through the woods.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Fero-X wrote:I knew it could tour, but didn't think it could tour like that. That's amazing! Didn't get to ride the 650r, but the specs tell me it has a higher compression ratio and probably isn't designed for low-end torque that is needed for commuting. And the front fork isn't adjustable or suited for rougher road types. But I'm sure it's far more comfortable than my 250r which broke the skin on my butt after riding it 300 miles over 2 days.
The Versys fork isn't *that* adjustable. Yeah, you can adjust preload on one fork and compression on the other (I think), but whatever.

As for torque, they're both still parallel twin 650s. Cams only do so much--it's not like one is a John Deere and the other is a F1 car. I'm not sure what you think is "required" for commuting, but if a Ninja 250 is enough (and it is) then either version of the 650 is more than enough.

And yeah, the Versys can tour as well as anything. You just need the right farkles. :cool:

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:21 pm

DemonDuck wrote:If you want a good commuter that will hang with the other "R's", can tour, has "ok" bottom end..... Get a ZX-14!
If only the ZX-14 didn't have all that weight to go with the power. :SideSplittingLaughter:

Besides, gas is expensive enough when you commute. Add in performance awards and you might as well have taken the car. :SideSplittingLaughter:

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:27 pm

DemonDuck wrote:ROFL ... The road can do what it wants... as long as I know I want to end up north of my current position.... I can just throttle through the woods.
North? Man, I'd stick with going east and west. North just takes you up to Yankee land. :SideSplittingLaughter:
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Fero-X

Post by Fero-X » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 pm

I see your point Dave that the Versys and 650r aren't too different, and both are comfortable sport-tourers with good bottom-end, but I argue the slight differences matter. The Versys has better low-end torque, more fork travel, adjustable front suspension, wider seat, more upright sitting position, better fuel economy, and more farkle. You could take both to the track or coast-to-coast, but which bike is better depends on how you plan to use it. I would still like to hop on a 650r for good measure, but I know the Versys is for me.

NickS

Post by NickS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Don't forget the er6n, frame of the Ninja 650, gruntier tuning of the versys.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... 88238.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'10 Kawasaki Z1000

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Fero-X wrote:I see your point Dave that the Versys and 650r aren't too different, and both are comfortable sport-tourers with good bottom-end, but I argue the slight differences matter. The Versys has better low-end torque, more fork travel, adjustable front suspension, wider seat, more upright sitting position, better fuel economy, and more farkle. You could take both to the track or coast-to-coast, but which bike is better depends on how you plan to use it. I would still like to hop on a 650r for good measure, but I know the Versys is for me.
Dont' forget about the Z1000 ninja 1000 B-King and yes, the ZX-14 and busa. More than enough power for "sport" riding with more comfortable ergo's than the 1K and less cc super sports. My first thought when I sat on a busa was damn this is a lot more comfortable than it looks.

While my moto expierence is limited I see it the same way as scuba, you can have a rec rig that works really well for rec, a tech rig that works really well for tech, or one rig that works pretty good for both but you will not find one rig that is totally awesome at both.

For that reason I have a GSXR in the garage, and some day there will be a full blown touring bike out there as well.

I think Dave's got the good setup going, he has the super sport and the pimped long range ride. I wouldn't mind having his versys in my garage but I wouldn't give up my gsxr for it, it would be a nice addition.

If I were going to shoot for middle ground between range and super sport I would take a hard look at the Z1000, B-King, GSX1250, Busa type bikes. Comfy, and in the right hands will walk away from a super sport.

That said, nothing wrong with a 650r, or even a 250r

Someone may need to correct me but I beleive that the busa is sold in europe as a sport touring bike.
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:47 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:I wouldn't mind having his versys in my garage but I wouldn't give up my gsxr for it, it would be a nice addition.
TOTALLY agree.

I *love* my Versys, especially after riding her across the country, but she's just good at everything while being really great at nothing except maybe versatility. If I could have only one bike in the garage, it would be the Versys. But I don't have to have just one, so having a supersport is nice for when I just want excellence in handling. If I had the money there would also be a dirt bike in the garage, and a full-on tourer like a Goldwing. The Versys would still be my daily driver though.

The one thing I've learned from all the bikes I've owned so far is that no bike is perfect. My M50 was pretty, but not comfortable for cross-country. My C14 was the best tourer I've owned so far, but it was too heavy and unwieldy for what I want in a daily driver. The ZX-6R is perfection when it comes to handling and putting a grin on my face, but no way I could ride one across the country. The Versys is a great everyday bike but gets left behind when the speed picks up.

Speaking of fixxer, if you ever want to swap bikes on a ride I'm game. I've never ridden a GSXR and I'm curious to see how a 750 handles.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 am

Dave wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:I wouldn't mind having his versys in my garage but I wouldn't give up my gsxr for it, it would be a nice addition.
TOTALLY agree.

I *love* my Versys, especially after riding her across the country, but she's just good at everything while being really great at nothing except maybe versatility. If I could have only one bike in the garage, it would be the Versys. But I don't have to have just one, so having a supersport is nice for when I just want excellence in handling. If I had the money there would also be a dirt bike in the garage, and a full-on tourer like a Goldwing. The Versys would still be my daily driver though.

The one thing I've learned from all the bikes I've owned so far is that no bike is perfect. My M50 was pretty, but not comfortable for cross-country. My C14 was the best tourer I've owned so far, but it was too heavy and unwieldy for what I want in a daily driver. The ZX-6R is perfection when it comes to handling and putting a grin on my face, but no way I could ride one across the country. The Versys is a great everyday bike but gets left behind when the speed picks up.

Speaking of fixxer, if you ever want to swap bikes on a ride I'm game. I've never ridden a GSXR and I'm curious to see how a 750 handles.
If your curious how a 750 "handles" you may want to wait until I replace my tires as it handles really poorly right now :D

Otherwise I'm game
K1600

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:17 am

I'm really bummed you had such bad luck with 2CT's on your 750. Granted I had at least 50 pounds on you while I was riding my 750 with them, which I'm sure made a bit of difference. I did all of my track days on 2CT's once they came out, and only changed to Dunlop D211's once I started racing.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:23 am

Firewa11 wrote:I'm really bummed you had such bad luck with 2CT's on your 750. Granted I had at least 50 pounds on you while I was riding my 750 with them, which I'm sure made a bit of difference. I did all of my track days on 2CT's once they came out, and only changed to Dunlop D211's once I started racing.
They hold fine at the track, its the street where I have problems. If it was the other way around it would make more sense to me.

I seriously think I"m not leaning over far enough on the street to get to the soft compound.

Talking to some guys on another site one stated he hated the 2CT's becuase the harder compound feedback felt like the tires were letting go when they weren't. That could be the "micro slips" I keep complaining about. Maybe its just the way these feel.

My slides could be just getting too aggresive without being heated up since they do fine at the track after a few laps.
K1600

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 am

Ah, that may be the case. I went through 2CT's like they were candy one summer, between track days and nail punctures. And as far as the micro slips, I do recall having them from time to time, but I also went from Metzler's M-3's that were far worse than 2CT's.

Another thing I noticed about the 2CT's were they weren't very heat-cycle resistant. I would typically replace the tires after 2500 miles, which for me was pretty much the end of life of the tire. And most of my riding while I was on 2CT's was long rides with the club or track days, not much in the way of daily commuting.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage