Stopped by CycleWerkz today

Dr.PorkChop
Achievement count: 0

Stopped by CycleWerkz today

Post by Dr.PorkChop » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Went by there and ordered a new stift lever from Dave and got to talkn to him about trackdays. Asked him if it's normal for the pegs to scrape the ground so he went and got "I think his name is Justin?" to look at and said I need to add a shim in the back cause it was sittn to low and take him about 45min to do it. Not bad for 60 bucks. He said next time I do a trackday have the guy that's usually there doing suspenion setup's to tweek it in between sessons is the bast way to do it.

I really like these guys and I've mentioned them to several people in the last couple of days and I hope their around for a long time.

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Re: Stopped by CycleWerkz today

Post by sckego » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Yeah, Justin is one of the mechanics there. If they shimmed up the rear of the bike, it's going to steer faster and be a bit twitchier then before. I'm not sure to what extent (depends on how drastic the change was), but you also might want to start considering a steering damper if you don't already have one. Also, getting the guys from onroad/offroad to set up your suspension at the track is some good advice. I think it's $30, bring cash, and you can normally get them to do it before the day starts, or in between one of the sessions.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:17 pm

Yup it's $30 cash out at the track to get your suspension adjusted, and that includes tweeking it throughout the day. And might I add, that Roger does an excellent job.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Dr.PorkChop

Post by Dr.PorkChop » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I was thinkn about the stablizer. It has a stock one now so I don't know how much differance it would make than an after market one. Dave had a PC quick shifter setting on the desk and I got to askn him about one of those too. Wish I had about a grand to blow right now.

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:02 am

Your stock stearing damper should work fine. If I were you, I would not worry about geting an aftermarket one, chance is that you would not get much extra benefit from getting a different one.
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 pm

If you have a damper now, you should be fine. Unless your bike for some reason has a lowering link installed, take that money and put it towards aftermarket rear sets that move the pegs up and back. CFM/Woodcraft is a great choice. Raising links/Shock shims can mess with the shock linkage ratios, and rear height is not the reason you are dragging pegs. Chances are you just need a good suspension setup. Dynamic ride height is completely different from static, so if you are bottoming from a poorly set up suspension, you are not fixing anything by raising the rear. Too much rebound damping and too little compression damping are both things that can cause squatting under load, and can both be addressed by paying Roger from OR/OR $30 next time you are at the track. Also, Roger from OR/OR will do you wonders for $30. He has been my mentor since I started racing, and has done a lot for me!
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:36 am

could also have nothing to do with the bike, but be a result of your body position in turns.

Dr.PorkChop

Post by Dr.PorkChop » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:28 pm

I was thinkn about that as well. Justin was sayn gixxers around that year moddle usually required a shim.

I can mostly definitely tell a difference ride'n to and from work. Noticed it doesn't have to lean over as much around curves running down Fall Creek HWY. It's like I got to get use to it again.