Kegan's Motocamping Adventure to Highway 36

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Kegan's Motocamping Adventure to Highway 36

Post by sckego » Mon May 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Friday started off pretty much as with any other day, except for the whole “wake up at 4AM to take wifey and in-laws to SFO” thing. Other than that, it was off to work, do enginerd-type stuff, look at clock, drum fingertips, do more stuff... until I couldn’t sit around any longer. 4PM on a Friday afternoon? Good enough. Lucky there’s already a tent strapped to the pillion and a topbox full of everything else I’ll need. Work, I’ll see you on Monday. It’s time to ride.

Not much to say about the ride north, other than that there was a lot of traffic. I crossed the Benicia Bridge at around 5, then treated myself to a bit of Berryessa fun on Wooden Valley-121-128, reaching the Silverado Trail at Rutherford at about 6. I was surprised at how few cars there were on the Berryessa roads for a Friday afternoon. Also, why can’t the paving crews down here in Southbay figure out how to pave a road like the ones up north? Mile after mile of glassy smooth, perfect asphalt. Yum.

Made a quick stop in Calistoga for a pic, before heading north on 29.

On 29, I found all that traffic that was missing earlier. Managed to have some fun in the double-lane passing zones, but for the most part it was a steady train of cars heading over the hill. I eventually made it to Middletown and split off on 175, heading northwest for Cobb.

Along 175 was occurence #1 of my life flashing before my eyes. I was just coming into a blind left-hand bend when all of a sudden I was faced with a police Crown Vic, in my lane, lights on, coming straight at me. I was doing around 60, he was probably doing a bit more then that, and there wasn’t even time to think. I just instinctively edged to the right (I was already towards the right to set up for the turn, this probably saved my bacon), and he swerved back over partially in to his lane, and we blew by each other with a couple feet of clearance. Were I in a cage it would have been a head-on. I’m still kind of freaked out just recalling it. Just behind the cop was a black civic that had no shoulder to pull on to to let the cop by, so he just decided to use the oncoming lane in a blind corner. Nice, right?

I continued north as I attempted to unclench every muscle in my body (some clenched more than others), turning back onto 29 and pausing in Lakeport to grab a sandwich from Subway. Then on past Upper Lake and into the Mendocino National Forest to Middlecreek campground. I arrived around 8, just as dusk was falling, and quickly set up camp and chowed down my dinner. The moon (biggest one in 200 years, I hear) was just rising over the ridge above camp.

I made an early night of it and was asleep by a bit past 9; it had been a long day (remember that early wake-up this morning?) and I wanted to get another early start tomorrow. I’d done around 180 miles in four hours since leaving work, and tomorrow I’d be able to jump straight into the fun stuff.

Map
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Re: Kegan's Motocamping Adventure to Highway 36

Post by sckego » Mon May 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I was awake very early on Saturday morning, and was packed up and on the road by sunrise. In retrospect, maybe I should have stayed in bed a bit longer, since I lost a lot of time stopping for breaks to try and warm myself up.

Steam rising into the ~35*F air from a pond along the road to Middlecreek:

I took Highway 20 west, making for the coast at Fort Bragg. It warmed up a little after I crossed 101, and some more as I descended towards CA-1. By the time I reached Fort Bragg, the sun was high and it was a balmy 50*F.

I swung northwards onto Highway 1, tracing the zigs and zags up the coast. There was one great section just before it turns inland, where I could see the road stretching out along the cliff faces into the distance, and past that, the Lost Coast stretching west out into the sea.

There was a great deal of fun to be had on the final stretch of 1 as it climbed up to Leggett.

Eventually CA-1 dead-ends into US-101, and it’s back on to the major highway for the next 70 miles.

At about 11:45, just north of Rio Dell, I broke off of 101 to the east, ready to enjoy the highlight of the trip: 140 miles of Highway 36, all the way to I-5 at Red Bluff.

36 has some of just about everything along its length... tight twisties, open sweepers, cliffside esses, whoops, steep climbs, sharp descents, and quite a bit of flat-and-straight riding. The only thing it doesn’t have is dirt, and a goat-trail section. There is one bit with no center divider, but the pavement is perfectly smooth and road is nice and wide... throw in the elevation changes through that bit, and that was one of my favorite parts.

There are some pretty nice views of the Trinity Alps off to the north, as well.

I reached I-5 at Red Bluff a bit before 3, and found a nice little deli to have some lunch.

Plan A was to head back along 36 and camp in one of the national forest campgrounds I had scouted out on my way over, the finish the ride back to the coast on Sunday morning. However, I was making pretty good time, and started thinking about Plan B... ride all the way back over today, crash on my cousin’s couch in Eureka, and then to 36 *again* tomorrow before taking the inland route back south. Riding 36 three times in 12 hours would be pretty epic. Sadly, cousin dearest doesn’t answer her phone, and since I’m not even sure if she’s home, I decide to stick to Plan A.

Of course, I had to stop at The Sign just outside of Red Bluff for a picture.

Much of the eastern portion of 36 is just gentle curves and nice whoops through the low hills and pastureland.

Soon after getting back into the mountains, I turned off onto White Rock Rd, which took me to Basin Gulch campground. I had stopped in to check it out on my first pass on 36, and it looked like a nice enough place to spend the night.

It was only about 5:30, meaning I had a few hours of daylight left to kick around the campground and relax in the beautiful evening.

Hah, I’m just fucking with you. Let’s go riding!

A few miles west of the campground, Wildwood road splits off to the north. It’s not a full-on goat trail, but getting there. There were a few items on the road surface that called for additional care while riding, like dust, gravel, and bottles of piss.

I saw a sign for “Natural Bridge, 1 mile” and decided to go check it out. The rough dirt road dead-ended at a deserted campsite with no signage. I figured it was some kind of local practical joke and the “natural bridge” was the water crossing I had just come through. Apparently the bridge was a short walk from the dead-end, and I completely missed it.

Then it was back to the Wildwood Road, then left on Highway 3 to Hayfork and back south to 36 again.

Got back to camp at around 7, and this time I did just kick around and relax for a while.

A bunch of dirt riders from Red Bluff were camped out near me on their 28th annual “Good Friday” ride. They were very hospitable and insisted that I join them for dinner and drinks. Steak, potatoes, green beans with bacon, gorgonzola-garlic bread, and whisky. Damn, these guys know how to camp. I need to figure out where next year’s ride is going to be and show up to that one too!

I hit the sack at around 11, thinking I would sleep in a bit tomorrow to let the day warm up a bit before heading out. I had done about 450 fun, twisty miles today, and was looking forward to another full day tomorrow.

Map
Kegan "Glowstick"

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by sckego » Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I was packed up and ready to go by shortly past 7 on Sunday morning. It was still chilly, but not nearly as cold as Middlecreek yesterday.

The most intimidating road name ever?

Cliffside esses along 36.

The Lassic Peaks as seen from a vista point.

I stopped in Mad River for a bite of breakfast and coffee. The breakfast sandwich was pretty good, the coffee was like lightly-flavored water. It warmed my hands decently enough, but it wasn’t even worth drinking and most of it ended up in the trash.

I reached US-101 again at about 11 and turned south for home. Adios, 36!

I decided to split off onto Highway 1 again and take that all the way back to the Bay.

In the twisties north of Fort Bragg, I noticed my rear tire acting a bit squirrely sometimes. I stopped to check the pressure (which was fine) and noticed that I was severely lacking in tread depth. This tire had tons of rubber when I left... shoot. I figure it’s probably better to play it safe and get back to 101, rather than stay on the coast all the way south. At 128, I cut back inland towards the main highway.

Along 128, I encounter occurrence #2 of my life flashing before my eyes. I was coming around a tight lefthander in one of the very hilly sections, positioned at about the halfway point of my lane, when a giant pick up towing a gooseneck camper comes tearing down the hill, well into my lane. I had barely enough room to clear the truck, and I definitely didn’t want to stand up and run wide, since there was nothing but cliff to the outside of the turn, so I just held my line as best I could. Then came the trailer... pretty sure I ducked my head right *under* the forward corner. Fuck, that was close.

I reach 101 at Cloverdale and turn south for home. It’s pretty hot inland, and I take a quick *$ break for an iced coffee and to shed some layers. I’ve been being very good with the throttle, and my rear tire looks like it should get me home OK. Down across the Golden Gate, through the city, a quick zip along 280, and I’m home. About 400 miles on the day, 1030 total for the trip, including both directions along 36 and the northern stretch of CA-1. What a great way to waste some gas and kill some tires!

Map
Kegan "Glowstick"

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Mon May 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Very cool trip, Kegan! Thanks for the pics. Is my screen playing tricks on me, or did you go a bit heavy on the saturation in some of those pics?
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Awesome write-up dude! I drove 101 and 1, would love to ride it though! Beautiful country out there!!!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Fun times!
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon May 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Striple wrote:Very cool trip, Kegan! Thanks for the pics. Is my screen playing tricks on me, or did you go a bit heavy on the saturation in some of those pics?
Yeah, colors looked a bit off on my screen for a couple of them as well.

Cool write up. I was just thinking this morning that it's been awhile since we had one from ya.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by sckego » Mon May 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Striple wrote:Very cool trip, Kegan! Thanks for the pics. Is my screen playing tricks on me, or did you go a bit heavy on the saturation in some of those pics?
Yeah, I was playing with a new HDR app I got for my phone. The results were less then optimal... oh well.
Kegan "Glowstick"

Valentina
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 0

Post by Valentina » Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 am

Sweet!The pics are awesome!!!Great journey!Thanks for sharing! :-D
Stop chasing shadows just enjoy the ride.

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 am

You have some of the best write ups. I always enjoy them
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 pm

I didn't think the colors were off, just that California is differnet is all.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Great write-up! Looks and sounds like you had a great ride, minus the 2 "oh crap" moments.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 am

Great pics and write-up man. Now I want to go on a trip.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 am

Another terrific write-up!
Revved up like a douche.