Do you have what it takes? Paying it forward

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Do you have what it takes? Paying it forward

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Years ago I purchased my first motorcycle, a Suzuki Katana - I didn't know anything about motorcycles, but I somehow managed not to destroy that machine.

Fast forward - I decided to try out a club, FWMR, I figured if these guys are crazy I'll just break off and go home. I'll admit, when I first looked at sportbike clubs my first thoughts were of youtube videos showing people flying down freeways between cars at horrendous speeds so I was very hesitant to show up, but one day I did, I don't regret it.

In my time with the club I've become a faster rider, a safer rider, a smarter rider, and I've learned a lot about motorcycles that I would have had a hard time learning any other way. I owe this to those who came before me and those that put in the time and effort to pay it forward. I now find myself in their situation where I'm putting in time and effort to pay it forward to others - this is my payment to the club for the value it has provided to me. This process is what keeps the community going strong, many of us volunteer our time for free for no other reason than to keep the process going, to give back.

If you find that the club is providing you value, if you feel like you’re learning something or improving your skills in anyway, then consider paying it forward yourself. This can be as simple as passing on the knowledge you have learned to others around you, or you may be interested in volunteering your time.

FWMR has an open path to leadership, for those of you that didn’t know, or are maybe thinking of volunteering your time to help pay it forward, here is the path to FWMR Leadership

http://www.fwmr.net/ClubStructure.php

1. Forum Member – The first step, signing up on the boards, once you do that you're part of FWMR. The only thing that is asked of you is that you follow the rules and uphold the club values to not put anyone else in danger.

2. Club Member – FWMR has some minor expenses as a club, those who choose to help support the club become dues paying club members. This is not a requirement, you can sign up for free and take advantage of a lot of what the club has to offer. For those that choose to support the club we try to put on a few special events/rides per year to give back. All staff are volunteers, all of the money that goes into the club goes to the club and to the club members; it doesn’t make it into anyone’s pockets.

3. Ride Leader – The first level of leadership, the life blood and face of the club, these individuals volunteer their time to put on rides, without them we wouldn’t be much of club now would we?

4. Staff – There are two levels of staff that volunteer their time and coordinate events. As an example, Matt has put in quite a bit of time and effort getting our boards back up to snuff.

If your wanting to have a say in the governance of the club, or if you're interested in paying it forward then I say consider how you would like to do that, you can simply share with those around you, or consider a leadership role in the club.

Keep it shiny side up!
K1600

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Re: Do you have what it takes? Paying it forward

Post by fartymarty » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:26 am

Nope, I don't have what it takes, but I would like to help support the club.

When I first went to a bike night and and then on a club ride, I was very impressed with the club. The no squid zone/safety mentality, the AAH participation (RIP) the friendly sniping on the forum (as opposed to the passive aggresive or outright aggressive posts as seen on many forums) , the structured path to membership, all made me realize that this was a quality organization that I would like to be associated with. However, I am somewhat out of step with the club in many areas, I don't see me ever buying or wearing leathers, I am older than the typical member, I don't really like track riding (tried it once, too much deja vu and blue tape) so no I have no plans to become a meatball. I do thank you all for welcoming me on rides and events and I would like to maintain the relationship with the group even if I don't show up much. I have no idea what the dues are for members, so I don't know if my level of support will even come close, but I would like to help support the club financially and I will be sending El Presidente and our smiley faced treasurer :D a pm to see how to best set that up on a monthly or yearly basis.

So yeah, my response aside, some of you young guns forum only members should step up and take the leadership path and pay it forward. Rick's not getting any younger... :-)

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by turismon » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:24 pm

You don't have to wear leathers to be a meatball :p. Meatball only is a prerequisite to becoming a member showing that you are a somewhat consistent rider that shows interest in becoming A member. That's pretty much it. Don't have to track or wear leathers at all to become a member. Just show up for 4 rides then pass the squid vote then Pay your dues to become a member and continue to ride with club! Pretty easy! Could just be a career moderate club rider if that's your desire ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Daytona 675r
Retired: Ninja 650R

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Correct, leather is not required, just a reasonable level of protective gear.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:55 pm

fartymarty wrote: 1. I don't see me ever buying or wearing leathers
2. I am older than the typical member
3. I don't really like track riding (tried it once, too much deja vu and blue tape)
4. I have no plans to become a meatball.
5. I have no idea what the dues are for members
For each one:
1. Leathers are not required, we just recommend them for the faster rides (required for advanced and track)
2. There are no age restrictions
3. We are not a track club, there is no requirement in track participation, we just encourage it for people to improve their skills - but track isn't for everyone.
4. That's perfectly fine, your more than welcome to show up as much as you want without becoming a meatball.
5. Dues are $40.00/year assuming you have no overnight credits, with maximum credits dues are only $20.00/year

Your one of the more experienced riders that come around and you lay down some serious mileage, you have more touring experience then several of us in the club combined, sharing your experiences and knowledge around that imo is a significant value add to those around you. I hesitate to post rides in the 350 to 500 mile range due to fear of fatigue causing safety issues, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with you on a ride like that.
K1600

Pooty
Achievement count: 0

Post by Pooty » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:13 am

I feel leaders are born. Some have to work at it more, but still born.
Don't feel I was gifted at birth.
But I have tried to pay it forward, and will continue.
I know my riding days are numbered.
Try to make each ride I can. Health is an issue also.
I have paid for a meatball's first track day, he got his first girlfriend and we haven't seen him in about a year.
Not going into all I've done, just an example.
I think Rick is a great club president, hope he gets another term if he wants.
Thank you for spending a whole day with me on techniques.
Thank all for donating your time and making this the best club.

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:07 am

Pooty wrote: I have paid for a meatball's first track day, he got his first girlfriend and we haven't seen him in about a year.
So you forgot to tell all the girls at the track that he was gay? I thought that was standard treatment for a meatball. :-)

Pooty

Post by Pooty » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:13 am

Ha, yes Marty I forgot.
That's ok, I sure remember my first sweetheart
I bet y'all do too

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:10 am

I married mine
K1600

WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Post by WickerMan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:26 am

I'm happy to help out. I made every trash pick-up I could, I feel community service is important, and that's why I brought my daughter every time I could. Now that this part is no longer available, I'm happy to chip in the yearly contribution to help keep the club going.

I would ask to join, but my participation is just to sporadic, I feel, to be a full member. So I would rather be a occasional hanger on since that is ok with y'all. I appreciate talking to Rick about Cresson and all the questions I asked Jim when we picked up trash together, and all the other nice people I met and talked to. And I like looking at the forums and being able to ask questions or express myself.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:16 am

Just to be clear, financially the club is doing ok. Anyone that wants to help out in that manner, great, but the big thing we need is people getting more involved in the leadership, specifically people becoming ride leaders.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by toy752 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:51 am

I would love to pay my knowledge forward but am still working on my requirements on becoming a ride leader. Summer is a busy time for me since I am putting on personal watercraft races. I hope this fall will slow down enough that I am able to finish my requirements.
SV 650 track bike
Sure do miss this one 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r
Gone but not forgotten 2012 Ninja 1000

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:14 am

toy752 wrote:I would love to pay my knowledge forward but am still working on my requirements on becoming a ride leader. Summer is a busy time for me since I am putting on personal watercraft races. I hope this fall will slow down enough that I am able to finish my requirements.
Lend me your bike and helmet...I'll get it finished for you.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK