Parking on the sidewalk?

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Parking on the sidewalk?

Post by shilka99 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 pm

Saw this over the weekend here in Arlington. I walked past the guy as he was writing license plate numbers into his ticket pad.

Whats the legality of parking on the sidewalk here?
In Australia cops cant write tickets for this as its private property. How do things work here?
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

Re: Parking on the sidewalk?

Post by armedandinsain » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:05 pm

RC30fan wrote:Saw this over the weekend here in Arlington. I walked past the guy as he was writing license plate numbers into his ticket pad.
LMAO You have got to love the security guards at the parks mall I came out a few weeks ago to the same site and had the guard tell me " you are going to get a ticket if you dont move it right now " so in my mine ether A. he thinks he is a cop or B. he wants me to think he is a cop/ has the power the issue citations . so with a few "very respectful" 4 letter words I told him to give me one. well long story short he called arlington pd and had them ask me to please move my bike. from what they told me as long as i wasnt on a city side walk or blocking a cross walk I was fine. They can have your bike towed but most parking enforcement companys wont touch bikes. (at least the ones I have worked with)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling at the top of your lungs "Holy Shit...What a ride!"

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:47 am

From my limited experience, it's up to the business. 24 Hour fitness in Lake Worth let bikes park outside the front door. Wal-mart lets bikes park in the yellow hatched areas, but not the blue ones.
Revved up like a douche.

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:16 am

armedandinsain wrote:They can have your bike towed but most parking enforcement companys wont touch bikes. (at least the ones I have worked with)
You may be right, but I wouldn't bank on it. A few months ago, they towed about a dozen bikes at UTA for parking without decals (in motorcycle parking spots).
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 am

All bikes I've seen towed were done via a sling harness, which requires the tow truck to be able to lift up the bike and essentially hang it from the back of the winch / crane arm. It's a PITA, and takes time to do so. More chance for the owner to come back and lead to a confrontation. Also, since sportbikes are mostly plastic on the fairings, unless they REALLY know what they are doing, they run the chance of breaking said plastics. And then of course that comes back on the towing company.

So yeah, they *CAN* do it, but I would imagine most won't unless it's a 'show of force' situation like at UTA.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 am

UTA parking lots are not for public parking, there are a couple of lots that are for the public but thw majority you need a parking sticker/decal to park there.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 am

when I got a flat and had the bike towed, it was on a flatbed truck. Some tow companies will tow a motorcycle. Didnt had a canyon dancer, and now I forget how he set the suspension to take it to the dealership.

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 am

If it is not a city sidewalk, like the one in front of your house, you can not be cited for parking on a sidewalk. The sidewalk is private property and you can park there as long as the property owner allows you permission. If you don't have permission they can have you towed, and in a situation such as armedandinsanes an officer (if he really wanted)could probably cite you on trespassing. If the city has a legal definition of a parking space, as Dallas does, then it is possible to get cited; but again if you don't have permission from the property owner.

As for towing, most flatbed tow trucks have eylet loops on the bed. As long as the driver has tie down straps, he can roll the bike up there, strap it down and go.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 pm

thinking about it now, he probably either had eyelets like you say, or he used the same slits in the bed that he uses to strap a car to.

Bailout
Achievement count: 0

Post by Bailout » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 am

Cali. it is a guaranteed parking ticket. When I lived on hermosa my neighbors on the beach actually had chains and padlocks and if you parked on their private sidewalk or area at all they would chain up the bike!

Now living in Dallas I parked on the sidewalks of main street all the time and never had an issue as long as it wasnt past 2100. I do it all the time here, movie theatres, Academy, grocery stores, EVERYWHERE and nothing has ever been said.
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:10 am

I must admit i pretty much park where i want and never had trouble
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

PinkFiddy
Achievement count: 12

Post by PinkFiddy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:59 am

you my not be cited, but as joe stated, mall security guards sure do like to think they're cops. i remember the time j, grinner, will and i, and sauter too, all went to go see gi joe at rave and we'd just taken our gear off when rent a cop came up and told us to move our bikes. i thought it was dumb, but the boys abliged and moved them.

:o
I'm a big kid with the mentality of a Racoon & the energy of a Fiddy.
lalaloo!
Dolce Fonyete :D

NickS

Post by NickS » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:30 pm

I have received a ticket for parking in front of a store. Ticket was for "blocking handicapped access". Seems mostly to fall to the preference of whoever's sidewalk it is.
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'10 Kawasaki Z1000

GRex

Post by GRex » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:58 pm

In Europe, there are many bikes and scooters. Every place i have seen, they park on the sidewalks just like bicycles do here.
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2010 White/Silver 14RR T-Rex
2005 Pearl White T-Rex (Sold)
IBA# 41997
Image Image

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:34 am

Oversea's is crazy where people park, scooters and standard size vehicles!