bike height an suspension

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
jccj300
Achievement count: 0

bike height an suspension

Post by jccj300 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:35 am

hey guys i have a question.. albeit may be a stupid question.. i was told there are no stupid questions just ask ..
Ihave an 01 gsxr 750 i am 5'10 about 138lbs,, my suspension seems to need to warm up eg. when i first get on it.. i can only reach tip toe both feet but after i ride a miloe or two i can flat foot it.. this seems very odd to me.. cause i know the oil in shocks shouldnt get warm when i ride.... also when i get on the bike the suspension doosent sag at all.. meaning obviousy it was set up for a heavyer rider... do i losen the rear spring colar a few clicks and how much shoulod the bike drop when i sit on it.... and what do i do in the front.... a link woud be helpfull or just someone tell me what i need to do .. dont have the money to get my suspention done at this time just wondering what I can do tilol i have the funds to go to track day and pay thirty bux n get it setup right thanx in advance
johnny
01 gixxer 750 full yoshi pc3 frame sliders 20k

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1541110243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djrtx

Re: bike height an suspension

Post by djrtx » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 am

Your suspension isn't changing. Everyone knows that when you ride a motorcycle, you get taller and better looking.
Daniel J. Roe
Fort Worth, Texas

Current bikes
2003 Honda ST1300
2011 Honda CB1000R

Former bikes
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2008 KTM SuperDuke R

jccj300

Post by jccj300 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:33 am

we sure do lol

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:50 am

Take a look in the Bike Mainenance section of the forums. There's a sticky for a Suspension Tuning Guide if you want to adjust it yourself. Or you can take it to CycleWerkz and they will do it for $20 or $25. They would also be able to tell you if you need new fork oil or possibly explain the reason for the suspension loosening up after you ride it for awhile.

Do '01 GSXR 750s have a rather wide seat? I'm 5'10" and I've always been able to flat foot every bike I've road, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem there.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

jccj300

Post by jccj300 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 am

wide seat dont know what to compare it to ... not near as wide as my shadow 1100 lol.... speaking of seats omfg i went to pick up my wife yesterday and had the cowl on ... sheesh my nutz r lose now lol but we both fit .. me n her together weigh less than 280.. dont you hate that tap tap tap when spedo reaches over 120 ...2 up lol... ouch

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:54 am

Unfortunately Cycle Werkz no longer does suspension setups. I just confirmed that with Dave.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:31 am

bummer, next best bet is to catch Roger at a track day.

jccj300

Post by jccj300 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:20 pm

cool thanx... i have been researching this all morning... i usta race nitro rc cars and the suspension rule was .. ready to race you wanted the suspension right in the middle of the shock travel ... and all i have read was in milimeters.... finnaly i found something that says when u get on the bike the rear should be compressed a third of full travel .... so i put the bike on the stand divide travel into thirds and mark 1/3 of travel adjust preload to where thats where it is when i sit on it.... should that be where i start till i can go to track n get it fully adjusted professionaly?? it feels wierd riding on top without compressing rear shock at all... thanx for the tips and advice in advance
Johnny

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:12 pm

The rule for setting height (aka preload) is to go by sag. Static sag is the difference from topped out to sitting without rider. Rider sag is the difference from static sag to when you sit on it. Good starting points are 10mm for static and 35mm for rider. If you cannot get both of these at least close, the only solution is to change the spring(s). Plot your rider sag against your static sag to get your current spring rate and adjust accordingly to figure out what springs you need. After getting the right springs in, begin working on matching the damping front to rear (assuming you have "fresh" suspension bits and no leaks) and then finally you can adjust the sag more meticulously to fine tune the bike to your liking. You will end up with a setup that will likely be night and day from how the bike feels now. You can go even further and make adjustments based on tire wear and/or how the bike feels (dynamic sag) but thats taking it further than most care or need to.

Obviously it can get a bit in-depth, and I don't want to get into trying to explain matching the damping on here. Best bet is to try to figure out the sag and spring situation on your own, and once it is good, sign up for a track day (or just stop by) and let Roger Albert from On-Road Off-Road get it all set up for you (for $25). I would also be happy to take a look at it sometime, if I ever get free from school long enough to even think about making it out to some events.

Good luck getting it all fixed up if you should decide to go as in-depth as I have explained!
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

jccj300

Post by jccj300 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:00 am

well like i said when i sit on bike she drops zero mms in the rear and the ft.. i took out the old hammer and flat punch and turned the collar about three turns in the rear now it at least knows i am on the bike ,,, havent rode it yet like this just didnt think it was right riding at rear shock fully extended... now for the ft ... what do the two lil adjusters on top do,, rebound? .. i dont wanna mess anything up just would like to ride and not feel like i am riding a rigid ya know

ps but i am drinking milk so one day i will weigh enough to compress shocks n not feel every lil dimple in rd lol

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:55 pm

I believe it varries from bike to bike, but the "screws" on the top are either compression or rebound and the bottom is the other. The "nut" on the top is for setting up static sag/pre-load.

jccj300

Post by jccj300 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:28 am

aight thanx
Johnny