Optrix

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Optrix

Post by milesmiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:22 pm

So for those who didn't see this at the motorcycle show i'll explain...This takes your phone and turns it into basically a gopro. Cost is $59(i have a code). I have an iphone 4s full 1080p with video stablizers etc... ect... The software app that comes with this is pretty amazing as well. I want to hear your thoughts on this. Yes cost is a factor. If i had the money for a gopro i would have one. Tell me what you think, go to their website and watch some videos etc...etc... About the only thing i'm worried about is losing my phone at the track lol

http://www.optrixhd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discuss...
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Re: Optrix

Post by WillK675 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Hmmm. my consern would be more the mount. It's using the quick release pin, to put pressure on the sides for the swivle of the case. I'd be conserened that that would wear out somewhat quickly, and you wouldn't be able to keep it steady. Not the greatest design there, IMO.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:41 pm

I held one and thought it was made really well, but that is something to think about. The more and more i think about it i believe this is the way to go. I have the phone to do it, so why don't i put it to good use?!?! This will let me see videos instant and i don't have to worry about buying memory cards or anything. Now do i want to buy this or a really good bottle of bourbon for a christmas gift to myself?
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Borboun for the christmas gift. You'll get immediate gratification from it. Buy the case in the spring when you'll actually start using it.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:00 pm

True dat(but don't tell anyone, i already have 8 bourbons right now :) )
The world needs Miles

Fender943
Achievement count: 14

Post by Fender943 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Hmm.. I think I may order one soon.
And if I lost my phone at the track it would be a good excuse to buy the 4s. :D
-Ryan
-1986 Ninja 1000r
-2004 Ninja 500r

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Didnt look at the link but if losing your phone is a worry, see if iphlem has a find my phone app lile the droid does. Then if you do lose your phone, just borry someone elses smartphone and you can locate it that way.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Yeah the new phone i have has tracking on it so it should be somewhat easy to find. Im' just worried about it falling off and someone running over it!!!
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:55 pm

A busted 4S is really expensive to replace.

GoPro is stated to be shock proof, and its a lot cheaper to replace.

Honostly, if I didn't have the dead presidents to buy a gopro, I sure woudn't be risking my phone.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Yeah, i guess i can wait while and give it some thought. I just like the idea of using the phone/screen with it better
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:10 pm

milesmiles wrote:Yeah, i guess i can wait while and give it some thought. I just like the idea of using the phone/screen with it better
Gopros have screen options, and on a bike, that screen would just be another distraction.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah it's more money to add on and then a video card so then price wise it's gettin on up there. As far as screen on the bike, no worries i have zero interest seeing whats going on the screen while i'm on the track. It's winter, i'm just gong to sit back and enjoy my bourbon. I'll look into it next riding season. Thanks for the opinions
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:14 pm

milesmiles wrote:Yeah it's more money to add on and then a video card so then price wise it's gettin on up there. As far as screen on the bike, no worries i have zero interest seeing whats going on the screen while i'm on the track. It's winter, i'm just gong to sit back and enjoy my bourbon. I'll look into it next riding season. Thanks for the opinions
Or suck it up and get your ass out there.

I'm riding this weekend

<-- not a pansey
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:17 pm

<---pansey, scared little bitch. But call me if you go :)
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:18 pm

will do
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:14 am

I like the idea.... if you have a problem with the loss of the phone just use Fixxers old iphone... he dont use it anymore.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:31 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:Or suck it up and get your ass out there.

I'm riding this weekend

<-- not a pansey
Uh huh. :)

You can claim that when there *aren't* a bunch of bikes out on the road. Mid 50's isn't brave.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:49 am

Can I claim that I am not a pansey?
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:26 am

DemonDuck wrote:Can I claim that I am not a pansey?
Former Marines are never pansies. You could be wearing Hello Kitty pajamas and making flower wreaths and you'd still be a badass. :D

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 am

YES! But to make it clear I do ride in everything but ice on the ground.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Bailout
Achievement count: 0

Post by Bailout » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 am

Rhino wrote:
Former Marines are never pansies. You could be wearing Hello Kitty pajamas and making flower wreaths and you'd still be a badass. :D

What the hell is a "Former Marine"??
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

Post by armedandinsain » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Bailout wrote:
Rhino wrote:

What the hell is a "Former Marine"??
You got me on that one. I had alway been told you ether are one or your not. Never known any former.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling at the top of your lungs "Holy Shit...What a ride!"

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:35 pm

armedandinsain wrote:
Bailout wrote:What the hell is a "Former Marine"??
You got me on that one. I had alway been told you ether are one or your not. Never known any former.
It's the term I've heard from Marines to describe Marines who are no longer on duty.

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

Post by armedandinsain » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 pm

I know back in ROTC when we went to MCRD in the summers the DIs would tell us once a marine always one same goes for aggies.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling at the top of your lungs "Holy Shit...What a ride!"

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:50 am

It is true once a marine always a marine but the term former was actually put in place by the marine corps to take the place of ex... even though it means the same thing. I would say that the article that I will post after this shows how most of us feel about it..... We are in general on the butter-cutter's side.

The Butter-Cutter On “Once A Marine, Always A Marine”

As I approached the virtual chow line, The Butter-Cutter was in a heated conversation with the Mess Sergeant. When he was free, I walked up and asked, “What was that about?”

“I don't understand it! He's been a Marine for almost 20 years 'n' he introduces a retired Marine gunner sergeant as a 'former Marine' He's a GUNNERY SERGEANT 'n' he should be called Marine 'n' not FORMER Marine especially by another Marine!” The Butter-Cutter explained with obvious irritation. “Damn it! If the Corps advertises, 'Once a Marine, always a Marine' why don't Marines practice it?”

“In the late '70s early '80s,” I began to explain, “Marines no longer on active duty were called 'ex-Marines' and Headquarters, USMC came out with an order, or something or the other, saying that from then on Marines should no-longer be called ex-Marines but former Marines.”

“Yer shittin' me? Didn't they have a dictionary up there? 'Ex' 'n' 'former' mean the same freakin' thing-NO LONGER!” The Butter-Cutter blurted out in disbelief. “Or, no-one at Headquarters knew how to use one? That must be it; so, they pulled 'former' out of their ass like they do so much other shit! The real grabber in all this is: if someone calls a Marine a former Marine, he's calling him a 'has-been Marine!' Did ya know that?”

“Oh, come on! Don't get carried away!” I told The Butter-Cutter. “These are just words . . .”

“Like hell! When ya use the wrong word; ya communicate the wrong message. An', if that ain't bad enough, when ya repeat the wrong word 'n' then argue it's the right word, ya convince people, who can read 'n' write, that yer stupid!” he interjected.

“Alright! Alright! If former is the wrong word, how about using 'veteran'? Some have suggested that a Marine no longer on active duty should be called, veteran Marine,” I added further.

The Butter-Cutter glared at me and said, “Ya know? Yer givin' me a headache. Accordin' ta MY book-the one that says what words mean-- VETERAN is a, 'former member of the armed forces!' So, when ya call a Marine no longer on active duty veteran Marine, by the book, yer callin' him a former Marine 'n' a has-been. Listen closely: 'Once a Marine, always a Marine!' THE word here is ALWAYS--while on active duty, while on reserve duty, while on no duty, while on civilian after-duty, ALWAYS a Marine! Why's that so hard fer ya ta understand?”

“I understand. I'm only trying to tell you the different ways this issue has been treated. In fact, I have long found it curious why Marines didn't question the former label. But, if you call someone Marine won't that be confusing? How will the listener know if the subject Marine is on active duty or not?”

“That's simple,” said The Butter-Cutter. “If ya gotta explain it, ya say,

'This is retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant so 'n' so.' What's so hard about that?” he asked.

“Fine. What about honorably discharged Marines?” I asked.

“Hello! Ya say, 'Private Schmekatella is an honorably discharged Marine.' Listen closely, there's just one more word in sayin' honorably discharged Marine over sayin' former Marine 'n', on top o' that, yer publicly recognizin' the Marine's honorable service!” he replied.

“Do we really have to say the word honorably aloud to recognize such service? It seems to me that . . .”

The Butter-Cutter cut me off, saying, “Ya stuck on stupid er somethin'? Of course ya gotta say honorably aloud ta publically recognize it. It's about gettin' other people, like civilian pukes, ta see who has done the right thing by servin' honorably--If ya DON'T tell 'em; they DON'T know!”

“OK. You have some interesting ideas. But, your first obstacle is changing a Marine Corps-wide 30-year plus habit in using the term, former Marine; how would you do that?” I asked.

“No problem! Get the Commandant ta come here ta the virtual mess hall 'n' I'll tell him: Sir, Commandant, Sir! Ya gotta say ta the Marine Corps:

'It is time we all practiced, “Once a Marine, always a Marine” instead of giving it lip service. From now on, Marines who are no longer on active duty will be called, “Marines” and not, “former Marines.” We will all do this, because, once they became Marines, they became our brothers and sisters; and, in keeping with our tradition of fidelity, we will never recognize a member of our family as a has-been, but always as a Marine!' “

Semper Once A Marine, Always A Marine,

Anthony F. Milavic

Major USMC (Ret.)
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold