Rear wheel installation help

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Rear wheel installation help

Post by sckego » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:06 am

So I've got my new tire mounted on the EX250 rear wheel and tried to put it back on tonight. I managed to get it installed just fine when I got new tires prior to the trackday, so I at least kinda know how to do this, but for some reason, I'm having heaps of trouble right now...

First attempt. I reassemble the wheel with the axle inserted from the left, like it was when I bought it. I accidentally reverse the chain adjusters and install them with the thicker portion inboard. I was having trouble getting the axle through, so I went and did some research, and realized that I had them backwards, along with the fact that the maintenance manual shows the axle being inserted from the right side, not the left! Dissasemble and try again.

Second attempt. I manage to knock the brake pads loose in the caliper while trying to get the wheel up. Press pads back into place. Install wheel with the chain adjusters oriented correctly, with the axle inserted from the right side like it's apparently supposed to be. Get everything lined up, adjusted, and tightened, and the rear wheel doesn't want to turn. I can turn it by hand, but it takes effort. On the VFR, I can give the whee a spin, and it makes 2-3 rotations before stopping. On the wheel I just installed, it continues for maybe a quarter-rotation before stopping. I can feel the added resistance when just pushing the bike around. Dissasemble and try again.

Third attempt. I read that sometimes swapping the chain adjusters helps misalignment issues. I do this. I also try just putting the wheel through the axle and spinning it... no problems there, spins easily. Also insert the axle through the swingarm slots, chain adjusters, and spacers. Fits in there easily as well. OK... now try it all together. Again, wheel doesn't want to turn. WTF?

Is it normal for your rear wheel to have resistance like this? I wouldn't think so, it seems like alot of resistance to me, that would generate alot of heat when riding, but I don't know. I'm not used to this dual-sided swingarm stuff. Any suggestions as to what to check? At first I was thinking that I might have bent my axle by trying to shove it through with the backwards chain adjusters, but I don't think I was forcing it enough to do that, and the wheel spun on it just fine when I had it off the bike.

This is why I like SSSAs. :-o
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:48 am

Make sure the spacers are in properly.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:48 am

I agree with you on that it's too much resistance if it "freespins" only 1/4 ~ 1/2 turn with a good shove.
Maybe the brake pads are touching the rotor (since they were bumped and fell out?) Might try compressing them a little.
-
Keep internetting for an exploded view of the assembly.
Stop by the Kawasaki dealership over lunch and lay a good eye on one in the showroom, even ask the mechanic if you can.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-