The Q2 review

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

The Q2 review

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Got my new shoes put on, thanks to cycle werkz.

Right away I missed the V shape of the 2CT's so I'll have to get used to these.

Of course they are not scrubbed in yet so I was taking it easy then I decided to play to see just how much it would take to break these things free while not scrubbed in. I was impressed with how aggressive I had to get with them to let loose in the first 10 miles.

"Tested" the slipper clutch and the rear tire chattered, did a u turn and some hard accell then another u-turn and tried again, then all was right with the world, it works again!!!

This may sound crazy but these things already feel like they grip better, makes me want to rip again but I need to scrub em first so I'm resisting the urge :)

I asked about what may be wrong with the 2CT's and Dave asked about how many miles I had on them, I told him and he said they are probably just getting to their end of life. I left the 2CT's there as I didn't have a way to transport them back, I was hot and just wanted to leave so I have no tires for sale.

Dave said it would be mean to sell them anyway :-)
K1600

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Re: The Q2 review

Post by Striple » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 pm

I'd like to see your comprehensive review in about 3,000 miles. By then you will have had more ample opportunity to evaluate the tire in a number of aspects.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Striple wrote:I'd like to see your comprehensive review in about 3,000 miles. By then you will have had more ample opportunity to evaluate the tire in a number of aspects.
Will do, I'll keep this thread up to date, looking forward to cresson with these, maybe I'll be able to turn right hehe
K1600

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:57 pm

I'll add my 2 cents too, should be getting a set next weekend!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Update - ran down through venus at moderate speeds, stopped off at a gas station and after waiting quite a while I touched my tires and they were HOT, like not warm, HOT, after sitting a while, hotter than my 2CT's right off the road, I found that interesting.

On my way to the alien landing site in Irving tonight there are a few turns I ALWAYS slide a little bit in, tonight, nada.

so I'm about 200 miles in and so far I'm quite pleased, I still have significant chicken strip left so the story is not finished but so far, big improvement for me.

I have a few more tests left:

How do they do following darc on "his" roads
How do they do on the track
How long will they last
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:20 am

I will add my 2 cent as well. I got mine on Thursday. I have about 100 miles on them now and I will get alot more agressive soon. But before scrub in is complete these things feel very different from the pirellis or the 2ct's. They seem like they dont want to let the wheel turn much and feel stable in a way because of that. But it also seems to make it a snap to throw over from side to side. It seems to make the bike feel lighter and easier to throw into the corners than any of my prior tires. Not sure how to explain it but it feels good so far. Took a few miles to get used to it but I think this might be a really great thing for me.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:21 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:Update - ran down through venus at moderate speeds, stopped off at a gas station and after waiting quite a while I touched my tires and they were HOT, like not warm, HOT, after sitting a while, hotter than my 2CT's right off the road, I found that interesting.

On my way to the alien landing site in Irving tonight there are a few turns I ALWAYS slide a little bit in, tonight, nada.

so I'm about 200 miles in and so far I'm quite pleased, I still have significant chicken strip left so the story is not finished but so far, big improvement for me.

I have a few more tests left:

How do they do following darc on "his" roads
How do they do on the track
How long will they last
You might want to double check your pressures. If they are getting that hot you may have them too low and you'll heat cycle the life out of them and they'll be just like your Power 2CTs were in no time flat.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Tires say 42, I just checked I'm at 41.5

Should I up it since I'm slightly fluffy?
K1600

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Don't go over what the tire is rated for (the number on the side), that's the cold max.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Fluffiness means adjust your suspension.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Telomere wrote:Fluffiness means adjust your suspension.
Tires are part of the suspension
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:03 pm

42, that is at cold temp, right?

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:24 pm

DarcShadow wrote:42, that is at cold temp, right?
yes
K1600

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
Tires are part of the suspension
Er...

:HeadScratch: :-?

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:23 am

Ok got alot more agressive tonight but not as agressive as I wanted because my radar detector wouldnt stop going off... COPS EVERYWHERE! The tires feel wonderful. Better than the Pirelli's still. We will see with more time.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:08 pm

:icon_wss0be:
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Well ran em at the track, ran 30/30 and I'm thinking that was a little low for the temps outside because I had a hell of a lot of tire boogars for how hard I was pushing it.

Anyway, I didn't push them as hard as I pushed the 2CT's but I had 0 sliding, even when it came to scrubbing in I didn't slide. The change in tire profile was very apparent when going through rattlesnake but after a few laps I adjusted to the different feel.

If I get any kind of good mileage out of these, the'll be my regular tires for sure, very happy. Now i just need to register cression in CCW direction so I can do a true apples to apples compare, but to date, 2CT's are off my list forever.
K1600

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:50 am

tire boogars are common at the track, and to be expected, especially if you run hard.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:09 am

These things stuck like glue, I gotta say I'm very impressed for the price. A little slick the first session, but I blame the track / dust, not the tires. As the day wore on and the heat increased, I got more and more bite, even lifting the front a bit while still leaned over and gave it a bit too much punch. Not quite as confidence-inspiring as race tires, but indeed far better than 2CT's. I'm sold!
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 am

Blizzard_1708 wrote:tire boogars are common at the track, and to be expected, especially if you run hard.
I wasn't pushing that hard, and I had more boogars than Firewall and I know he was pushing harder than me so hense my assumption that maybe they were getting too hot.

I'm not sure if its heat that makes them or the track just ripping off shreds of tire, so maybe the lines I was running had more to do with it I dunno.
K1600

NickS
Achievement count: 0

Post by NickS » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:11 am

Don, what pressures did you run?
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'10 Kawasaki Z1000

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 am

fixxervi6 wrote:
Blizzard_1708 wrote:tire boogars are common at the track, and to be expected, especially if you run hard.
I wasn't pushing that hard, and I had more boogars than Firewall and I know he was pushing harder than me so hense my assumption that maybe they were getting too hot.

I'm not sure if its heat that makes them or the track just ripping off shreds of tire, so maybe the lines I was running had more to do with it I dunno.
The 1.7 is bad at tearing up tires because of the off camber turns. You're pushing the tires harder then you realize because of the "extra" lean. The surface is also rather ruff compaired to other tracks so the marble thing isn't really a sign of much. What you have to look at to judge pressure correctness is how the tire is wearing. There are a few threads on here, and several online that attempt to describe what sort of wear to expect at to high, to low, and just right pressures. I've never been able to figure that out though.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:31 am

I ran 30 in the front, 29 in the rear. I asked the Dunlop tire guy in the morning and he said to run 30/30 for Q2's, no matter rider weight. Don't worry about the boogers. You're picking those up from the track, hot rubber on your tires meets hot rubber on the track and it sticks together. The stickier the tires, the more you pick up and sling off. Race slicks will look all sorts of balled up boogered, as they are that much more stickier. Different lines can determine how much rubber you get. If you're running on the line everyone else is, well you'll get less of it because everyone in front of you already picked it up. All this rubber on the track just means additional traction, so the little boogers are certainly nothing to worry about.

As far as temperatures, it's not really something to be worried about either, unless you get real problems, like cold tearing or hot tearing (see http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5192952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for pics). I've dealt with both. Hot tearing is when you don't have enough air pressure in the tire. Cold tearing is when you have too much. Unless you're seeing that sort of wear, and you're within a couple PSI of what the tire manufacturer recommends for track day use (30PSI for Q2s), you don't have anything to worry about. Even running one PSI difference up or down won't make that much of a difference in temperature. I can promise you my tires were much hotter than yours on the track, no matter the weight difference between us, and bike engine size... temperature is impacted far more by accelleration, braking force, and cornering speed.
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 am

Firewa11 wrote:I ran 30 in the front, 29 in the rear. I asked the Dunlop tire guy in the morning and he said to run 30/30 for Q2's, no matter rider weight. Don't worry about the boogers. You're picking those up from the track, hot rubber on your tires meets hot rubber on the track and it sticks together. The stickier the tires, the more you pick up and sling off. Race slicks will look all sorts of balled up boogered, as they are that much more stickier. Different lines can determine how much rubber you get. If you're running on the line everyone else is, well you'll get less of it because everyone in front of you already picked it up. All this rubber on the track just means additional traction, so the little boogers are certainly nothing to worry about.

As far as temperatures, it's not really something to be worried about either, unless you get real problems, like cold tearing or hot tearing (see http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5192952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for pics). I've dealt with both. Hot tearing is when you don't have enough air pressure in the tire. Cold tearing is when you have too much. Unless you're seeing that sort of wear, and you're within a couple PSI of what the tire manufacturer recommends for track day use (30PSI for Q2s), you don't have anything to worry about. Even running one PSI difference up or down won't make that much of a difference in temperature. I can promise you my tires were much hotter than yours on the track, no matter the weight difference between us, and bike engine size... temperature is impacted far more by accelleration, braking force, and cornering speed.
Ok that explains the bugar differance, I'm sure I was running my own, new line just about every corner :) I noticed your's came back cleaner so I was wtf, maybe my pressure is low.
K1600

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 pm

When the new (1.3) section of the track was first added at Cresson and we first ran it (full configuration, 1.7 + 1.3 combined), you'd find your tires being balled up and boogered on the old section, and then cleaned off again on the new section. I doubt that's still the case anymore after several years of laying down rubber!
ImageImageImage