SV650 mods

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

SV650 mods

Post by shilka99 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:32 am

Heres a fun little project I just finished - fitting a 5.5" rear wheel from a 2006 GSX-R750 to a 2004 SV650.
The reason for this? I've been rolling off the edge of the stock 160/70 tire with only mildly aggressive riding on the road so I need some more rubber.
I've kept the stock parts so that when i get to the track on the 28th I can switch wheels between sessions and my data logger can tell me which setup gives better corner speeds and lap times in addition to the seat-of-the-pants feedback.

Anyway, the whole process started when I found a 180 conversion kit on ebay. The seller was selling captured spacers and machining services to modify the buyers own stock SV parts to make the process easy.

I have a cnc mill (but no lathe) so I just ordered the spacers for a nice big discount and the seller was generous enough to provide me with the dimensions to modify the cush drive and caliper carrier. Funny thing - these dimensions turned out to be wrong, by 7mm, or about 50%. More on that later.

Anyway, once I ordered the spacers I started hunting for a wheel on eBay. I found a bargain - $79 for a wheel in perfect condition, including tire, cush drive, disc and cheap shipping ($30). It was even the perfect colour.
Next up I ordered a spare caliper carrier for $15. This is so i can swap wheels in only a few minutes.
I then chucked the carrier in the mill and reduced the thickness by the amount specified by the ebay seller.

I did the same on the cush drive. (I dont have a rotary table, and my mill is small so i had to do the cush in sections so its not pretty. When i find the right table I'll get another cush and do it right)
The spacers were just about perfect so once all the machining was done I was looking forward to assembling everything. Well, lets just say that after some fiddling and fussing and much head scratching I realised it just wasnt going to work. I measured everything to verify the numbers I was given and found that the total length of all 4 spacers was more than the width of the swingarm. Not good.

After removing another 7mm from the caliper carrier the wheel slid in perfectly. Now there is about 1mm difference in the position of the sprocket relative to the stock wheel. I can live with that.

So thats it for this mod. Next up is some custom made rearsets. I'd like to have these done for the track day but I have a lot of other things to work on.
Before this project I fitted a GSX-R1000 shock:

(nearly perfect spring weight to suit me), and of course the whole front end from a GSX-R1000 (again, springs nearly perfect for my weight) then adapted a custom made hall-effect sensor to the stock wiring harness so the speedo will work.

One last thing was the battery. The GSX-R shock intrudes into the stock battery box. I spoke to Grinner about his battery and liked the idea but not the $230 pricetag. I did some research and found the LiFePo cells from his battery for sale by the dozen. I made up 2 packs and fitted them in the tail section. The data logger will keep track of the charge/discharge current, as well as monitoring temps until I know everything is running fine.

This pair of batteries weighs 1/4 of a standard Pb-acid battery and are half the size. And the 2 even cost less if you know how to build them!

PM me if you want any more details.
Shaun.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:04 am

Great write-up Shaun, great pics. My race bike battery is dead... and I need a replacement. I like the idea of the LiPo conversion, both for weight savings and cost savings. Please let me know how battery testing goes. I'd really love to swap out...

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:21 am

Ill chime in on the battery swap...
I am actually running the 4 cell setup and so far everything works great. I have pics of the battery box but will have to post later as they are on my home computer. AWESOME weight savings and so far no problems in the rain either. I have been meaning to do a write up but my real life has dictated otherwise so I will just have to do one later after I get this stuff settled down.

Also Shaun...Looking good my friend, we need to get together and swap some stories sometime>
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

mattjmartin
Achievement count: 0

Post by mattjmartin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Looks great. Tire choice is another great reason to switch to a 5.5" rear rim! There are SO many more tires to choose from in the 180 size than there are in the 160 size.

Also, what rear sets are you running? With risers, 2nd gen plates (1/2" higher than first gen "S") and shorter pegs, I still drag the pegs before I run off of the edge of the tire (Dunlop Roadsmart in street days and Pilot Powers and Pilot 1800 Slicks in track days). I can't get rid of my chicken strips if I wanted to!

Are you sure your tires weren't getting greasy on the edges and sliding or hopping from an improperly setup rear shock? It is hard to believe that 2nd Gen SVs have THAT much more cornering clearance.

In any case, I am looking forward to your feedback from the tire. I may do it in the future.

We need to run some laps together out at ECR at the Club trackday! :D :))

EDIT: Would you mind posting up some links to your battery? Where to buy cells, instructions, etc...
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:13 pm

Hey Matt,
I have a raised rear ride height to quicken the steering, and I made some custom risers for my rearsets. Having said that, the shock may well have been the issue. Hence the new GSX-R1000 shock. I could have gone for an Ohlins or Fox, but they are $800-$1200 and the stock GSX-R unit was $75. Didn't take me long to make that decision... Either way, the problem should be licked.

Regarding the battery, I bought the cells on eBay but the buyer doesnt have any listed now. However, here is another source:
http://www.battlepack.com/LiFEPO4.asp

For a little extra these guys can solder the pack and heat-shrink it and put the plug of your choice on it.

If you prefer the DIY route, start with this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-DC9360-R-H-D ... 286.c0.m14

This has 8 of the cells I used (highest discharge rate. anything less can overheat during startup).
Its a simple process:
open the pack, cut 2 tabs and solder on the cables and plug of your choice. I made two packs with 4 cells each just to make it easier to fit them in tight places, and plug them both into a parallel connector wired to the battery cables. This also allows me to unplug both packs and take them dirt riding. The KTM only needs one so I switch them at lunch time as it has no charging system.

If you need more specific details PM me.

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Hey Grinner - will you be at the next bike night? I'll be there on my bike. Hope to see you there too.

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:03 am

Firewa11 wrote:Great write-up Shaun, great pics. My race bike battery is dead... and I need a replacement. I like the idea of the LiPo conversion, both for weight savings and cost savings. Please let me know how battery testing goes. I'd really love to swap out...
I have learned a lot from him via PM recently, and see no reason why these would not be better in every aspect than a lead acid unit. The cells used in these conversions are made by A123. Coincidentally, DeWalt uses 8 of these cells in their 28V lipo battery pack!

Toolking.com (great service) has the dewalt pack for $50, and all else you would need is wiring and terminals! I just figured I would share, as it comes out cheaper than a standard battery for superior technology.

http://www.toolking.com/DeWalt_DC9280.aspx

Get it while it lasts!
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Grinner

Post by Grinner » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:32 pm

rc30fan wrote:Hey Grinner - will you be at the next bike night? I'll be there on my bike. Hope to see you there too.
Sure will! Hopin and prayin for no rain so I can ride. Lookin forward to meeting ya and checkin out the SV!
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:23 am

Grinner wrote:
rc30fan wrote:Hey Grinner - will you be at the next bike night? I'll be there on my bike. Hope to see you there too.
Sure will! Hopin and prayin for no rain so I can ride. Lookin forward to meeting ya and checkin out the SV!
I still got your damper and rotor magnets/holders in my trunk!
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:46 am

I finally managed a short ride with my new mods yesterday. I made sure the data logger was monitoring the batteries to verify what I was told by carbon-speed.com - that the LiFePO4 cells could cope with the charging current fed to them by a motorcycle charging system.
Here is a 30 minute temp chart - taken yesterday afternoon when ambient temp was around 90 degrees:

Everything looks fine. Theres no battery current trace as I think I pulled the sensor from the logger when I closed the rear seat cover. I'll get another reading next time.

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:34 pm

I ain't got no fancy loggers or anything, but it started the bike all day at the track and survived a nice little "off"!
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Guess you survived your little off road excursion ... you're really getting into it, Matt. :D Hope I can catch you on the track soon to watch. :-o
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Bird wrote:Guess you survived your little off road excursion ... you're really getting into it, Matt. :D Hope I can catch you on the track soon to watch. :-o
cmon... I'm on an SV and were gonna be at ECR. If you and your liter bike can't keep up with the new kid on the slow bike at a fast track, you may as well give up! :)
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Grinner

Post by Grinner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:40 am

:shock:

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:22 am

I think you may be surprised at how well a smaller bike can run at ECR. The 2 long straights might hurt you some but it's amazing how much speed smaller bikes can carry through the corners and on into the straights.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:00 pm

mattjmartin wrote:
Bird wrote:Guess you survived your little off road excursion ... you're really getting into it, Matt. :D Hope I can catch you on the track soon to watch. :-o
cmon... I'm on an SV and were gonna be at ECR. If you and your liter bike can't keep up with the new kid on the slow bike at a fast track, you may as well give up! :)
Youngster, we'll see if you're still on the track in 30 years! :-o Here I was trying to be nice ... now I'll just have to blow your wheels off.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:01 pm

Bird wrote:
mattjmartin wrote:
Youngster, we'll see if you're still on the track in 30 years! :-o Here I was trying to be nice ... now I'll just have to blow your wheels off.
I know for a fact that you are faster than me, I just wanted to give you hell. It would be nice to follow you and everyone else around some though to doing some studying though.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

Bird

Post by Bird » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Catch you next weekend at ECR. :D Looks like we're going to have a good turn out.
Mike

Grinner

Post by Grinner » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:03 pm

have an update on my end about this battery...

The four cell is perfectly fine on the SV650 for the majority of the riding season...just as long as the temp is above around 70F deg or I get her fired off and keep her warm.

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

risers

Post by shilka99 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Here are the rearset risers i made to lift my pegs by as much as 3 inches:

I didnt have them fitted for the track day as I stripped out the shift rod I made in Aluminum. As soon as I can get some 6mm steel rod I'll be putting them back on.

Bird

Post by Bird » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Firewa11 wrote:Great write-up Shaun, great pics. My race bike battery is dead... and I need a replacement. I like the idea of the LiPo conversion, both for weight savings and cost savings. Please let me know how battery testing goes. I'd really love to swap out...

Don, I was dead in the water a month or so ago with my battery. Went and got a new one, but the old one was tested and showed to be fine... just needed a slow charge (which I've since done). If you want it, you can have it for your race bike. Just put the trickle charger on it and you should be fine. Let me know if you want it and I'll bring it to bike night.
Mike

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:38 am

Man I would appreciate that greatly!

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:44 am

Shaun, I think I am going to sell the wheel I have and go with a newer one. The wheel I have is about 7mm wider on the right side than the newer wheels, so that would mean I would probably have to have a whole new caliper carrier machined.

Do you still have the measurements you took from your spacers handy? Zoran from Twin Works Factory will produce some spacers for me at a great price, as long as I provide specs.

You can still machine my caliper carrier and cush drive, right?
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:44 am

If you get a 5.5" wheel from a '06-'07 I can give you the dimensions from my setup. And I can modify your carrier and cush drive no problem. Just let me know when you need them.

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:00 am

07-09 all have identical hub dimensions, so that it what i am looking for.

Also, i believe my swing arm is slightly narrower than yours, being that it is a first gen. That would simply mean taking the difference from the swing arms off of the left spacer, since alignment measurements are all taken from the right, correct?
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6